Should the CBC stop being funded by the gov't?

Aetheric

Jul 9, 2020
yes, defund and allow them to function as they exist with commercial revenues/fund-drives, or adapt, or fail

same as ctv, global, newspapers, radio and anyone else who fed at the federal $600 million trough
we are without any honest, untainted main-stream media in canada, everything is the same foundational message/script

same as in the usa:

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Why would we have investigative journalists if the masters will quash any story that harms the bottom line .All the pretty faces and silky speakers and wormy writers all jump to the same tune like a puppet being controlled by a marionette . In our case the marionette is the Liberal Party. There is no longer any in depth reporting on any issue detrimental to left wing causes . Sickening .

Jinentonix

Executive Branch Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Wow, who's doing the fact checking here? I'd really like to see what was said by petros and BOOMer. 'Disputed' doesn't mean 'wrong', it means there's disagreement. And what "official sources" exactly are we talking about, the govt?

bob the dog

Electoral Member
Aug 14, 2020
The self serving CBC bureaucracy and pay scale like all government departments is what does them in. I don't mind CBC radio but as far as original programing for tv for the most part is beyond their mandate imo. Can't see them surviving as a private company unless it is beautifully setup like NavCanada with no debt and so forth.

They could try going public and get pounded into reform but that has not been the historical Liberal way

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I'm of the opinion that CBC needs to have a different funding model than it currently has.

Anyone else agree or have ideas how?

I do think it's important to have CANCON but I think legal broadcasting laws would take care of that.

Thoughts?
They need to be removed from the public tit and left to raise funding on their own.