Rex Murphy: Conservatives Are Gutless

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
There is no place for religion in politics. Amazingly Quebec is doing better at that than the rest of the country.
I don’t disagree , but I don’t make the rules . Try getting a nomination without the congregation behind you .

As for abortion ,not one party is willing to broach this subject in parliament despite not having any law concerning same .

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Conservatives need to get their shit in order and become united under one clear philosophy. As far as I'm concerned, they are in a similar position as Democrats in the states. Without that, the party (along with its constituents) will continue to be in some internal turmoil and giving up seats to the other parties.

O’Toole under fire as Tory senator launches petition seeking leadership review

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Conservatives need to get their shit in order and become united under one clear philosophy. As far as I'm concerned, they are in a similar position as Democrats in the states. Without that, the party (along with its constituents) will continue to be in some internal turmoil and giving up seats to the other parties.

O’Toole under fire as Tory senator launches petition seeking leadership review

Yup and you have the pulse of conservative thinkers .

Reactions: taxslave and petros

Vbeacher

Electoral Member
Sep 9, 2013
Ottawa
Why , he tried to do what his voters wanted and was stymied at every turn by bureaucracy, the press and his own party . It was and is a shame . But look at his replacement , I believe he has been playing politics and enriching himself and his family for fifty odd years . Yup says lots for political experience .
Trump didn't try to do a damned thing except work as few hours as possible while making as much money off foreigners as he could rake in. He didn't even worry about his great 'wall' until the Democrats had won in the mid-terms. Every single person who has spoken about his time in the White House - and i'm speaking of the people HE appointed, have said he was lazy, did almost no work, was dumb as a rock and entirely devoted to himself. His White House was chaotic and incompetent and accomplished nothing of note.

Vbeacher

Electoral Member
Sep 9, 2013
Ottawa
No , but we Canadians have no hard and fast laws on abortion , yet all provincial health department fund them . Whatever the end result the issue must be settled in parliament at some point . I will never cast my vote simply because of the abortion issue but burying it solves nothing and serves no one .As for your anti vac comment , it is the oppositions job description to oppose , if our elected representatives do not question the narrative who will .

Nothing you have said so far does anything to convince this conservative that the PC Party represents my values .
I'm okay with having a law on abortion just to get it off the table. One like Sweden or France ought to be doable. Anything deeply restrictive is a non-starter in this country and will NEVER happen.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Trump didn't try to do a damned thing except work as few hours as possible while making as much money off foreigners as he could rake in. He didn't even worry about his great 'wall' until the Democrats had won in the mid-terms. Every single person who has spoken about his time in the White House - and i'm speaking of the people HE appointed, have said he was lazy, did almost no work, was dumb as a rock and entirely devoted to himself. His White House was chaotic and incompetent and accomplished nothing of note.
Yet the American economy was roaring . And just for the record the only accusations I have not heard about Trump was he was lazy in fact almost all said the exact opposite. Regardless Trump or not what have experienced politicians done for us ? Name one stellar accomplishment?

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Yet the American economy was roaring . And just for the record the only accusations I have not heard about Trump was he was lazy in fact almost all said the exact opposite. Regardless Trump or not what have experienced politicians done for us ? Name one stellar accomplishment?
I agree. Trump was hard working & everything that I have heard was the same - he put in long hours & didn't need much sleep. He also is able to take an issue, break it down, have people give him information on said issue, ask opinions THEN decided what action to take. He tends to see the big picture. This is what I've heard from people interviewed who have actually worked with him both in the WH and his Business. While you may not like his personality, he does what any good leader will do - he listens to what others say & then acts accordingly.

Apparently, he does this with all the decisions he makes and why he has staff that aren't afraid to disagree with him because he doesn't like "butt kissing". He's very clever & is exactly what the U.S. needs, especially right now. Unfortunately, he lost the election which I believe most Americans regret right now. But it is what it is and we can only hope that the Republicans (minus the Rino's) do well in 2022 & 2024. If they don't, all is definitely lost for both the U.S. and Canada cuz JT will follow suit & we'll all go down the tube!!

• Haha
Reactions: Serryah and petros

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
On the contrary. He IS a lot like Stephen Harper in how tentative and pragmatic he is in abandoning conservative views when he thinks they might get in the way of getting himself elected. Harper had a set of lucky circumstances which allowed him to win, that's all. He was a smart guy and savvy at politics, but very hesitant at challenging the progressive doctrines. As a result, every tiny, tentative change he made was swept away by Trudeau in his first term.

It was the riskier, but long term strategy. Not a bad one, but they really messed up the 2015 election.

I think if they had won that one, you would see a shift toward the hardline positions.