Ontario Storms : May 21st

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
May 21 storm sixth costliest weather event in Canadian history, Insurance Bureau of Canada says
Damage is estimated at over $720 million in Ontario and $155 million in Quebec

Author of the article:Megan Gillis
Publishing date:Jun 17, 2022 • 11 hours ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation
A late May wind storm that toppled power lines and trees, and damaged homes caused more than $875 million in insurable damage in Ottawa, southern Ontario and Quebec.
A late May wind storm that toppled power lines and trees, and damaged homes caused more than $875 million in insurable damage in Ottawa, southern Ontario and Quebec. PHOTO BY TONY CALDWELL /Postmedia
The storm that toppled trees and hydro poles in Ottawa caused more than $875 million in insured damage as it swept from southern Ontario into Quebec May 21, according to initial estimates.

Damage is estimated at over $720 million in Ontario and $155 million in Quebec according to Catastrophe Indices and Quantification Inc., the Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) said in a release.

The bureau pointed to the widespread destruction, deaths — at least five in the Ottawa area and 10 across Ontario — and widespread power outages.

“The derecho event ranks as the sixth largest in terms of insured losses in Canadian history and is a sobering reminder of the increasing risk climate change poses to communities across Canada,” IBC said in the release.

“IBC continues to advocate for a National Adaptation Strategy that will result in tangible short-term measures that improve Canada’s climate defence. Governments at all levels must act with urgency to prioritize investments that reduce the impact of these severe weather events on families and communities.”

Eight of the costliest disaster in Canadian history have happened since 2011.

Top 10 natural disasters in Canada by insurance payouts (2021 dollars)

Fort McMurray wildfires, 2016, $4 billion
Eastern Ice storm, 1998, $2.3 billion
Southern Alberta floods, 2013, 1.8 billion
Alberta hailstorm, 2020, $1.2 billion
Toronto flood, 2013, $1 billion
Ontario-Quebec windstorm, 2022, $875 million
Toronto flood, 2005, $780 million
Ontario windstorm, 2018, $695 million
British Columbia flood, 2021, $675 million
Slave Lake fire, 2011, $600 million
Wind damage is usually covered by home, commercial property and auto insurance policies, IBC said.

The bureau was on the ground in Ottawa after the storm and said residents with insurance questions can reach them at 1-844-227-5422) or ConsumerCentre@ibc.ca and find more information about wind damage online.

• Haha
Reactions: DaSleeper

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
May 21 storm sixth costliest weather event in Canadian history, Insurance Bureau of Canada says
Damage is estimated at over $720 million in Ontario and $155 million in Quebec

Author of the article:Megan Gillis
Publishing date:Jun 17, 2022 • 11 hours ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation
A late May wind storm that toppled power lines and trees, and damaged homes caused more than $875 million in insurable damage in Ottawa, southern Ontario and Quebec.
A late May wind storm that toppled power lines and trees, and damaged homes caused more than $875 million in insurable damage in Ottawa, southern Ontario and Quebec. PHOTO BY TONY CALDWELL /Postmedia
The storm that toppled trees and hydro poles in Ottawa caused more than $875 million in insured damage as it swept from southern Ontario into Quebec May 21, according to initial estimates.

Damage is estimated at over $720 million in Ontario and $155 million in Quebec according to Catastrophe Indices and Quantification Inc., the Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) said in a release.

The bureau pointed to the widespread destruction, deaths — at least five in the Ottawa area and 10 across Ontario — and widespread power outages.

“The derecho event ranks as the sixth largest in terms of insured losses in Canadian history and is a sobering reminder of the increasing risk climate change poses to communities across Canada,” IBC said in the release.

“IBC continues to advocate for a National Adaptation Strategy that will result in tangible short-term measures that improve Canada’s climate defence. Governments at all levels must act with urgency to prioritize investments that reduce the impact of these severe weather events on families and communities.”

Eight of the costliest disaster in Canadian history have happened since 2011.

Top 10 natural disasters in Canada by insurance payouts (2021 dollars)

Fort McMurray wildfires, 2016, $4 billion
Eastern Ice storm, 1998, $2.3 billion
Southern Alberta floods, 2013, 1.8 billion
Alberta hailstorm, 2020, $1.2 billion
Toronto flood, 2013, $1 billion
Ontario-Quebec windstorm, 2022, $875 million
Toronto flood, 2005, $780 million
Ontario windstorm, 2018, $695 million
British Columbia flood, 2021, $675 million
Slave Lake fire, 2011, $600 million
Wind damage is usually covered by home, commercial property and auto insurance policies, IBC said.

The bureau was on the ground in Ottawa after the storm and said residents with insurance questions can reach them at 1-844-227-5422) or ConsumerCentre@ibc.ca and find more information about wind damage online.
At least 3 of those disasters were man made. Or caused by human neglect.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Single source spammy......
If I wanted to read the sun I would pick it up at the check out at the grocery store
other than that I'm allowed to comment on any post whether I read it or not..... Non??????

Reactions: Dixie Cup

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Single source spammy......
If I wanted to read the sun I would pick it up at the check out at the grocery store
other than that I'm allowed to comment on any post whether I read it or not..... Non??????
- i post from the sun because dad subscribed to it and i got accustomed to it thats all.
- many of the suns post originate from other news sources
- nobody is forcing you to read anything
- if my posts are so triggering there is an ignore feature
- there are others who post from the same sources
- if i choose another source eg. citynews, the star, etc. i suspect the end result would be the same
- you are just looking for any excuse to be a complete asshole
- no, you dont have the right to continuously harass me for several years

Reactions: petros