Sex selection abortions

Are you for Gender or sex selective abortion?

• Total voters

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Some day we could read a headline like; Impoverished, uneducated, unfit for motherhood impregnated by rape 13 year old says "she'll keep baby but only if a boy" and knock this ball out of the park.

That would indeed.

However I do believe we are learning a lot in this thread.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Not enough possible replies for me to answer the poll. I'm generally against abortions, though. I'd much rather prefer gender selection through DNA manipulation.
There lies the puzzle in trying to formulate a proper poll, since there is probably as many degrees of acceptance or objections for abortions based reason for said abortion on down to how advanced the pregnancy is and seeing as a poll is limited to ten options and even at that many, I'm sure I would have missed something......
So I figured I would keep it simple:smile:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
There already balanced rights in reproduction. This goes beyond and quantifies decisions based on thought. The thought police won't win this round of attempted social engineering. But this is good for moderates, the right just cant stop itself from meddling in reproduction and pushing potential voters away. One would think that the recent election was a lesson learned. I guess not.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

But you will decide... or feel you have the moral right to decide the reasons by which a woman shall get an abortion?

I am sure you are ok with an abortion of convenience... meaning a woman simply does not want a child at that point in her life. Am I right or wrong?

There already balanced rights in reproduction. This goes beyond and quantifies decisions based on thought. The thought police won't win this round of attempted social engineering. But this is good for moderates, the right just cant stop itself from meddling in reproduction and pushing potential voters away. One would think that the recent election was a lesson learned. I guess not.

The right is meddling? This thread seems to have a lot of lefties meddling in womens reproductive rights.

And the right meddling is just another scare tactic of the left. We've had Republican Presidents with the Republicans in full control of the Congress as well as a Conservative leaning Supreme Court. Abortion is still legal. Once again the left knows it's base is to stupid to realize that.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
There lies the puzzle in trying to formulate a proper poll, since there is probably as many degrees of acceptance or objections for abortions based reason for said abortion on down to how advanced the pregnancy is and seeing as a poll is limited to ten options and even at that many, I'm sure I would have missed something......
So I figured I would keep it simple:smile:

Normally it is easy. Follow these two simple steps:

1. Do not use adjectives (like sex selective). This will mostly avoid framing the issue in emotive terms.
  2. Ask a yes or no question and have the options be a) Yes. b) No. c) Undecided.

Women get to choose when they menstruate. Whether it occurs naturally, chemically, or mechanically is nobody's business. The motivation is even less of any one else's business. Sometimes people have bad motivations, but trying to stop those people from doing an action which would be ok otherwise causes much more harm than good.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
  1. Do not use adjectives (like sex selective). This will mostly avoid framing the issue in emotive terms.

In other words... sweep it under the rug. Turn a blind eye.

Aborting a child based on sex is OK providing nobody says anything.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
In other words... sweep it under the rug. Turn a blind eye.

Aborting a child based on sex is OK providing nobody says anything.

Not at all. There are plenty of things in life which are not OK but the government should not prohibit because of the harm they would do to innocent people. I think most American citizens are proud of giving people the right to go around saying how terrible the Jews are and that the holocaust never happend while the Germans have flat out forbidden it. Promoting anti-semitism: not OK, but not something the government should be prohibiting.

Welcome to the world of color, please leave your world of gray tones behind.

In a world less knee jerk about teenage pregnancies, children outside of wedlock and sacrificing careers to take care of children everybody would find the support they need in order to avoid an abortion in a first place. That is why access to birth control is the leading indicator of low numbers of abortions. As Gerryh made it clear when he said

keep her fu cking legs crossed!

instead of calmly saying "Keep your member in your pants," it is more about controlling women's sexuality than preventing "deaths" of innocent children. I haven't seen you or gerryh screaming about how in vitro fertilization needs to be stopped, so you don't really have much of an argument.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
But you will decide... or feel you have the moral right to decide the reasons by which a woman shall get an abortion?

I am sure you are ok with an abortion of convenience... meaning a woman simply does not want a child at that point in her life. Am I right or wrong?

The right is meddling? This thread seems to have a lot of lefties meddling in womens reproductive rights.

And the right meddling is just another scare tactic of the left. We've had Republican Presidents with the Republicans in full control of the Congress as well as a Conservative leaning Supreme Court. Abortion is still legal. Once again the left knows it's base is to stupid to realize that.
What if I want to have because if gender but tell you something else. It's a farsical joke. This is the compassionate right doing its regular nonsensical meddling.

I suppose this legal waste of time is a real budget savor? How can anyone elect clowns like this?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
What if I want to have because if gender but tell you something else. It's a farsical joke. This is the compassionate right doing its regular nonsensical meddling.

I suppose this legal waste of time is a real budget savor? How can anyone elect clowns like this?

