Pot Roast to die for

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Wow a roast of beef!

My Sunday dinners are (and yes I pull out all the stops..:) Two weiners and a can of brown beans. It's appropriate it seems for some Canadians to live on $300 a month while others eat roast.....

Enjoy

Beans and eggs also rock. But probably you can get a better value for your money. Buying a package of dried beans and rice and a few spices would cost you about the same as a pack of wieners but you could get many more healthy and fulfilling meals out of it.

In season vegetables also make for an inexpensive option to processed food. All you need is a window, dirt and water to grow your own herbs. Fresh herbs change everything.

That some have to live on $300 per month, is just the same as it ever was. At that end of the spectrum, you are guilty long before you walk in the door so you might as well learn how to play that game. No one has to live on that kind of money except for those who play by the rules expecting that some day salvation will come.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
... there are other options. This pot roast is one of them.

pork shoulder is another awesome option, and healthier than weiners. Not to mention great for making homemade baked beans, which are way cheaper than canned, and tastier too.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
pork shoulder is another awesome option, and healthier than weiners. Not to mention great for making homemade baked beans, which are way cheaper than canned, and tastier too.
Good idea. Often the stores will have smoked ham shanks on sale at a reasonable price and they are also great in a bean pot.
Right now I have a couple ham shanks simmering on the stove in a big pot of water with split peas, chopped onion and a chopped carrot to make split pea soup. Great comfort food and it freezes well.

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
This was our Sunday dinner.

It started with a 6 and a half pound boneless blade roast. I browned the roast on all sides, including the ends in hot fat a deep skillet. I then nestled the roast in a deep roasting pan with a lid that would just barely hold the roast. Where I could find space I pushed in a few carrots and a whole medium onion that has been quartered.. I then added about a cup and a half of beef stock and a half cup of red wine. (I don't use cooking wine) The liquid should just about cover the roast. Now would be a good time to throw in three or four whole cloves of garlic and a couple bay leaves. Put the lid on and put the roast in a 275 degree oven for about four hours.This gives you lots of time to get ready to roast some tiny new potatoes, sizzle up some snow peas, and put together the Yorkshire pudding.

What is this? I have heard of it, but I have never tried it. No one in Texas makes this. Now this might be something for which I'd like the recipe. I make a Cajun gravy in the blender and pour it over the roast in the crock pot. No wine. Still excellent, but so
EXPENSIVE. I can't afford it very often. How much did that 6 lb. roast cost?

Uncle

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
Well, shoot, I meant to tell you what our Sunday dinner was. Normally I don't cook on Sunday, but we are trying to establish a new family tradition where we get together for
a meal on Sunday evening and then have a movie.

We had: baked ham, au gratin potatoes from scratch, pinto beans, Waldorf salad, French sourdough rolls and Boston Creme Pie.

Uncle

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The only roast they I will allow my wife to buy is a standing rib...anything else I consider a waste of money, and as for steaks....Tenderloin only.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
The only roast they I will allow my wife to buy is a standing rib...anything else I consider a waste of money, and as for steaks....Tenderloin only.

I used to be a big fan of porterhouse, then the fillet Mignon but I have to say that the rib eye steak is a fine cut and has the nicest flavour broiled during the winter months.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

'Will allow ?, well, if it was me, I would arrive home with dog food.;-)

I love barbecued steak, new york, rib, and, if you know how to cook well, one can
make almost any peice of meat taste great.
A cheap boneless chuck steak will taste absolutely great barbecued, when prepared
properly.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Nuggler

No offense taken my friend.:)

I'm living the legacy of the Mike Harris government's regard for the disabled, and no I don't honestly believe that anyone on this site think the situation is either fair or appropriate. It's been like this for me and many others for 12 years and the McGuinty government of Ontario felt it approprate to give MPPs a 25% raise while the disabled recieved 2%. A 2% raise covers a haircut for me but doesn't radically change the quality of life I can lead.

