Pot Roast to die for

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
This was our Sunday dinner.

It started with a 6 and a half pound boneless blade roast. I browned the roast on all sides, including the ends in hot fat in a deep skillet. I then nestled the roast in a deep roasting pan with a lid that would just barely hold the roast. Where I could find space I pushed in a few carrots and a whole medium onion that has been quartered.. I then added about a cup and a half of beef stock and a half cup of red wine. (I don't use cooking wine) The liquid should just about cover the roast. Now would be a good time to throw in three or four whole cloves of garlic and a couple bay leaves. Put the lid on and put the roast in a 275 degree oven for about four hours.This gives you lots of time to get ready to roast some tiny new potatoes, sizzle up some snow peas, and put together the Yorkshire pudding.
When the roasting time is up, remove roast to warm platter using a couple forks, Discard the bay leaves, onions, garlic, and the carrots. Skim as much of the fat off the broth as you can. Turn heat up under broth and reduce by half. By this time your Yorkshire pudding should be in the oven. I thicken the gravy with a rue(butter and flour) Pour a few spoons of gravy over the roast and put the rest in a gravy boat. If you have time saute a dozen or so nice mushrooms to put around the roast.....They will look great with the potatoes..
One of my favourite meals and there will be sandwiches most of the week.

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
hmm... looks like I might have just found the recipe I need for the crockpot this afternoon.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Should work great in the crock pot. Crock pots are generally a little gentler on roasts with their lower temperatures. Good Luck....:smile:

Gemini911

Electoral Member
May 29, 2007
Toronto
I always use my crock pot when I cook beef roast. Love the way it comes out so tender, melt in your mouth almost. This is a great recipe, I think it would taste wonderful! Thanks Juan for sharing.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
That sounds so awesome, #juan. I will have to try that. Also, thumbs up for crockpots, best thing since sliced bread.

I probably would have used the crock pot but I was a bit short of time. I would have let that roast cook in the crock pot for eight or nine hours. I had just over four hours to cook dinner. It turned out great...:smile:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Sounds deeelish! I'll have to start copying these down and publish a cookbook or something. The Yorkies rock!

And crock pots do infact rule. Slow cooking is such a wonderful way to make comfort food. Plus it's something you can just turn on and forget about for hours.

Something I would love to try sometime is pit cooking. Like a pig or even just some chicken and larger cuts of seasoned pork and beef. Anyone ever done that?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I hate reading these threads when I am leaving work in 10 minutes and I do not have a pot roast cooking at home :(

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Just as an aside here; If you have a meat slicer you can shave this roast into your favourite rolls, paninis, or hoagie buns for really superior beef dip sandwiches. Use the gravy for the dip.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Juan has provided a positively powerful and therefore dangerously deliscious short story of culinary majesty of basic honest mouthwatering delight. The pot roast that made me cry! And whine! And lust!:lol:

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
This was our Sunday dinner.

It started with a 6 and a half pound boneless blade roast. I browned the roast on all sides, including the ends in hot fat a deep skillet. I then nestled the roast in a deep roasting pan with a lid that would just barely hold the roast. Where I could find space I pushed in a few carrots and a whole medium onion that has been quartered.. I then added about a cup and a half of beef stock and a half cup of red wine. (I don't use cooking wine) The liquid should just about cover the roast. Now would be a good time to throw in three or four whole cloves of garlic and a couple bay leaves. Put the lid on and put the roast in a 275 degree oven for about four hours.This gives you lots of time to get ready to roast some tiny new potatoes, sizzle up some snow peas, and put together the Yorkshire pudding.
When the roasting time is up, remove roast to warm platter using a couple forks, Discard the bay leaves, onions, garlic, and the carrots. Skim as much of the fat off the broth as you can. Turn heat up under broth and reduce by half. By this time your Yorkshire pudding should be in the oven. I thicken the gravy with a rue(butter and flour) Pour a few spoons of gravy over the roast and put the rest in a gravy boat. If you have time saute a dozen or so nice mushrooms to put around the roast.....They will look great with the potatoes..
One of my favourite meals and there will be sandwiches most of the week.

Try white wine, it is better for the roast and veggies taste more real.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Juan has provided a positively powerful and therefore dangerously deliscious short story of culinary majesty of basic honest mouthwatering delight. The pot roast that made me cry! And whine! And lust!:lol:

Why thank you Db. I cry as well, because it is all gone.........:smile:.........Oh well, we'll do another next week.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Lazy Pot Roast

Get a roast

Put it in a pot

Add about 1.5 " water

Cover with an "envelope" of onion soup. We like lipton.