Matthew 7:3:smile:​

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

its quite amazing how you seem to be able to tell me what I think, you only know what'you' think,
meaning your own ideas, I explained what I think, I don't need someone who knows nothing about
my thoughts trying to tell me 'my' thoughts, that is absurd.

can't you grasp the concept. I think a woman has the right to choose for many many reasons, but I
don't believe a woman/couple has the 'right to decide to become pregnant', find out it is the sex they
don't want, then abort it. I made that quite clear, in that particular circumstance, no I don't
think anyone has that right, and in this instance I would suggest it would be a decision made by
a couple that they don't want a certain gender, OR it might be a decision made by a man, forcing a
woman to abort because 'he' wants a boy and not a girl.
It could be a cultural thing, where they want to abort because they want boys who are going to be
sent to work, and they feel girls don't contribute to that part of their lives.

I do not believe an abortion is right when the decision is made for the above reasons.

Itseems to me that the decision to have an abortion because they don't want a certain
gender, isn't a pregnancy that wasn't 'wanted', but a pregnancy that was wanted,
but contains the wrong gender, according to the parents.

I don't believe there are many women who get abortions only for convenience sake, I think the
vast majority have many different reasons to abortions, and that is their business not mine.

don't believe one gender should be chosen over the other, either have an abortion or don't
for whatever reasons, not that one, it is much different than being against women having the right
to choose, if you can't see that, so be it.

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Normally it is easy. Follow these two simple steps:

2. Ask a yes or no question and have the options be a) Yes. b) No. c) Undecided.

Women get to choose when they menstruate. Whether it occurs naturally, chemically, or mechanically is nobody's business. The motivation is even less of any one else's business. Sometimes people have bad motivations, but trying to stop those people from doing an action which would be ok otherwise causes much more harm than good.

You know, theres the hystrical side that blows things out of proportion, and then theres this ridiculous level of downplay. To try to brush a serious medicalprocedue that holds possible ramifications for a woman, off as nothing more than a period, strikes me as a huge disservice. A pregnancy is much more than a period, and takes a significantly different toll both physically and emotionally on most women, regardless of how they choose to handle it.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Not at all. There are plenty of things in life which are not OK but the government should not prohibit because of the harm they would do to innocent people.

Ok... just wanted to make sure I got that right. A woman has a right to check the sex then abort a girl or boy. But we all mostly know they are girls being aborted when it comes down to it.

I think most American citizens are proud of giving people the right to go around saying how terrible the Jews are and that the holocaust never happend while the Germans have flat out forbidden it. Promoting anti-semitism: not OK, but not something the government should be prohibiting.

Whoa whoa. You realize we are on a a Canadian Forum and there ARE PLENTY of Canadians ripping the Joooos because they are JOooos. Check out all the threads on this topic.

Once again... turning a blind eye to things eh?

Again... deflect it to the right and ignore the left saying NO GENDER SELECTED ABORTIONS

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I don't care what anyone says here, the discussion us fantasyland for some. Spending money to debate nonsense is dumb no matter what side one is on. But don't ever kid yourself, all the social engineering crusades come from the right. Usually old white men who dream up ways to push their agenda.

Eagel, why would anyone say its for gender if such dumb legislation ever came to be? Explain the logic.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Wrong

its quite amazing how you seem to be able to tell me what I think, you only know what'you' think,
meaning your own ideas, I explained what I think, I don't need someone who knows nothing about
my thoughts trying to tell me 'my' thoughts, that is absurd.

I was just asking and you answered. Don't be trying to flip it. You do not believe women should be able to get abortions if they base it on the sex of the child.

Thats ok by you.

can't you grasp the concept. I think a woman has the right to choose for many many reasons, but I
don't believe a woman/couple has the 'right to decide to become pregnant', find out it is the sex they
don't want, then abort it. I made that quite clear, in that particular circumstance, no I don't
think anyone has that right, and in this instance I would suggest it would be a decision made by
a couple that they don't want a certain gender, OR it might be a decision made by a man, forcing a
woman to abort because 'he' wants a boy and not a girl.
It could be a cultural thing, where they want to abort because they want boys who are going to be
sent to work, and they feel girls don't contribute to that part of their lives

I do not believe an abortion is right when the decision is made for the above reasons.

And you are peddling YOUR morality on others. It's not the right... it is you, one of the pro-choice crowd.

Multiculturism is wonderful and should be respected. Abortion is legal. But when East Asians or whoever start aborting children in Canada because they know they're having a girl... now being multicultural and pro-choice isn't so great.

So I say... Hands off their bodies and keep your hands out of their wombs. That's the rally cry is it not? If they want a baby but not a girl they have every right today to do whatever they want with their bodies.

I don't believe there are many women who get abortions only for convenience sake, I think the
vast majority have many different reasons to abortions, and that is their business not mine.

I know only 2 people that have had them... and it was inconvenient for them. Neither was poor, one was actually from a wealthy family. They just didn't want a kid.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

You would be surprised at how many Canadians are against it- How many Canadians are unaware of late term abortions- over 6 months. And why are they ill informed. Because people on the Left cannot discuss it - It is their way or the highway. If it is mentioned and the person is against part of it they are labelled, pilloried and hung by the neck. No discussion

If someone even tries to discuss something as disgusting as Sex Selective abortions- or aborting a twin due to financial reason -Or abortions past 6 months with no health concerns for the mother - you have these reactions

A substantial number of ill informed Canadians will say it is not done in Canada.

The left will say it is the women's right.

The right goes from never to some form of restrictions such as late term- twin selection - sex selection.