Some Tim Hortons Cancell Paid Breaks in Ont over wage hike

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Just to be clear, $15/hour is from the story that Eagle posted. The minimum wage increase in Ontario was a $0.50 increase from $10.50/hour to $11.00/hour.

Dollar wise staff are down about $2.75 on a five hour shift. Assuming everyone is paid minimum wage of course.

Under employment law in Ontario employers are not required to pay for breaks, they are required to provide for an unpaid 30 minute break after five hours.

bingo!!!

thanks for reading the OP!

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Figure out what they save per day.
Now figure out upset employees.
A stupid move.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Paid lunches before?.. I call horsebaloney on that claim.
It is likely their 15 minute breaks which they are eliminating. so on a 3 or 4 hour shift you don't get a 15 minute break which before would have been paid...now you work through your shift...if however you work for 5 or more hours they must give you a half hour unpaid break

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The hotel is trying to recoup losses. Those were benefits that employees received from the employer. So because they aren't getting them now you think that stealing is justifiable?

The employees can go... others will take their place.
Replacing employees is a bigger expense than providing a few extra peanuts. If they can do and would rather do that then the crying over increased minimum wage is a crock.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It is likely their 15 minute breaks which they are eliminating. so on a 3 or 4 hour shift you don't get a 15 minute break which before would have been paid...now you work through your shift...if however you work for 5 or more hours they must give you a half hour unpaid break

To my way of thinking it would seem normal NOT to be paid while NOT working! -:)

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
To my way of thinking it would seem normal NOT to be paid while NOT working! -:)
factories give their employees breaks and many many other places of employment do as well

it depends upon the mentality of management, their understanding of leadership and motivation

it meets the labour laws not to pay

smart employers perk their employees in various ways to build loyalty and group cohesion

it depends upon what one wishes from their employees and the plans in place to reach that goal

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
factories give their employees breaks and many many other places of employment do as well

it depends upon the mentality of management, their understanding of leadership and motivation

smart employers perk their employees in various ways to build loyalty and group cohesion

it depends upon what one wishes from their employees and the plans in place to reach that goal
So true. If they are bent on proving themselves to be spiteful then they will not succeed. Nothing reduces productivity more than bad leadership.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Replacing employees is a bigger expense than providing a few extra peanuts. If they can do and would rather do that then the crying over increased minimum wage is a crock.
yes it costs several thousand dollars to train a minimum wage employee

new can not produce like trained and motivated

experience matters

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Something is wrong when you have to pay an employee for NOT working!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Something is wrong when you have to pay an employee for NOT working!

I have worked since I was 15. Up until the time I reached management, I was given 15 minute breaks in a four hour shift at all the places of my employment over the years. Now I am back in the ranks of non management many of the schools in our Board give you a break. Others do not.

when in management i preferred they take breaks when possible...they knew they could stop for some food and a quick drink. I found it motivating for them to know they were getting a break. Not to mention I didn't want someone passing out on the floor because their blood sugar dropped.

they take the time anyway...I would rather control it but then it depends upon how you lead your teams and what you find motivates people

i was always big on the carrot, not the stick

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I have worked since I was 15. Up until the time I reached management, I was given 15 minute breaks in a four hour shift at all the places of my employment over the years. Now I am back in the ranks of non management many of the schools in our Board give you a break. Others do not.

when in management i preferred they take breaks when possible...they knew they could stop for some food and a quick drink. I found it motivating for them to know they were getting a break. Not to mention I didn't want someone passing out on the floor because their blood sugar dropped.

they take the time anyway...I would rather control it but then it depends upon how you lead your teams and what you find motivates people

i was always big on the carrot, not the stick

Yep, I guess paid coffee breaks are the norm these days. I worked on one job years ago where we got paid right through 10 hours we were allowed to eat lunch and drink coffee but we couldn't stop working. The pay at the time was $1 an hour. -:)

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Those employees are also ostensibly working for you and making you money every hour they are working.

