Policing Poverty ( Securing Homelessness )

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
Policing Poverty ( Securing Homelessness )

Anti-police stance alleged at homeless shelter | Ontario | News | Toronto Sun

Cops should be monitoring all Areas .Where needed 1st.

$ 12, 000 yr/per person, to house/feed Homeless/Poor.
$100,000 yr/per person, to Incarcerate them.( Homeless/Poor have no $$$$$ to Pay Fines/Fight Charges ! )

"We'll get called to go down and take care of a problem or stop a fight and they'll ask us not to charge anyone," said the officer. "They expect an emergency response officer to sit around and babysit someone and be their bodyguards rather than lay charges."

- Social Workers in Shelters/Drop In Centers don't want police to press charges because they know the person charged, will be back..

All People deserve the dignity of Food/Shelter/Security..(Especially in countries known as 1st World..)
Even Zombie Slave Drones.

Basic Food/Shelter ..Should be a given right .

Gotta Live ....Survive....Somehow..

Peace.

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It costs a lot more than $12g a year to feed & house homeless and poor. You must add in the cost of all the highly paid and basically parasitic social workers that have created an industry out of this.

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
$1200 is $1000 per month, or $250 per week.

That would be enough for me to disappear into my favorite fishing spots until winter.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
$1200 is $1000 per month, or $250 per week.

That would be enough for me to disappear into my favorite fishing spots until winter.

Way ta go idjit; tell the homeless bout yer fishin spots.................hell, I tell everyone I quit fishin cause there ain't none left, and then you come along and queer it........(just an expression)

Actually a grand a month won't buy you much. You would have to live in the bush and mostly off the land. I uster, then got a GD job............go figure.:confused1:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
But two or more people sharing a place at a grand a month each soon starts to work out. There is no reason why every welfare recipient must have their own place except in the minds of social workers. There are many working poor and students that share a place without government interference.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Actually in a country with Canada's climate providing shelter for those who do not have it may save money in the long run. A single case of frostbite leading to hospitalization can cost several thousand dollars a day. That actually makes it cheaper to provide proper shelter. Now I realize that those who believe that the homeless should be denied any social benefits will not like this, but it does make good economic sense.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Apparently, you've never had to live on it.

Not much less than EI pays but one is expected to support their family on that, including keeping up the mortgage payments.

Without a mortgage or a vehicle we could survive on a grand a month. WHich is not the same as living.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Come up with some ideas?

Sure.. Let's define the problem first... Is the homelessness the result of lack of money? Poor and/or unmarketable skills? Addiction issues? Economic conditions? A combination of the aforementioned?

As much as some folk might like to believe otherwise, homelessness isn't always the result of being out of a job. Hell, I know of a couple of people with full-time jobs and no home.

Their 'ex' had a better divorce lawyer

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Sure.. Let's define the problem first... Is the homelessness the result of lack of money? Poor and/or unmarketable skills? Addiction issues? Economic conditions? A combination of the aforementioned?

Their 'ex' had a better divorce lawyer

Could be a lack of affordable housing, bad economy, good-paying job gone offshore.

Could be the people who look down their noses at them - who never seem to realize they're just a paycheque or two away from it.

Like you seem to know - many causes....

Better divorce lawyer? How about a job in Fort Mac and living in the car?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Could be a lack of affordable housing, bad economy, good-paying job gone offshore.

These are factors that everyone must face and while everyone's individual experience and circumstance is different, the common denominator is that we all must accept responsibility for ourselves at some point.

Could be the people who look down their noses at them - who never seem to realize they're just a paycheque or two away from it.

This happens in every segment of society and affects every possible demographic. Certainly this is not a cause of homelessness.

Like you seem to know - many causes....

Absolutely and my position is that in order to tackle the problem, one must identify the root causes such that they can be remedied.

Better divorce lawyer? How about a job in Fort Mac and living in the car?

Fair enough, but it's no big secret that housing in Ft Mac is near, next impossible to secure.. If this individual willfully made the choice to move there and take a chance that they'd have no place to hang their hat, that's their decision... In no way do I lump those individuals into the same group that are affected by economic, mental health or addiction issues.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
No one in Canada is 'denied' social benefits.

You really have to learn to read instead of only seeing what you want to see. Read my post again; it says nothing about anyone in Canada being denied social benefits.

Come up with some ideas? Improve upon disabled? As much as some folk might like to believe otherwise, homelessness isn't always the result of being out of a job. Hell, I know of a couple of people with full-time jobs and no home.

You really are asking the wrong guy when it comes to new ideas. CM thinks the Inquisition and witch burnings are new ideas. When it comes to knee jerk conservatism he has a permanent nervous tic.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf
Come up with some ideas? Improve upon disabled? As much as some folk might
like to believe otherwise, homelessness isn't always the result of being out of
a job. Hell, I know of a couple of people with full-time jobs and no home
Why don't they have a home? Spend too much time looking for places to rent at the pub? Bag of weed shorting them on damage deposit? Too good to live in a bachelor pad until they can find something bigger? Too good to walk or car pool to work? Apparently they haven't made enough sacrifices to find a home.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

I have spoken to some of the younger and seemingly able-bodied homeless people who live on the sidewalks of Toronto and a few of them choose this as a lifestyle, moving back and forth between Vancouver, Toronto & Montreal, as weather permits. Some people like the the transient, nomad life I guess.