I'm sorry if anyone felt I was dumping on the gang here at CC... That wasn't my intent. Despite those who feel that waging wars in the name of democracy and "freedom" is a good and appropriate thing for Canada to be doing...there are a great many Canadians who live at and below the same level as I. Is there any reasonable expectation that Canada will take care of its citizens before it decides to play brother-war-monger with America?

Probably not, and in the interim, hundreds of thousands of Canadians will be forced to make a choice between eating and living in-doors, between living in darkness because they can't afford electricity and staying fixed in one spot because they can't afford the bus. We've made choices and even if the concensus is that families and the disabled, aboriginals and the elderly are second class citizens, it's tough to understand that Lebannese and Afghanis and so many others who've contributed nothing to this country get a so-much-larger slice of a limited pie.

Sorry...grousing a bit...

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
GerryH

If but for the actions of Curiosity I would have lost my phone and my dial-up access months ago. My access costs $15.00 a month and is the one luxury I can afford. Sorry that upsets you.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Nuggler

No offense taken my friend.:)

I'm living the legacy of the Mike Harris government's regard for the disabled, and no I don't honestly believe that anyone on this site think the situation is either fair or appropriate. It's been like this for me and many others for 12 years and the McGuinty government of Ontario felt it approprate to give MPPs a 25% raise while the disabled recieved 2%. A 2% raise covers a haircut for me but doesn't radically change the quality of life I can lead.

I'm sorry if anyone felt I was dumping on the gang here at CC... That wasn't my intent. Despite those who feel that waging wars in the name of democracy and "freedom" is a good and appropriate thing for Canada to be doing...there are a great many Canadians who live at and below the same level as I. Is there any reasonable expectation that Canada will take care of its citizens before it decides to play brother-war-monger with America?

Probably not, and in the interim, hundreds of thousands of Canadians will be forced to make a choice between eating and living in-doors, between living in darkness because they can't afford electricity and staying fixed in one spot because they can't afford the bus. We've made choices and even if the concensus is that families and the disabled, aboriginals and the elderly are second class citizens, it's tough to understand that Lebannese and Afghanis and so many others who've contributed nothing to this country get a so-much-larger slice of a limited pie.

Sorry...grousing a bit...

GerryH

If but for the actions of Curiosity I would have lost my phone and my dial-up access months ago. My access costs $15.00 a month and is the one luxury I can afford. Sorry that upsets you.

:roll:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
GerryH

That gerry eats pretty good don't he, sounds like his missis is really well supervised too. I wonder what else she's allowed or not allowed to do. He's pretty fast at condemning the poor and homeless and the unemployed. Comparatively, you and I seem to be better christians than he. Both of us would have a far easier time slipping through those pearly gates if they actually existed . That's all just my opinion though, I don't think he is actually christian, certainly dosn't sound like what I've been told a true christian is. but hey maybe the criteria has changed and it's a club for bigotry now.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Beve

It's nice that Gerry can find me guilty of something for wasting $15 a month on my Internet connection, isn't that the way most people feel about the elderly and the disabled? It makes much more sense for me to distribute that $15/month to the people helped by the affluent folk like Roberts and Swaggart and Bakkers...all those good Christians who were dirven around in stretch limos and could afford air-conditioned dog-houses....

Seems kind of petty on Gerry's part but hey...if it's OK with god....

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Beve

It's nice that Gerry can find me guilty of something for wasting $15 a month on my Internet connection, isn't that the way most people feel about the elderly and the disabled? It makes much more sense for me to distribute that $15/month to the people helped by the affluent folk like Roberts and Swaggart and Bakkers...all those good Christians who were dirven around in stretch limos and could afford air-conditioned dog-houses....

Seems kind of petty on Gerry's part but hey...if it's OK with god....

How about looking at what you posted numbnuts. I'm supposed to feel guilty about working my ass off so I can afford to supply my family with more than just the basics? Is Nug, or Juan? Screw you!

That 15 bucks will buy you a fricken pot roast, so it's a matter of priority's. I never did get off on the "poor me" bullshyte.

Most of the above post is more verbal diarrhea, something you are very adept at.