In every economic change, there are winners and loser. The test isn't if you can find one sad case. The test is if people are better off overall. For every employer that does something like this, there will be others that don't and lots of people making more money.

Prices may change depending on how much the increase in wages is, but the fact is that if current prices don't support a living wage, then prices are too low.

Yer not up on economics are you? I detect a little trickle down lunnie in you. Every major employer does this or it does not become a major employer. Yes inflated prices has always saved economies. You're not in line to be Canadas next Minister of Fiance are you? Calling the economic disaster change is technically correct howerver calling it an unprecedented economic disaster is more fact based. Only war can hahahahafix this economy.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Yer not up on economics are you? I detect a little trickle down lunnie in you. Every major employer does this or it does not become a major employer. Yes inflated prices has always saved economies. You're not in line to be Canadas next Minister of Fiance are you? Calling the economic disaster change is technically correct howerver calling it an unprecedented economic disaster is more fact based. Only war can hahahahafix this economy.

Did you quote the wrong post?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Sure, I never disagreed that there was more than just EI/CPP. The point is that the mandated stuff is nowhere near 20%-30%. That figure that is often cited includes benefits on top of what is mandated, which likely isn't a common issue for minimum wage employers.

CPP, EI Workers comp are mandated. There is also the cost of running the office. No idea what compo is in fat food places but for my work it can run 13%

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Yep, I guess paid coffee breaks are the norm these days. I worked on one job years ago where we got paid right through 10 hours we were allowed to eat lunch and drink coffee but we couldn't stop working. The pay at the time was $1 an hour. -:)

My first job was fifty cents an hour,you musta been in the office. I had for lunch a home cooked meal, of spectacular farm cooking, in my employers kitchen. This was where I learned to shovel sh it, tons of it expertly placed every hours. The stables of hades, I joking, I loved picking rocks off fields with Mary the horse what drug the rock cart. I might apply for a job tomorrow. not

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The price of the product must reflect the real cost of producing the service.
I get that, but its more about managing resources than simply not paying the
workers. For years they have been inventing excuses not to pay and perhaps
they should have been looking for ways to increase their business.
I won't stop buying coffee or eating at facilities that is like saying when cigarettes
reach fifty cents a pack I 'll quit smoking, When I started they were 36 cents a pack
when I quit in 97 they were nearly five dollars. I didn't quit over cost I quit over health.
Food outlets and service oriented businesses will have to actually figure out what
their customers want and build there service around the value they provide. When
that happens it will be good for industry.
I know the cost per hour when I hire people there is more than one and the cost is
considerable. If I hire people who are experienced and paid well I make it back
later with delivering quality product to the packinghouse

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
CPP, EI Workers comp are mandated. There is also the cost of running the office. No idea what compo is in fat food places but for my work it can run 13%

You are really stretching and missing the original point.

Anyways, WSIB premiums for restaurants in Ontario are 1.72% of payroll. 13% is for logging companies. Even a mining operation only pays 8%.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

In some provinces, the employer is required to kick-in for healthcare premiums, then there is the secondary things like insurance that the employer gets on behalf of the employee or (essentially) standard bennies like RRSP matching schemes. Despite the aforementioned being tax deductions, you only really get back a portion of the funds

It doesn't take long for these numbers to add up to something more substantial than buddies idea of 5-6%

Anyways, WSIB premiums for restaurants in Ontario are 1.72% of payroll. 13% is for logging companies. Even a mining operation only pays 8%.

Those numbers are entirely dependent on the track record of the company

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Nope. I ran a business for a lot of years. Having employees is not cheap.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Nope. I ran a business for a lot of years. Having employees is not cheap.

Nobody said it was, but the 20%-30% of salary number quoted is simply not realistic for these minimum wage jobs that generally provide no "benefits"(as in anything above what is legally required).

If you start bringing in stuff like the cost of running an office, that is stretching far beyond what we are talking about.