Some Tim Hortons Cancell Paid Breaks in Ont over wage hike

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Nobody said it was, but the 20%-30% of salary number quoted is simply not realistic for these minimum wage jobs that generally provide no "benefits"(as in anything above what is legally required).

If you start bringing in stuff like the cost of running an office, that is stretching far beyond what we are talking about.

You think cheques get written for free?

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
In some provinces, the employer is required to kick-in for healthcare premiums, then there is the secondary things like insurance that the employer gets on behalf of the employee or (essentially) standard bennies like RRSP matching schemes. Despite the aforementioned being tax deductions, you only really get back a portion of the funds

How many minimum wage jobs actually include benefits like insurance and RRSP matching?

As we have already mentioned, the health premium in Ontario is 1-2% depending on payroll.

It doesn't take long for these numbers to add up to something more substantial than buddies idea of 5-6%

Where on earth did I say it was 5-6%? I quoted you numbers on mandatory costs that I could think of off the top of my head. At this point we seem to be up to around 10%. What other costs are minimum wage employers realistically going to incur?

Those numbers are entirely dependent on the track record of the company

You can see the rate table yourself.

2014 Premium rates table

You think cheques get written for free?

Of course, but does that make up the 10-20% of their salary in costs that we seem to be missing here?

Last edited:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
How many minimum wage jobs actually include benefits like insurance and RRSP matching?

As we have already mentioned, the health premium in Ontario is 1-2% depending on payroll.

Who says this is exclusively about min wage jobs here?

btw - you don't get insurance and something happens, you're potentially looking at a law suit.

Where on earth did I say it was 5-6%? I quoted you numbers on mandatory costs that I could think of off the top of my head. At this point we seem to be up to around 10%. What other costs are minimum wage employers realistically going to incur?

You provided #'s for EI & CPP and pretended that is all there was mandated. That total came to just over 6%

On that note, you can't get your head around the idea that there are more costs than what YOU just see removed off your cheque.. Some mandated by gvt and others mandated by the marketplace (ie competition)

You can see the rate table yourself.

2014 Premium rates table

Any thoughts on what happens to those rates for each and every claim that is filed... Incidents and near-misses can affect it too.

Learn this sh*t yourself.. Google is your friend

Of course, but does that make up the 10-20% of their salary in costs that we seem to be missing here?

See above.

Life is not as cut and dry as you think it is... You want to really learn? Put up some of your own cash and start a business. You'll find out really quick how the balance of the suggested % builds in no time at all.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Who says this is exclusively about min wage jobs here?

btw - you don't get insurance and something happens, you're potentially looking at a law suit.

Because minimum wage is what this thread is about and what the post was about when you responded.......

You provided #'s for EI & CPP and pretended that is all there was mandated. That total came to just over 6%

On that note, you can't get your head around the idea that there are more costs than what YOU just see removed off your cheque.. Some mandated by gvt and others mandated by the marketplace (ie competition)

Lol, "CPP is 4.95%, EI is 2.632%(for the employer). What else are you talking about?"

First off, 4.95+2.632=.........6?

Second, it is a question. You can tell by that funny mark at the end.

So far in Ontario we have added up 4.95 for CPP, 2.632 for EI, 1.72% for WSIB, up to 1.95% for health tax.

That is a little over 11%. Again, what else is required?

Any thoughts on what happens to those rates for each and every claim that is filed... Incidents and near-misses can affect it too.

Learn this sh*t yourself.. Google is your friend

You tell me. This is what the government says on their site. If you can find other rates, please show me.

See above.

Life is not as cut and dry as you think it is... You want to really learn? Put up some of your own cash and start a business. You'll find out really quick how the balance of the suggested % builds in no time at all.

What sort of business do you run?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Lol, "CPP is 4.95%, EI is 2.632%(for the employer). What else are you talking about?"

First off, 4.95+2.632=.........6?

Second, it is a question. You can tell by that funny mark at the end.

So far in Ontario we have added up 4.95 for CPP, 2.632 for EI, 1.72% for WSIB, up to 1.95% for health tax.

That is a little over 11%. Again, what else is required?

I can see why you are on the receiving end of so much derision on these boards.

At no time did I state that this was exclusively about min wage in Ontario, but let's go with it all the same.

Not all WSIB (WCB) is pegged at 1.72%. Further, you have dodged the point of how those rates are affected with each claim (hint: they go way up). You have also ignored the non-mandated costs that every employer includes such as insurance, etc.

The 11% you 'found' in your uber-superficial analysis is just the start.

Like I have said many times now, ask the HR person where you work (or used to) and get the skinny directly from them

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
I can see why you are on the receiving end of so much derision on these boards.

This should have been over in two posts.

"Doesn't this assume that they are actually providing benefits"

"Yes"

Done.

The mandatory stuff does add up, but it is nowhere near the number you quote. When you start adding stuff like life insurance, health insurance, pension, etc, it definitely can grow to that level and beyond though.

What kind of business do you run btw?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
This should have been over in two posts.

"Doesn't this assume that they are actually providing benefits"

"Yes"

Done.

The mandatory stuff does add up, but it is nowhere near the number you quote. When you start adding stuff like life insurance, health insurance, pension, etc, it definitely can grow to that level and beyond though.

What kind of business do you run btw?

WCB isn't a bennie Einstein, nor is insurance of as Petros pointed-out, bonding.

You are such a clown

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
WCB isn't a bennie Einstein, nor is insurance of as Petros pointed-out, bonding.

You are such a clown

Lol, where did I claim it was?

How about we just put this to rest.

Do you think it actually costs 20-30% in direct costs on top of the employees salary if they don't provide any benefits(i.e. nothing beyond what is mandatory)?

Last edited:

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
You are such a clown

His favorite sport......................
.....this is what a debate is to him.....

quit wasting your time:lol:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Just to be clear, $15/hour is from the story that Eagle posted. The minimum wage increase in Ontario was a $0.50 increase from $10.50/hour to $11.00/hour.

Dollar wise staff are down about $2.75 on a five hour shift. Assuming everyone is paid minimum wage of course.

Under employment law in Ontario employers are not required to pay for breaks, they are required to provide for an unpaid 30 minute break after five hours.

I hate to correct you (please don't kill me!), but minimum wage was $10.25.;) That's only a $0.75 increase, so it's not like it's a huge amount for the workers.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I hate to correct you (please don't kill me!), but minimum wage was $10.25.;) That's only a $0.75 increase, so it's not like it's a huge amount for the workers.

Lol, you're right, I was off by a quarter.

As to whether you live or die, well that depends very much on what you do next. ;)