Should Shawn Thornton face more than a suspension?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The game is about winning. It's also about evening things up when your teammates
are attacked. No its not about killing someone and he didn't kill someone he did
end his career though.
Some of these players and Lindros was one of them his own team didn't stand
behind him in the end. I am not for cheap shots without something causing them.
But when someone does something to a teammate and your the policeman on the
team you take the guy out and that is the way its always been.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Pummeling his head against the ice? Did you watch it?

The knee to the head by Neil was worse IMO.

Nobody is defending what Neal did, but how on earth does that make it ok for Thornton to go do this to Orpik?

Orpik's head hitting the ice is all there in brilliant show motion.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Nobody is defending what Neal did, but how on earth does that make it ok for Thornton to go do this to Orpik?

Orpik's head hitting the ice is all there in brilliant show motion.

His head hitting the ice... but not Thorton pummeling his head in the ice. You're embellishing it.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
The game is about winning. It's also about evening things up when your teammates
are attacked. No its not about killing someone and he didn't kill someone he did
end his career though.
Some of these players and Lindros was one of them his own team didn't stand
behind him in the end. I am not for cheap shots without something causing them.
But when someone does something to a teammate and your the policeman on the
team you take the guy out and that is the way its always been.

The end result isn't the only way to judge these things. Ending someone's career in such a stupid way is bad enough, but Moore could easily have been hurt way more.

Especially when you compare it to the hit on Naslund, which honestly, if you are going to reach for the puck on your knees in open ice, what happened to him is in fact part of the game.

His head hitting the ice... but not Thorton pummeling his head in the ice. You're embellishing it.

Lol, what exactly is your definition of that? He drives his head into the ice with his fist.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Then why the problem with hockey? You know damn well you'll get an a$s kicking for a dirty shot so yeah it is willing and consensual.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Then why the problem with hockey? You know damn well you'll get an a$s kicking for a dirty shot so yeah it is willing and consensual.

Attacks like this are not an accepted part of the game.

In the UFC, if you were to attack someone like that, you would be banned for life from the promotion. It has happened before.

kerri as for the video of the bench clearing brawl I've seen lots of those
Years ago I saw one start at the beginning of a game in a series final
made it a long night for the refs but it was really entertaining

I really don't support fighting or any kind, much less this kind of stuff, in junior hockey. They are just kids. Adults paying to watch kids beat the **** out of each other has way too much of a real life Hunger Games feel to it.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Pfffffb. You've played hockey have you? How many years?

Lol, my whole life. Have you ever played? Have you even watched the game? How often does stuff like this happen?

Todd Bertuzzi's incident was almost 10 years ago now.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I don't know I've seen a lot of attacks and eagle is right you are overdoing here
a bit yes he thumped him a couple of time not an extreme case at all.
The problem is we have the knitting society wanting to dictate the rules of hockey
best they stick to their knitting. couldn't resist that.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Lol, my whole life. Have you ever played? Have you even watched the game? How often does stuff like this happen?

Todd Bertuzzi's incident was almost 10 years ago now.
I sure do. I learned to fight on skates when I was 10. They don't call Saskatchewan a "hockey factory" for nothing. It's a rite of passage.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
In the UFC, if you were to attack someone like that, you would be banned for life from the promotion. It has happened before.

Punching an opponent on the mat will get you banned in the UFC?

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Punching an opponent on the mat will get you banned in the UFC?

No, attacking a defenseless opponent outside of the normal course of a fight. Several people have been kicked out for throwing punches after the bell or refusing to stop when the ref ends the fight.

Do you notice how the person getting hit in that picture is defending himself?

I don't know I've seen a lot of attacks and eagle is right you are overdoing here
a bit yes he thumped him a couple of time not an extreme case at all.
The problem is we have the knitting society wanting to dictate the rules of hockey
best they stick to their knitting. couldn't resist that.

Extra? What part of that was ever a legitimate fight?

Can you give me an example of a similar attack that has occurred between now and the Bertuzzi incident?

Last edited:

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
I sure do. I learned to fight on skates when I was 10. They don't call Saskatchewan a "hockey factory" for nothing. It's a rite of passage.

Lol, how old are you? They sure as hell don't teach 10 year olds to fight these days.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
No, attacking a defenseless opponent outside of the normal course of a fight. Several people have been kicked out for throwing punches after the bell or refusing to stop when the ref ends the fight.

Which is a different story than what you were first saying.

Do you notice how the person getting hit in that picture is defending himself?

There were some other pics I could have put in but they were nasty.

But you were embellishing the Thorton incident. If Orpik doesn't get knocked out, Thorton gets a Roughing penalty.

45 and I played on real teams not parks and rec.

The Pond!