Should Shawn Thornton face more than a suspension?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Vancouver is a team of whiners though. I remember all kinds of people crying because
during their series with Boston the refs put the whistle in their pocket and let the teams
play. My son and my grandsons all whined the Boston was too rough. If that is the case
get rid of the Sedin Sisters and a few others and get some Canadian boys who can hit
and fight.
I think the refs etc likely do pick on Vancouver cause no matter what sport it is they whine
or have excuses for every sport the lose and they lose a lot. should I say it ya why not
(GO RIDERS) Oh that's football, but then the lions lost that sport too.

I'm not convinced that fighting should be a part of hockey!

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I am not whining at all, we have a bunch of do gooder who want to change the game
of hockey itself. Af for the Canucks they are the team outside of BC that everyone
does not like. They are a team that is over rated and why, because they don't have
the horses to back up their hype. How many Stanley Cups have they won?
Chicago, Boston Pittsburgh and a host of others are willing to put out the money for
good players not the Canucks they do really stupid things like hire Luongo the siv
for ten years and they can't get rid of him while his contract bleeds them dry.
Montreal the team I have always cheered for frustrates me they don't bring on big
guys Canadians that can stand up to the punishment. They don't whine they just lose
Its frustrating Canadian teams could be so much better. Management is the biggest
problem.
Actually the only breath of fresh air is Winnipeg at least they're trying.
Vancouver with the coach they have now is worse off in my view and Montreal will go
out in the second round of the playoffs again, the difference is they won't blame the
mean tough Bruins. Both teams need to hire some serious muscle. and get rid of the
Europeans who play teacup hockey

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Seriously? Bertuzzi? That's your best example? That was ten years ago. Get with the program.

Why do you think the length of time means it is not similar?

The point I have made many times is the fact that we have not seen anything like this since Bertuzzi's incident means that this isn't a normal part of hockey.

Why would it be?

I think that was the point.

I am not whining at all, we have a bunch of do gooder who want to change the game
of hockey itself.

What Thornton did was not hockey. It was assault. This is the kind of BS that makes hockey look like a sideshow rather than a legitimate major league sport.

We can still hit and fight and do all that other physical stuff while maintaining zero tolerance for straight up assault like this.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
of hockey itself. Af for the Canucks they are the team outside of BC that everyone
does not like. They are a team that is over rated and why, because they don't have
the horses to back up their hype. How many Stanley Cups have they won?
Chicago, Boston Pittsburgh and a host of others are willing to put out the money for
good players not the Canucks they do really stupid things like hire Luongo the siv
for ten years and they can't get rid of him while his contract bleeds them dry.
Montreal the team I have always cheered for frustrates me they don't bring on big
guys Canadians that can stand up to the punishment. They don't whine they just lose
Its frustrating Canadian teams could be so much better. Management is the biggest
problem.
Actually the only breath of fresh air is Winnipeg at least they're trying.
Vancouver with the coach they have now is worse off in my view and Montreal will go
out in the second round of the playoffs again, the difference is they won't blame the
mean tough Bruins. Both teams need to hire some serious muscle. and get rid of the
Europeans who play teacup hockey

You read the papers too much, where they create these mythologies around teams that are abou as accurate as horoscopes.Teams change over time. The players change, the type of game they play changes, teams change.

I think the game would be poorer if--as you advocate--we got rid of the Europeans. It's that kind of inbreeding that would destroy our competitiveness internationally, like it destoryed Britain's soccer competitiveness. There's been some great European players. Too bad, you are missing out. Petr Forsberg was one of my all time favorites. Not really great at teacup hockey, but it seems that you are a victim of stereotypes, so you probably didn't notice. Always enjoyed Federov too. And in Vancouver, Pavel Bure and Markus Naslund we're exciting.

There's no difference between Canadian teams and American teams. The reason that Canadian teams don't dominate is because it is a fluid market, and because there are so many teams now. Maybe 20% of the league is Canadian teams.

As for hockey, they've got their problems to sort out. I myself don't support the direction they are going. I'm involved at the younger level. Parents are pulling their kids out of rep hockey because they don't want their kids on their third concussion by the time they are 18. And you used to be able to play in the NHL if you were a regular sized guy, but for teh last few years, if you aren't at least 6' and 190 lbs, then don't bother applying. Danger of turning it into a mutant sport like basketball.

