Ontario Premier Doug Ford eliminating driver's licence plate renewal fees and stickers

TheShadow

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2020
Grand Bend
Kiss the front plate goodbye and say hello to RFID scanable rear plate.
It's going to be a large loss to the province so I can see them going to one plate at some point but they say it's going to remain two plates at the moment and there will still be stickers but you just don't pay for them.

There is already an ALPR police car in most OPP detachments.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
One sticker with rfid until new plates are issued. Happened in SK and AB ages ago.
I was a happy camper when I found out that Sask only requires one plate and no stupid stickers. Don't know what they are like in the rest of Canada but BC must buy them from some third world country that uses the thinnest material possible and then makes them in two parts. Try putting one of those suckers on in the middle of winter. Sheesh.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Ontario drivers warned of licence plate refund scam
Last week, the province announced it is eliminating licence plate stickers and renewal fee

Author of the article:Kevin Connor
Publishing date:Feb 28, 2022 • 15 hours ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation
Text message scam illustration.
Text message scam illustration. PHOTO BY STOCK ART /Getty Images
Article content
Peel Regional Police are warning of a text message scam involving licence plate sticker refunds.

“A Twitter follower sent us a screenshot of a text they received for a refund. @Service Ontario doesn’t send refunds through text,” police tweeted Sunday night.

Last week, the province announced it is eliminating licence plate stickers and renewal fees effective March 13. Ontario will refund any licence plate renewal fees that drivers have paid since March 2020.

The move will save average motorists $120 in Southern Ontario and $60 in Northern Ontario annually.

If someone qualifies for a refund, Service Ontario will mail it to their home starting at the end of March.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content

To see if you qualify, visit the Service Ontario website.

— With files from CP and Antonella Artuso

kconnor@postmedia.com

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
This is just Ford cheaping out in order to get votes.

Raise wages for nurses and bring back rent control.

I don't disagree with your suggestion but if this is what people want then it should be fine to 'buy votes'.

The exception is if there's some greater harm to people in doing so.

The banal stuff to figure this out that bears repeating: We don't know how much revenue this brought in but that's obviously a loss there. What the government did with that revenue is also good to know and what people truly gain in value from not paying it anymore is the last bit to figure out.

Reactions: Tecumsehsbones