Small businesses to start paying their fair share

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Let's say I'm a dentist, and I want to have my professional corporation invest in, say, Bell stock.

Should that be allowed?
How about you invest in dentistry companies instead. If you need more money you should have become an investment banker.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I tried to open a new thread to post this comment, but because I just joined a week ago, my posting permissions are limited.
So, if yuh don't mind, I will post my comment here ....

Bank of Canada Rate Increase:

I recall that Justin Trudeau won the election because he promised to borrow billions of dollars and "Jump Start" the economy.

Here we are, some 2 years later, and the economy is so hot and expanding so rapidly, that the Bank of Canada needed to punish every citizen with an interest rate hike. And, there is such a shortage of workers that we need to scrounge the world seeking out thousands of warm bodies just to fill our labour requirements.

And, not only are Canadians paying the interest on the billions borrowed by Trudeau, but added to that are the additional costs to my mortgage payment and credit card balances.

Plus; the Canadian dollar has increased in value and will destroy our export market.

I can't understand how we gained anything by injecting "Borrowed" money into the economy.

Maybe we were better off voting NDP who promised just to tinker with the economy and not take on more debt?

Calm

Higher interest rates are not all bad. As you noted the Canadian dollar has gone up - that makes imports cheaper possibly offsetting the increase in mortgage and personal rates. And increased government spending during a time of economic downturn is based on Keynesian Economics. It doesn't always work, but the apparent boom in the Canadian economy may be due to increased government spending.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The other interesting part of this change is that family members living on farms will no longer be able to share in the farm income without ridiculous hurdles to prove to CRA that they're working enough to qualify.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Also, if a farmer rents a field to another farmer, that will be considered passive income, and won't be allowed.

How about you invest in dentistry companies instead. If you need more money you should have become an investment banker.

Okay, but investing in dentistry companies won't be allowed either.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Should Gov't. be sticking its nose into the affairs of business people? They employ people! The fewer encumbrances imposed, the more they are able to pay the worker.....................that's the way to improve minimum wage.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Proposed tax changes would be better for small businesses

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Getting a "red" from M.F. doesn't exactly come as a shock! In fact a "green" from him would likely scare me. :) :) :)

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

Okay, once you read "The paper is aimed at closing a number of loopholes whereby mainly rich taxpayers use private companies (Canadian-controlled private corporations, or CCPCs) to reduce their taxes, compared with most Canadians whose incomes come through paycheques or self-employment.", you know it's a crock of shit.

Farmers and most doctors and dentists and lawyers aren't 'rich'. The guy who owns a Subway franchise isn't 'rich'.

That article is BS from start to finish.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Corporate subsidies.

Okay, once you read "The paper is aimed at closing a number of loopholes whereby mainly rich taxpayers use private companies (Canadian-controlled private corporations, or CCPCs) to reduce their taxes, compared with most Canadians whose incomes come through paycheques or self-employment.", you know it's a crock of shit.

Farmers and most doctors and dentists and lawyers aren't 'rich'. The guy who owns a Subway franchise isn't 'rich'.

That article is BS from start to finish.
Flosshole has no idea "small businesses" are equally evil Corporations in every sense of the word as Exxon Mobil or Monsanto.