Small businesses to start paying their fair share

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Liberals,,,, Tax and Spend !!

Borrow and spend. That's even worse than tax and spend. Unfortunately, the Conservatives are just as bad but in a different way. Liberals increase spending but refuse to raise taxes to cover the increase in expenditure. Conservatives reduce taxes but refuse to reduce expenditure to compensate.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
This policy is about those that are incorporated, but we all know that landscaper who just does work on the side for cash as well.

And there is you tax cheater. Working under the table.

If you think lunch is a right off, you've never filed a TD2.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
How exactly would that tax work?

Come to think of it, I guess taxing addictive products and services would more or less look like what you're proposing, no?

Think of those taxes as higher health care premiums for people with risky passtimes. Smokers SHOULD pay more because they're going to cost a lot more .. until they croak, anyway.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Think of those taxes as higher health care premiums for people with risky passtimes. Smokers SHOULD pay more because they're going to cost a lot more .. until they croak, anyway.

That's why I proposed, and I'll quote it again, with emphasis this time:

I would support no business taxes as the default. Then taxes on specific businesses as exceptions:

1. Natural-resource-extraction.

2. Animal-husbandry.

3. Addictive products and services (e.g. tobacco, alcohol, marijuana, lottery tickets, etc.)

Maybe we could make them pay a 1/3 tax on net profits.

What other business should pay any tax and why?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
That's why I proposed, and I'll quote it again, with emphasis this time:

I would support no business taxes as the default. Then taxes on specific businesses as exceptions:

2. Animal-husbandry.

3. Addictive products and services (e.g. tobacco, alcohol, marijuana, lottery tickets, etc.)

None. They employ us. Why penalize them for that? Talk about throttling the goose that lays them golden eggs.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
None. They employ us. Why penalize them for that? Talk about throttling the goose that lays them golden eggs.

So we agree then. Other than those three categories (the first, to preserve the earth's resources, the second due to its being resource-intensive, and the third due to the physiological, mental-health, or social impact), I really don't see any reason for taxing any other business.

And as for addictive products and services, not only should those businesses pay a tax, but their right to advertise their products and services should be strictly limited.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

2. Animal-husbandry.

Whores and bootleggers because they are generally ripping off the customer.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Whores and bootleggers because they are generally ripping off the customer.

Wouldn't they both fall into the third category above anyway? :)

Another point. If you just raise taxes on all businesses, then how does that change behaviours compared to if you lower taxes on desirable businesses and raise them only on undesirable businesses?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The right to regular maintenance with uncontaminated fluids?? Ever see a real list of the stuff that is put on our plates?? You want bots to have it better??