Add lid

Put on burner, and bring to boil

Turn down so it just "blurps"..........relatively slowly

Leave for a few hours. I mean leave the thing cookin eh. Not go shoot some pool. Unless ya want to eh.

Do the remove, and use the liquid for gravy thing. We use flour or cornstarch to thicken.

Lay the gravy to the sliced roast and mashed taters, etc.

Eat.

NUM.

I learned this here when me wife had her first knee op and yers trooly got elected chief cook for a bit. Since graduated to stews with dumplings, roast fowls, chili, bakin muffins, tarts, and such. Kinda knew most of it since we both worked and had kids too, so we both had to cook. Kids learn quick..................:lol::lol:

Yers sounds better, Juan. Likely tastes better too. :dontknow:(ehhh)

NUG

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Get a roast

Put it in a pot

Add about 1.5 " water

Cover with an "envelope" of onion soup. We like lipton.

Add lid

Put on burner, and bring to boil

Turn down so it just "blurps"..........relatively slowly

Leave for a few hours. I mean leave the thing cookin eh. Not go shoot some pool. Unless ya want to eh.

Do the remove, and use the liquid for gravy thing. We use flour or cornstarch to thicken.

Lay the gravy to the sliced roast and mashed taters, etc.

Eat.

NUM.

I learned this here when me wife had her first knee op and yers trooly got elected chief cook for a bit. Since graduated to stews with dumplings, roast fowls, chili, bakin muffins, tarts, and such. Kinda knew most of it since we both worked and had kids too, so we both had to cook. Kids learn quick..................:lol::lol:

Yers sounds better, Juan. Likely tastes better too. :dontknow:(ehhh)

NUG

Don't know about that Nug. It is pretty hard to screw up a pot roast but I've managed a couple times. I got trapped in this cooking thing by accident. My wife and I were both working and I got home first so I started dinner. I later ran a consulting business out of my home so it continued. It was all part of a communist plot. I didn't even like cooking. I used to be able to burn water.....:roll::smile:

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Wow a roast of beef!

My Sunday dinners are (and yes I pull out all the stops..:) Two weiners and a can of brown beans. It's appropriate it seems for some Canadians to live on $300 a month while others eat roast.....

Enjoy

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Weiners are bad for you Mickey, I get my beans at dollarama, 16oz tins I love beans, I eat them six months of the year about four times a week, you know if you crush-up crackers in them it's easy to pretend that it's a casserole, I add lots of molassas and pepper. I know how to live, the cheap macaronie (carriage trade) is better tasteing than real Kraft dinner, just a culinary tip for you if you're lookin to streatch the buck to the max.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Wow a roast of beef!

My Sunday dinners are (and yes I pull out all the stops..:) Two weiners and a can of brown beans. It's appropriate it seems for some Canadians to live on $300 a month while others eat roast.....

Enjoy

Sorry Mikey:
Not meant to demean anyone. (Seems I'm apologizin to ya a lot).
A pot roast, although a roast, is usually the cheapest cut of roast. Inside round, blade, etc. That's why it's cooked in water vs. oven.
Also stew; from cuts of round steak, virtually inedible on the bbq.
All these started as po folks meals. I know, cause mom used to makem all, and we ate them till they were GONE.........roast.........stew.........soup.......no leftovers.
Now, hot dogs.............For the price of a pkg of hot dogs one can buy a round steak and cut it up and make a stew; and make it last for quite a few days..............

Correct me if I'm wrong Mike, but you seem to be taking umbrage on the wrong folks here. If in fact you have to live on 300/mo. no one here thinks that's right. (hope) I've made that plain in the past, as have quite a few others. If I personally can do anything to assist you, including sending along some cash, PM me and give me your address.

In the meantime, sorry for any offence caused, and I promise never to speak of food again. No one ever suggested anyone else should eat cake.

Nugg.

Reactions: Outta here

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Wow a roast of beef!

My Sunday dinners are (and yes I pull out all the stops..:icon_smile: Two weiners and a can of brown beans. It's appropriate it seems for some Canadians to live on $300 a month while others eat roast.....

Enjoy

Well I don't promise not to speak of food again and neither should Nuggler. Pot roast is hardly the preferred food for the rich. Mikey, if you scaled down the recipe I posted for one person you could buy a suitable roast for around five or six bucks that would feed you dinner for five or six days. While there is nothing nutritionally wrong with wieners and beans, there are other options. This pot roast is one of them.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I love roasts cooked in a crock pot, I usually cook one every couple weeks or so. Put it in in the morning and by the time I get home it's tender meat to die for :)