SPLIT thread: Why to do anything about global warming

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Re: What to do about global warming

This thread is about global warming. I want to know where the warmth is. It's only 13 degrees here - less than half what it should be and I'm damn near frozen. It' almost 20 in my house but I'm in need of a nice hot shower to rid myself of the chill in the air! Brrrr to global warming. :)

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

This thread is about global warming. I want to know where the warmth is. It's only 13 degrees here - less than half what it should be and I'm damn near frozen. It' almost 20 in my house but I'm in need of a nice hot shower to rid myself of the chill in the air! Brrrr to global warming. :)

We're on our 3rd day of snow in Southern Alberta... This global warming thingy is a real b*tch

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

We're on our 3rd day of snow in Southern Alberta... This global warming thingy is a real b*tch
lol

I didn't realize that the West Coast and AB were globes. ;)

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

The topic of this thread is what to do about global warming.

Further deviations will lead to moved posts. There's plenty of threads on this forum discussing the physical basis of global warming and climate change.

Pretty strong reaction dontcha think?

Regarding what to do about global warming?... Nothing, it's like worrying about how to stop the tides from rising and falling.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Spectroscopic evidence says otherwise. And regarding the ocean tides, global warming is also concomitant with ocean acidification, another huge problem.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I was also taken back at the decision to move this. My post was light hearted and was not leading into a major discussion about the weather. I think there was a pretty big exaggerated move here. The discussion was still on the outer fringes of the name of the post. I doubt it would have moved into anything bad or any big discussion about the daily weather. It was like someone was laying in wait for the chance to show everyone that it really will happen. I agree with the concept but I think there is a fine line in this case.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

You're talking "weather", VanIsle, Global warming is about climate (weather over several years) anyway, with this catastrophe in the Gulf of Mexico which is likely to bring about the end of the world as we know it, global warming will be a moot issue. Maybe just as well, the human animal has become greedy pretty well beyond the point of no return. Hopefully the human animal destroys itself before it destroys the planet. They can be such A$$holes.............:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

hermite

Not so newbie now
Nov 21, 2007
950 Snowupthearse Rd. Can
I'm liking it so far. Here in No Ontario I've already got tomatoes in my garden that are knee-high.

And I'm being facetious. I've long avoided getting into this discussion here but I finally feel I must say something. First, it's not global warming, it's climate CHANGE. That's why there's snow where there should be heat and vise versa. And what it portends is that all weather will become much more extreme. Like we just had 30+ for three days, in May! Record-setting (that means it's never happened before).

What I've done is give up my car. Two years ago. I understand, people gotta have their vehicles for this and that. But I got so tired of seeing thousands upon thousands of huge automobiles going about with just one person in them. So now I car pool, ride share, bicycle, walk. And if everyone were to do that, just think of all the emissions that would be cut down as well as how much less oil we'd need to survive.

I've also given up watching TV. But that's a rant for another day. :smile:

Over and out.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm liking it so far. Here in No Ontario I've already got tomatoes in my garden that are knee-high.

And I'm being facetious. I've long avoided getting into this discussion here but I finally feel I must say something. First, it's not global warming, it's climate CHANGE. That's why there's snow where there should be heat and vise versa. And what it portends is that all weather will become much more extreme. Like we just had 30+ for three days, in May! Record-setting (that means it's never happened before).

What I've done is give up my car. Two years ago. I understand, people gotta have their vehicles for this and that. But I got so tired of seeing thousands upon thousands of huge automobiles going about with just one person in them. So now I car pool, ride share, bicycle, walk. And if everyone were to do that, just think of all the emissions that would be cut down as well as how much less oil we'd need to survive.

Over and out.

Intelligent you are Hermite. I would suggest what is happening is POLAR WARMING. The use of the automobile has definitely reached the extreme. I say if you can walk, walk. It's better for health and saves a lot of money and everyone these days is short of money it seems. What it is, is a bad habit that is hard to break, but I would suggest to start, walk any distance less than 1/2 mile and go up from there.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I walk as much as I can, not because I believe in man made global warming, but to reduce air pollution.....So I don't really care what everyone else believes in, as long as I breathe cleaner air:lol:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I walk as much as I can, not because I believe in man made global warming, but to reduce air pollution.....So I don't really care what everyone else believes in, as long as I breathe cleaner air:lol:

Good thinking- It seems these days most people have to attribute (blame) someone/thing for everything that happens. We should just accept it that things are what they are and set about improving it. We know fumes are detrimental, so the solution is obvious- reduce them....................:smile::smile:

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I'm still not sure what side I am on in the Climate Change Debate: there appears to be misinformation, incomplete information, scare tactics and induced hysteria on both sides to the point that I wish most people on both sides would shut the f*** up.

That being said, I think some of the measures that can be taken to "combat" climate change aren't such bad ideas. Relating back to the discussion on falling Canadian productivity, we need to encourage more R & D in many segments of our economy, and areas like reducing waste materials and energy consmuption are key. Re-using materials, getting more use out of the energy we consume, these are things we need to encourage. Whether climate change is a man-made problem or something cyclical and integral to the planet, conservation measures make us more efficient and save money/resources in the long run. Conversely there are things advocated by "environmentalists" that I think are absolute crap, such as the whole cap & trade systems for green house gas emissions (spare me the rationalizations, its a false measure that relies on some arbitrary negotiated benchmarks that reflect economic strength, not the actual pollution levels of the participants).

Reactions: Ron in Regina

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

Over and out.
The northern hemisphere is losing ice hand over fist, the southern hemisphere is experiencing the hottest summers they had for long periods of time, the oceans' average mean temperatures are rising and yet the globe isn't warming. Interesting.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Time magazine! You don't have two clues Avro.

Sure he does. Now show us how many clues you have, and explain why you think a change over two years is noteworthy? Is it even outside the standard deviation of the long-term trend?