Ontario Premier Doug Ford eliminating driver's licence plate renewal fees and stickers

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I was a happy camper when I found out that Sask only requires one plate and no stupid stickers. Don't know what they are like in the rest of Canada but BC must buy them from some third world country that uses the thinnest material possible and then makes them in two parts. Try putting one of those suckers on in the middle of winter. Sheesh.

NB went to one plate a couple years ago which is great, except we still pay the same for one as we did for two.

They also finally changed the inspections to once every three years.

Plates here are single piece of likely aluminum or something similar.

Reactions: Mowich

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
This is just Ford cheaping out in order to get votes.

Raise wages for nurses and bring back rent control.
Rent control is a bad idea. BC has imposed this dumb idea for several years, along with a Landlord Tenant act that is disgustingly tilted towards renters. The result is no one wants to build rental housing, which puts price pressure on existing units.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I was a happy camper when I found out that Sask only requires one plate and no stupid stickers. Don't know what they are like in the rest of Canada but BC must buy them from some third world country that uses the thinnest material possible and then makes them in two parts. Try putting one of those suckers on in the middle of winter. Sheesh.
BC is going away from annual stickers. I guess it will be like commercial trailer plates, which are non expiring.

Reactions: Mowich

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I don't disagree with your suggestion but if this is what people want then it should be fine to 'buy votes'.

The exception is if there's some greater harm to people in doing so.

The banal stuff to figure this out that bears repeating: We don't know how much revenue this brought in but that's obviously a loss there. What the government did with that revenue is also good to know and what people truly gain in value from not paying it anymore is the last bit to figure out.
Simple. They can now lay off all the government employees that did the renewal. That saves the $120 .

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Simple. They can now lay off all the government employees that did the renewal. That saves the $120 .

Yeah but now you introduce the new problem of not having certain services.

If you live in a place where most people rely on those services then it becomes a net harm.

You need to figure that out first before you decide to start terminating people from their jobs.

If you don't, then people will just rehire those individuals later and you end up in an endless loop of firing and rehiring.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Yeah but now you introduce the new problem of not having certain services.

If you live in a place where most people rely on those services then it becomes a net harm.

You need to figure that out first before you decide to start terminating people from their jobs.
If there are no license plates to hand out or collect fees for, there is no job for these people.
Why provide a service that is not required?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
If there are no license plates to hand out or collect fees for, there is no job for these people.
Why provide a service that is not required?

You need to determine which public employees you're terminating to balance that cost.

No business just fires people at random.

• Haha
Reactions: taxslave

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario
Our local Service Ontario office shut down 3 years ago. There is another 15 minutes up the road. Besides vehicle related stuff, they also renewed health cards and other Ontario services. Now with the Covid shutdowns, most all of this is being done online. Actually, I prefer online, much less hassle, standing in line etc. It will be tougher for people that don't use computers.....heathens that they are....lol