Public Inquiries into Emergencies Act begin September 19

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Interesting that the government could withhold a key piece of information from the "inquiry" into their misdeeds. Almost like turdOWE's WEF masters wrote the report and had the "judge" sign it.
Much of Rouleau’s rationale rests upon the well-established criminal law “reasonable belief” standard — which holds that perfect judgment is not required, but merely that a decision maker in possession of a certain set of facts acts in a way that is considered “reasonable.” There is little to quibble with here as a general principle.

But surprisingly, Rouleau simply shrugs off the government’s refusal to release the key legal opinion it received suggesting it met the legal threshold to invoke the act. Instead, Rouleau points to testimony from several witnesses — including the prime minister, attorney general and Clerk of the Privy Council — accepting that their own interpretation of this unknown advice was sufficient.
This is very interesting all in itself, that he’s able to make a ruling based upon this non-information?
….And even though the government refused to produce the legal advice it was given to justify its actions, here Rouleau shrugged again. “Each of them (witnesses) explained what they believed those thresholds to be.

I do not need to see the legal advice itself in order to accept the evidence that they believed their conclusions to be justified in law,” he said.
Still interesting that he’s able to makes his ruling on information he himself isn’t allowed to see?
Rouleau is correct, however, that it is ultimately up to the courts to determine whether the federal government was legally justified in its actions — a process that’s already underway.
This is suppose to start at least in April of this year.
If there is a silver lining in this report, it’s that, by allowing his brother’s nephew to hold it up as a vindication, it may make Trudeau more likely to take seriously its recommendations on how governments can better work together, to ensure that future protests don’t escalate to a point where the government thinks that using the Emergencies Act is its only option.
I found it highly unlikely that Trudeau happened to have picked an independent judge that was tied to his own family…though it was pointed out to me that the pool would be small factoring out Western Canadian farmers, etc…

Justice Rouleau isn’t “Directly” related to Justin Trudeau though so I was incorrect earlier. Justin’s Fathers Sister is married to Justice Rouleau’s Brother, which takes it a couple steps away from this:
Freedom is fragile and must be protected and that losing freedoms is never more than one generation away.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
The kicker was when Mendocino got Up in Parliment and informed the sitting members that the protesters we’re dangerous and menacing creating an unsafe environment for anyone trying to cross the area . A conservative member asked if these protesters are so dangerous how he can let sitting members walk through them without protection as they walk to work . Crickets .

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The kicker was when Mendocino got Up in Parliment and informed the sitting members that the protesters we’re dangerous and menacing creating an unsafe environment for anyone trying to cross the area . A conservative member asked if these protesters are so dangerous how he can let sitting members walk through them without protection as they walk to work . Crickets .
Well, it really wasn’t about the convoy or the protesters themselves, or about the real or non-real or imagined or potential violence, etc….it was about propaganda allowing Justin/Jagmeet combined to be both Saviours & Strongmen combined with the law enforcement & government’s incompetent response to the convoy….that Justin-ified the commission’s decision.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well, it really wasn’t about the convoy or the protesters themselves, or about the real or non-real or imagined or potential violence, etc….it was about propaganda allowing Justin/Jagmeet combined to be both Saviours & Strongmen combined with the law enforcement & government’s incompetent response to the convoy….that Justin-ified the commission’s decision.
1676841337567.png

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
The Commission (my understanding of it) was to see if the government was right in enforcing the EA. Apparently, Trudeau gave instructions for the Committee to investigate the protesters & not the government which is likely the reason why the report ended like it did. This was all a waste of time.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
The Commission (my understanding of it) was to see if the government was right in enforcing the EA. Apparently, Trudeau gave instructions for the Committee to investigate the protesters & not the government which is likely the reason why the report ended like it did. This was all a waste of time.
Of course . We knew it would be from before it was announced .

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The report in my opinion was a pure dud. It danced around with equivalencies — police forces were unprepared, there was a lack of coordination between agencies, the media was stocked with alarming stories that proved empty or false, Mr. Trudeau was provocative, the truckers were loud … and on and on, it was a tango of “on the one hand, but then on the other hand.”

It concluded with an almost outrageous reflection that reasonable people could come to a different conclusion than the author of the report. In other words the justice was saying, while I have determined the invocation of the gravest legislation on the Canadian statute books was “justified,” others, of decent judgment and intellect, looking at the same facts, reviewing the same material, could quite reasonably conclude it wasn’t.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
How can a police force be "unprepared" for a traffic jam? "Move your truck to a legal spot." "No." "OK, we'll haul it away. If you lay a hand on a cop, city worker, or contractor involved in the hauling, we'll break your head and arrest you."

If they riot, call in the riot squad. If they start burning down the city and/or other cities, THEN, MAYBE you invoke the EA.

Justin either panicked or decided to play hard man. He's not that good an actor.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
It wasn’t total waste of time. It does show the lengths a fascist government will go through to justify the bullying of taxpayers.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
The report in my opinion was a pure dud. It danced around with equivalencies — police forces were unprepared, there was a lack of coordination between agencies, the media was stocked with alarming stories that proved empty or false, Mr. Trudeau was provocative, the truckers were loud … and on and on, it was a tango of “on the one hand, but then on the other hand.”

It concluded with an almost outrageous reflection that reasonable people could come to a different conclusion than the author of the report. In other words the justice was saying, while I have determined the invocation of the gravest legislation on the Canadian statute books was “justified,” others, of decent judgment and intellect, looking at the same facts, reviewing the same material, could quite reasonably conclude it wasn’t.
The judge being paid to view it in that manner, while others might just look at the facts. And demand that the government deliver unredacted documents.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
How can a police force be "unprepared" for a traffic jam? "Move your truck to a legal spot." "No." "OK, we'll haul it away. If you lay a hand on a cop, city worker, or contractor involved in the hauling, we'll break your head and arrest you."

If they riot, call in the riot squad. If they start burning down the city and/or other cities, THEN, MAYBE you invoke the EA.

Justin either panicked or decided to play hard man. He's not that good an actor.
He is trying to follow in his father’s footsteps and what daddy did he can also .

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
I'd often wondered when junior took office, when his first just-watch-me moment would be.

Not sure this was it. It may have happened well before this one.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Dismaying is Justice Rouleau’s acceptance that the CSIS Act definition of threats to national security had been met because the government believed it had been met.

CSIS determined otherwise, undertaking threat assessments and communicating its views to the Prime Minister, the Privy Council Office and a cabinet committee. Yet high-ranking public officials testified that the threshold had been met because the definition of threats to national security is allegedly broader under the Emergencies Act than under the CSIS Act.

Justice Rouleau rightly concludes that this view is legally incorrect, but then states that the CSIS evaluation could not be determinative. “Different decision makers,” Justice Rouleau writes, “... can come to different conclusions.”

Reactions: Twin_Moose