Stainless steel

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Check out walmart, look in their stationary section, there you can find a litany of magnet bulletin boards, in all manner of sizes.

Then get your self some 3M 4408, 1/2 wide, 1/8" thick double sided tape. It works excellently on stainless, especially that stuff GE uses.

Make sure you put the board on right where you want it though, once it up, it may not want to come off, lol.

Thanks bear
We (Jan and I)are not unhappy that we lost the magnetic fridge door. Our kitchen floor is Terracotta clay tiles and stepping on a fridge magnet in your stocking feet can be unpleasant. I thought maybe a magnetic bulletin board on the back of their bedroom doors. Any loose magnets will likely be caught by the vacuum cleaner and the problem will eventually solve itself.:lol:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Thanks bear
We (Jan and I)are not unhappy that we lost the magnetic fridge door. Our kitchen floor is Terracotta clay tiles and stepping on a fridge magnet in your stocking feet can be unpleasant. I thought maybe a magnetic bulletin board on the back of their bedroom doors. Any loose magnets will likely be caught by the vacuum cleaner and the problem will eventually solve itself.:lol:
You must have experience with lego too eh? I swear some podiatrist developed lego to increase business, lol.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Juan - great idea getting separate BBoards for the kids

Ahem - are you and the Mrs. a bit more "lenient" on the grandkids than you were with your own kids?

I think by the time parents become "grandparents" they are ready to be remodeled by any attention a
little squirt will require and grandkids get away with murder compared to what their parents were
allowed...hehe

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Juan, what about getting shocks from the stainless steel.

Years ago I worked at sears mail order during the Xmas rush, we had to wear 'all cotton' underwear,
advised by management, to avoid getting shocks while wrapping orders on the big stainless steel
counters in our cubicles.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Juan, what about getting shocks from the stainless steel.

Years ago I worked at sears mail order during the Xmas rush, we had to wear 'all cotton' underwear,
advised by management, to avoid getting shocks while wrapping orders on the big stainless steel
counters in our cubicles.
That was likely due to the fact that the tables were not grounded out. It was a common problem at Honda's seat plant when assembling the foam seats.

The bodies of household appliances are grounded out.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
nope, you're not missing anything, other than the fact that you never realized before that stainless steel is typically non-magnetic.

Here's a sciency explanation for you.... Why isn't stainless steel magnetic? › Ask an Expert (ABC Science)

Now that the power is hooked up and the water it connected, and the fridge is doing it's thing, I can fritter over details. My little bar magnet sticks to the
S.S. kitchen sink and to the S.S. parts on the stove and the dishwasher. I've done a bit of reading and obviously the
stainless steel in the fridge has less iron and nickel in it than the other stainless steel around the kitchen. God I'm clever.....:lol:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Over the last year and a half we have bought all new kitchen appliances. The first appliance we bought was a
dishwasher with a stainless steel door. Next we bought a stove that had the smooth top and stainless every where else.
Today we took delivery of a Kenmore "Elite" refrigerator. It cost an extra $300.00 to have a stainless steel door. Funny thing is,
that a magnet won't stick to the S.S. door.
Am I missing something here?
Consider yourself lucky that the magnets don't stick. I have often read through the "houses for sale" ads and I don't think any of us realize how ugly our refrigerators become when they are all cluttered up with notes, appts., pictures, memo's, and even just the magnets themselves can be just awful. I vowed to never let my fridge look like that again but I made a serious mistake. I took all the crap off it and enjoyed having the ability to actually see my fridge in the room. I did not make myself throw the magnets away. My fridge is not as cluttered as it used to be but - it certainly has it's share. We no longer notice the notes of any importance left there because there is too much around them to notice them. Drove our car around without insurance for two days but the reminder was right there magnetized to our fridge!!! Might have stayed there forever if our son had not noticed that our insurance had expired.

Now That's Pretty SWEET #juan!!! I'm 6'2" & actually loose stuff
in the back of my normal fridge. It's below my line of sight.

That wouldn't happen in your fridge, at all....
Bend your knees, then bend at the waist to your left (then to your right) turn your head to the point of being almost upside down and look under your glass shelves. It's much easier than trying to move everything around to find that one little item you are sure you saw just a few days before. It also helps to be 5 feet tall. However, hubby is 6' 3" and I have seen him down on his haunches searching under the glass.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Juan, that's darn near the same fridge I got, only, because I have kids I a)didn't want the constant polishing and b)wanted my fridge to be a message board/display space, so, I went with white.

We want to downsize our big 14 or 16 cubic foot chest freezer. The new fridge has a 7.2 cu. ft. freezer and we should be able to get by with a 7 or 8 cu. ft chest freezer and get rid of the old one.
Btw there is something on the market that reportedly solves the fingerprint problem.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
We want to downsize our big 14 or 16 cubic foot chest freezer. The new fridge has a 7.2 cu. ft. freezer and we should be able to get by with a 7 or 8 cu. ft chest freezer and get rid of the old one.
Btw there is something on the market that reportedly solves the fingerprint problem.

yeah, white fridges. lol. I really prefer the look of a white kitchen, so, for me it wasn't a sacrifice to get rid of the stainless steel. Let me know if you find a solution though, I've always got other moms who have that issue.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I used to have a lime oil spray that worked wonders on my SS, but I had bought it while living up north, and couldn't find it here in the city.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Try Weimans Karrie. I like white appliances just like you do but I do have some SS stuff around. One day I grabbed my cooktop cleaner and tried it on my SS teapot. In only seconds the pot looked like new. It works on my cooktop like no other cleaner. I've had my stove for 8 years and the top still looks like new.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Lagostino also makes an excellent acidic cleaner but it's doesn't have the protective coating ingredient like the Weimans.

The lagostino also works fantastic on chrome on autos.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I used to have a thing of weimans, it worked well, but, after committing to 'green' cleaners, I just pour soap on my stove top, add washing soda and borax until it's all a paste, and it works just as well. :)