Sidewalk Clearing Bylaws (Regina in this case…)

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
It is only an issue when it happens. Victoria is probably the worst(best?) example. The year they had to have the army dig them out, their snow removal budget was something like $50 000. Because it doesn't snow. There also is not more than 3 sets of snow tires in the entire Victoria area. Same reason.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Hard to blame 'em. They don't pay the city workers enough to give a damn about your problems. They got snow to clear.

And no amount of money would make the city "leaders" give a damn about your problems.
You don't need money, you just need to know how to deal with the fuckers. Like Al in the OP could threaten to sue the city under the People with Disabilities Act.

I had a similar issue where I used to live. There was ONE parking spot out front of my house with 'No Parking' signs at the end of both sides of the spot. Well there would routinely be a second car parking there and would end up blocking my driveway. Calling the parking by-law office did nothing. This went of for months and then I learned the City had given a licence to the church beside me to operate a daycare. This made an untenable situation fucking impossible. A little later I heard through the grapevine that all the calls I made about people blocking my driveway were treated like a joke.
Well, I went out and bought a digital camera and from about 2 weeks before Halloween until the new year, I took pics of the cars and their plates that were blocking my driveway in whole or in part. There were over 400 separate violations. I then e-mailed every one of those pics to every single e-mail address at City Hall. It ended up crashing their system. :LOL: But that's also when they took notice and started taking things seriously. I had the City's Engineer, the Deputy Mayor, my ward councilor and the head of parking enforcement at my house for a meeting, their idea.
Ultimately I ended up being given the authority to write tickets for that spot only. The head of parking by-law enforcement didn't like that idea because Commissionaires (the people who write parking tickets) tend to be retired police and military personnel. I reminded him that the power I was given applied ONL:Y to that spot and that someone needed to do it because the Commissionaires were clearly NOT up to the fucking task.

On top of that, the driveway for the church next door was right beside mine and I'd watch the stupid cunt who ran the daycare kick her car door open when she was getting out of her car and it would bang into the side of my car in MY driveway. After a few more meetings with the City's CFO and Mayor, I made them put up a fence between my property and the church. Not some shit fence either, the good institutional chain link fencing they use around schools and such. They tried to get me to pay for half the cost but considering the city was 100% responsible for the problem, I didn't see why I should be out of pocket. Ultimately they agreed. And I did it ALL without the aid of a lawyer.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You can call a tow truck and have the vehicle impounded. No city needed. Tow trucks already have the authority to clear a city posted "no parking" spot with or without having the city involved.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
You can call a tow truck and have the vehicle impounded. No city needed. Tow trucks already have the authority to clear a city posted "no parking" spot with or without having the city involved.
Well, this was some years ago and not all cities work that way. Hell, I even tried calling a towing company to get some asshole's car towed OUT OF my driveway and they wouldn't unless the car owner was there.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
We also have a 48 hour time limit to clear our sidewalks. I think it's mostly handled by complaints only. Because of my disability, I am entitled to have a "handicap" sign in front of our house so the city automatically clears the area of snow with little bob cats so we don't have to deal with windrows.
We have someone come to clear our sidewalks after each snowfall. We went the handicap sign route because of the windrows & our inability to deal with them. Someone made the suggestion & hey, it works!!

I wonder if Mr. Bodnarchuk has that option & would the city then make sure it was clear for him?

Because the city doesn't go to any extent of implementing the fines unless someone complains, I don't go walking any more because of the ice/snow pack on some sidewalks in my neighborhood. There is one house at the end of our block & since they moved in they have mown the lawn or shoveled their sidewalk. I could complain but I'd need to take a pen & paper to write down all the addresses because that's what they'll ask for. All they need to do is drive down any residential street to see what sidewalks are cleared and which ones are not.

So, in winter, I use my treadmill; in summer, I walk.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
i have no choice. if i dont i will be lucilled with the neighbors shovels.

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario
I don't live in town, but both the small towns I live near have these small plows that go and plow the sidewalks.

double-trip-sidewalk-plow-2.jpg

Lots of older people in those 2 towns. You would think a larger city like Regina would have the same. I am sure Toronto does.

does toronto plow its sidewalks?

Search Results​

Featured snippet from the web​

95 per cent of all sidewalks in Toronto receive mechanical sidewalk snow clearing. Due to sidewalk obstructions and narrow spaces, the remaining sidewalks are manually cleared by workers.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I don't live in town, but both the small towns I live near have these small plows that go and plow the sidewalks.

View attachment 17417

Lots of older people in those 2 towns. You would think a larger city like Regina would have the same.
Yup. Regina has them.

We have them but not for doing where slave labour can be utilized.

How much equipment do you have? Winter maintenance has a fleet of 15 Graders, 10 sanders, 11 sidewalk tractors, and 5 loaders.
View attachment 17408
https://www.regina.ca › residential-...

Residential Road Snow Plow - City of Regina

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Reactions: petros

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
We also have a 48 hour time limit to clear our sidewalks. I think it's mostly handled by complaints only. Because of my disability, I am entitled to have a "handicap" sign in front of our house so the city automatically clears the area of snow with little bob cats so we don't have to deal with windrows.
We have someone come to clear our sidewalks after each snowfall. We went the handicap sign route because of the windrows & our inability to deal with them. Someone made the suggestion & hey, it works!!

I wonder if Mr. Bodnarchuk has that option & would the city then make sure it was clear for him?

Because the city doesn't go to any extent of implementing the fines unless someone complains, I don't go walking any more because of the ice/snow pack on some sidewalks in my neighborhood. There is one house at the end of our block & since they moved in they have mown the lawn or shoveled their sidewalk. I could complain but I'd need to take a pen & paper to write down all the addresses because that's what they'll ask for. All they need to do is drive down any residential street to see what sidewalks are cleared and which ones are not.

So, in winter, I use my treadmill; in summer, I walk.
There is one house at the end of our block & since they moved in they have mown the lawn or shoveled their sidewalk. This is wrong - it should read ...they have never mown their lawn or shoveled their sidewalk. Sorry about that!