Old guns

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
That would be a cap lock, the flint lock is identifiable by the flint on the hammer and the striking surface, (I think it's called the frizzen, but I'mnot sure) which when struck flips up and exposes the ensuing spark to the powder in the flash pan, where the expression for a misfire, a flash in the pan came from. The cap and nipple replaced all that and is more reliable because the the priming powder in the pan could get wet in inclement weather, hence the other expression, keep your powder dry.

I built a .54 cal Hawken Cap lock from a kit by Thompson Centre. Sweet rifle but it needs constant up keep from the dampness out here.
There are a variety of air dryers around. We have a couple in our cabinet. Brownells Search : Gunsmith Tools & Supplies : Shop Accessories & Supplies : Gun Storage Materials - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
The RCMP had nothing to do with the program. It was Metro Toronto Police, and the weapons were destroyed.
Whichever outfit it was is irrelevant. And of course, they would tell you that the firearms would be destroyed. lol Cops do lie, you know.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County

Thanx for the info, you can take the boy out of the prairie but... I still haven't aclimatized, folks out here have "gun rooms", now I know why, dampness and mould are systemic and running dehumidifiers for the whole house is costly.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Caplock. Hammer hits a cap on the nipple as opposed to the frizzen or cock holding the flint hitting the steel which throws sparks onto the powder in the pan.
Flintlock:

Caplock:
Thank you.
I knew roughly how they worked. I just couldn't tell at a glance what that rifle was. The flintlock must have been a frustrating damn thing to use in the rain.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Thank you.
I knew roughly how they worked. I just couldn't tell at a glance what that rifle was. The flintlock must have been a frustrating damn thing to use in the rain.

A percussion rifle isn't as susceptible, but the powder can still get wet, and it's a real b*tch when you've forgotten your nipple wrench at home.:-(

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Here's a pic of a .69 caliber M1 Springfield like the oldest critter we have. Ours is missing the ramrod and has a broken mainspring, though. We've though about getting a replica, but haven't acted on it yet.

Years ago I had a replica very similar to that but in .58 cal.
Was coming back home in my truck from hunting one evening and hadn't seen any moose all day when I get stopped by the MNR....
When he asked me if the rifle was loaded ....I explained to him that the only way to unload that rifle was to fire it....and then since I was using black powder and not pyrodex, it would be a big job to clean it with soap and water.....so I had just removed the primer cap to make it safe.

When I explained to the officer the sequence in loading that rifle and that you had to literally be over the muzzle to ram the maxi ball in place....and that since a cartridge consists of three elements Bullet, propellant and primer I didn't consider my gun loaded...

That officer was very nice, since they had no rules about muzzle loaders, he said he would get back to me..

Three months later, I get a phone call from him telling me that his bosses in Toronto had finally got back to him, and agreed with me on my definition of a loaded muzzle loader..:lol:

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Whichever outfit it was is irrelevant. And of course, they would tell you that the firearms would be destroyed. lol Cops do lie, you know.
You are pretty cynical aren't you.

Anyway, I damaged them so they were worthless.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Hey Wan; I already tol you it was a cap lock. You got me on ignore also??

8O

Sorry.
As far as I know I don't have anyone on ignore. I've been running around like a fool and a bit stupid I'm sure. A son, a daughter in law, two young grand kids with this damn swine flu and I don't think I've had a good night's sleep in quite a while.

I just got word that the two young ones have improved considerably so I hope they are finally turning the corner.