Salty social conservatives are galvanising in Ontario

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Social conservatism just means holding on to something (whether it's good or bad)

And we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Some aspects need to go, like the separate school system and other such ethnic policies.

However, we have become way too liberal in many respects all in the name of not being socially conservative. Our addictive-products laws ought to be far tougher than they are now. Imagine that a person can legally sell sex. Fornication itself should be a fineable offence if there is reason to believe that it involves sexual assault or prostitution in any way given the social ills associated with them and especially given how difficult they are to prove. So yes, I'm a social conservative, but I may not fit in some pre-conceived mould.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
You know you can choose which schoolboard your municipal taxes go to?

Absolutely false. Look it up. How many times do I have to tell you? You only get to choose which one you can vote for. As for the money, it is pooled together for all school boards and divided evenly according to student population.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
When the Litterals was the majority in the Senate, me and my buddy Nelford got one of them government contracts to 'weed n feed' them. The commissionaire that was guardin' the entrance said the government always hired farmers, cause we was used to the smell.

Nelford, he got confused. He'd ask someone if it was the smell of bullschitt was we used to, or 'old person' smell. Old people give off an odour to attract predators. If you hang out at the Legion, you'll know what I mean.

Anyhow, that commissionaire got angry. See, he was a retired fellow on the far side of 64. He was due to get pensioned off. (That was before they changed the law about bein' able to work for as long as you could draw a breath.) He didn't like Nelford's suggestion that he smelled 'off'. Still, if you've ever visited Parliament, you've get a whiff of 'old person' smell. It'll convince you not to go back!

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Absolutely false. Look it up. How many times do I have to tell you? You only get to choose which one you can vote for. As for the money, it is pooled together for all school boards and divided evenly according to student population.

There are a ton of things he belligerently believes that are absolutely false.

You get used to it.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Is that so?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Interestingly, my tax bill gives me the option of one of four boards to support ... and I ain't carrying anything. Maybe they should word the statement in a less confusing way

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It is so.

In areas where both public and separate school divisions exist, the education portion of
property taxes is automatically directed to the public school division unless the taxpayer
indicates the taxes should be paid to the separate division.
For this reason, it is important for Catholic taxpayers to ensure that their tax notice
reflects they are Catholic school supporters. The city, town or rural municipality in which
they live will then direct their school taxes to the Catholic school division.
If you are Catholic, in order to have your taxes support the Catholic school board you
must fill out a tax declaration form and submit it to the office of your municipality. The
forms are available by request at your municipal office.
The question of which school board the taxes support should be based only on the
religious faith of the taxpayer.
Property taxes are an important source of funding for all school boards, which also
receive provincial government grants. This system ensures stable funding for all school boards.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
There problem is that he doesn't like facts.

You just have to learn to enjoy regularly reminding him about why he's wrong.

See: climate change and oil subsidies.

How can you call youself a social conservative and want to pillage our resources? What's conservative about that?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I would put that in that fiscal category, not the social one?

I'd put it in the environmental one myself, but I see them as all related, are they not? The economy impacts the environment and vice versa. Personal choices impact the economy and vice versa, no?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
In areas where both public and separate school divisions exist, the education portion of
property taxes is automatically directed to the public school division unless the taxpayer
indicates the taxes should be paid to the separate division.
For this reason, it is important for Catholic taxpayers to ensure that their tax notice
reflects they are Catholic school supporters. The city, town or rural municipality in which
they live will then direct their school taxes to the Catholic school division.
If you are Catholic, in order to have your taxes support the Catholic school board you
must fill out a tax declaration form and submit it to the office of your municipality. The
forms are available by request at your municipal office.
The question of which school board the taxes support should be based only on the
religious faith of the taxpayer.
Property taxes are an important source of funding for all school boards, which also
receive provincial government grants. This system ensures stable funding for all school boards.
Sask. government claims $100M savings from P3 schools - Saskatchewan - CBC News

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
As it should be. You don't want the funding to be disproportionate to the student populations.