Why do you think the length of time means it is not similar?

No, it just odd that you would go back ten years, when there are plenty of more recent examples. Why the Bertuzzi incident?

We can still hit and fight and do all that other physical stuff while maintaining zero tolerance for straight up assault like this.

Really? I don't thik that's true.. Hockey has a concussion problem. And it doesn't have much to do with fighting. But, hey, keep living in your dream world.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
My take, as someone who played the game.

A) Neal deserves his 5 games for kneeing Marchant. It was cheap and wrong.

B) Orpik's hit on Eriksson wasn't a bad hit: he tried to play the puck and missed. Its absolute crap that Orpik should have to defend himself after it. At worst it was 2 min for interference.

C) Thornton on Orpik was cheap and wrong too. He deserves at least 10 games for it. Pulling someone over backwards and punching them, with a glove, when they're down is almost Todd Bertuzzi level. I have a certain amount of sympathy for seeing your teammate down and wanting payback, but that is not the way to do it.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
No, it just odd that you would go back ten years, when there are plenty of more recent examples. Why the Bertuzzi incident?

My point is that there are not many other examples of an attack of that nature. If there are, please give me some examples.

Really? I don't thik that's true.. Hockey has a concussion problem. And it doesn't have much to do with fighting. But, hey, keep living in your dream world.

Sometimes I really wonder where the hell you guys are coming from with these comments. The quote is only one sentence long and my support of fighting is mentioned six words into that sentence.

This incident has nothing to do with fighting. This was not a fight.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Because the Bertuzzi incident is familiar to virtually everyone who follows N.H.L. hockey and is still vivid in people's minds. The fact it was 10 years ago does NOT mitigate the thuggery!

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
While fighting is OK the problem here is that the victim was on the ground and I'm not sure he had a chance to defend himself. On that basis it doesn't appear to be a fair fight. Well, whatever - the league will sort things out.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
While fighting is OK the problem here is that the victim was on the ground and I'm not sure he had a chance to defend himself. On that basis it doesn't appear to be a fair fight. Well, whatever - the league will sort things out.

Yeah, from what I could make out Thornton was being a bit of a thug.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013

It is very clear from the video that he had no chance to defend himself.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I thought the cheapshot knee to the head was far worse than a scuffle that turned bad.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
They should have called for a stretcher... then it would be considered.

It was dirty for sure, but because of the way Marchand plays, whenever you see him laying on the ground like that after a play the last thing you assume is that he is actually hurt.

As for what is worse though, split second decisions in the course of game play are different than deliberate attempts to injure people well after play has stopped.

In the end though, they are certainly taking this seriously. For a play that did not result in any injury and player who technically doesn't have a history, 5 games is a heavy suspension.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
It was dirty for sure, but because of the way Marchand plays, whenever you see him laying on the ground like that after a play the last thing you assume is that he is actually hurt.

As for what is worse though, split second decisions in the course of game play are different than deliberate attempts to injure people well after play has stopped.

In the end though, they are certainly taking this seriously. For a play that did not result in any injury and player who technically doesn't have a history, 5 games is a heavy suspension.

So... you are not a Bruins fan or you are a Penguin fan.

So that knee to the head was a split second decision not intending harm?

Keep digging that hole Ruff.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
So... you are not a Bruins fan or you are a Penguin fan.

So that knee to the head was a split second decision not intending harm?

Keep digging that hole Ruff.

Neither, I just don't like Marchand because he is a dirty player.

Lets take a step back and remember that nobody is arguing that what Neal did wasn't incredibly dirty. Nobody is arguing that he shouldn't have received his five games for what he did. We are simply comparing it to another incident where a guy skated across the ice after play had stopped to sucker punch him from behind and slam his head into the ice.

There is a difference between things that happen quickly within the normal course of play and stuff like what Thornton did which is so far outside of any normal part of the game.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
My point is that there are not many other examples of an attack of that nature. If there are, please give me some examples.

You tell yourself whatever you need to. Let's just say, based on your earlier coments, there's a rather strong confirmation bias at play here.