Oh no! Tim Hortons plummets in ranking of Canadian brands

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
What they did was all within labour laws but the entitled want their entitlements even though it was a bonus others don't get.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
What they did was all within labour laws but the entitled want their entitlements even though it was a bonus others don't get.

What are you talking about? Who the hell are those "entitled"? Are those the ones who get 20 hrs a week at minimum wage because none of those places use full time labour ... so that the francisees don't have to cover any "entitlements" .

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
What are you talking about? Who the hell are those "entitled"? Are those the ones who get 20 hrs a week at minimum wage because none of those places use full time labour ... so that the francisees don't have to cover any "entitlements" .

You are entitled to a 1/2 for lunch as per labour laws. Coffee breaks are a bonus and not mandatory.

Hours have nothing to do with it.

That was the big stink. Paid coffee breaks were axed and the "entitled" lost their minds.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Too many Tims 'n the Hood- I was driving to work this AM and thinking about all the Timmy Hos that were within a block or so of my route 7 of them anyway and this isn't a particularly big place.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I worked at Tims for three years, night shift, donut finisher.

I will sometimes go for hot chocolate and maybe a donut - though would rather timbits - but overall, I dislike and even despise the company.

When I worked there, the 'threat' of unionizing had us have a store meeting about it. We were basically told if we tried, we'd all be fired, they'd change a bit of things, then new people hired. "There's more where you came from" kind of idea.

Yeah I realize it's true, but as an employee, hearing that you're not worth anything wasn't great to hear.

Nothing that Tims does surprises me, especially in how it will try to get away with anything against their employees.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Is the drop in ranking the result of the troubles with minimum wages in Ontario last year, or does it indicate that people are getting bored with the brand? I don't think blaming Ontario's changing wages is an accurate assessment of the problem. There are nine other provinces and three territories.
---

Double double trouble? Tim Hortons plummets in ranking of Canadian brands
Coffee chain falls to 50th from 4th on annual ranking of brand reputation
- Pete Evans · CBC News

A public spat with some of its franchisees and outrage over its response to minimum wage hikes seems to have made a dent in Canadians' much-publicized love for Tim Hortons this year, as the iconic coffee and doughnut chain has plummeted on an annual ranking of brands by market research firm Leger.

Every year, Leger tabulates information on the reputations of various brands that operate in Canada, and tabulates what consumers think of them. This year, between Dec. 19 and Jan. 29, the company surveyed approximately 2,100 English- and French-speaking Canadians, aged 18 or older, for their views on 241 different brands that operate across the country.

One of the biggest surprises in the ranking was the changing fortunes of Tim Hortons. The chain was ranked fourth overall in 2016, but for this year's ranking it plunged all the way to 50th.

The company openly squabbled with some of its franchisees for much of 2017 over cutbacks and other cost increases, something which has clearly started to influence its customer loyalty.

But another major factor seems to have been the story first reported by CBC News that some owners were cutting back on employee hours and other benefits in response to hikes in the minimum wage.

"Tim Hortons, a perennial top five brand that we've previously believed impervious to issue, has fallen mightily in the court of public opinion," said Rick Murray, managing partner and chief digital strategist with public relations firm National, which also worked on the ranking.

Double double trouble? Tim Hortons plummets in ranking of Canadian brands | CBC News

timmys stuck in a well. ;)

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
That's what happens when a foreign corporate entity takes over (buys) a successful institution. They don't give a rats ass about the employees - it's all about the money which is why they purchased it to begin with.

It's too bad that, when Tim's went up for sale, that there wasn't a Canadian business who understood what the store meant to Canadians, was around to buy it and if there was, it was likely out-bid. That's the coldness of a free market but hey, $$ speaks volumes and people have the option of not buying their products. So the business either has to change or shut down - that's how the free market works. People can complain all they want but the ultimate decision is theirs to make

Likewise, employees can decide whether to stay or leave; if the employees suck, the business suffers and they either change or shut down. That's the beauty of a free market - the ability for the public to determine if you succeed or fail. The bad part though is that sometimes employees suffer the consequences of business decisions and that part truly sucks! Gotta take the good with the bad though!

JMHO

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
You are entitled to a 1/2 for lunch as per labour laws. Coffee breaks are a bonus and not mandatory.

That was the big stink. Paid coffee breaks were axed and the "entitled" lost their minds.

a 10 minute break every two hours is the law in BC.

So you think that the Ontario story affected things nationwide?

It certainly got nationwide media attention. I don't know if that really stopped too many people. Just added to the load since that was only in Ontario. Anyone I have talked to about it just said they were tired of long waits for crappy food and lousy coffee. Funny thing even in union towns no one much cares about the low end workers as long as they get cheap prices.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

Yes, those fat-cat "entitled" at Tim Horton's, eh?

Nobody likes a bully.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
That's what happens when a foreign corporate entity takes over (buys) a successful institution. They don't give a rats ass about the employees - it's all about the money which is why they purchased it to begin with.

It's a 2-way street.

The employer needs the employees just as much as the employees need the employer and each body has a degree of control. A move to unionize is in many regards a motion to gain greater control.

Depending on how the conversation went in the example you responded to, I am not terribly surprised that the employer countered that move with one of their own.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
...It certainly got nationwide media attention. I don't know if that really stopped too many people. Just added to the load since that was only in Ontario. Anyone I have talked to about it just said they were tired of long waits for crappy food and lousy coffee. Funny thing even in union towns no one much cares about the low end workers as long as they get cheap prices.

I believe this has been mentioned before, but the province created the problem when they upped the minimum wage. Some franchisees reacted by changing their business plan, which I would have done if it cut into my bottom line.

The Ontario government caused this, but it seems they got away with it. They managed to deflect most of the blame onto the individual business people. Any employee perks that went away were because these businesses had to pay out an additional $2.75/hr to many of their employees.

Not all franchise owners have money to burn. They have their own bills and have owned their businesses for different lengths of time. As a result, changes had to be made. Some were not liked by employees or customers. For the people in Ontario, remember this in June.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I believe this has been mentioned before, but the province created the problem when they upped the minimum wage. Some franchisees reacted by changing their business plan, which I would have done if it cut into my bottom line.

The Ontario government caused this, but it seems they got away with it. They managed to deflect most of the blame onto the individual business people. Any employee perks that went away were because these businesses had to pay out an additional $2.75/hr to many of their employees.

Not all franchise owners have money to burn. They have their own bills and have owned their businesses for different lengths of time. As a result, changes had to be made. Some were not liked by employees or customers. For the people in Ontario, remember this in June.

The minimum wage increase was not the big shocker here, it was ultimately the severity of the increase coupled with how fast it was being put in place.

That $2.75/hr is the number that the employee will see (at the extreme low end) however it's a larger # for the employer when the payroll taxes, etc are factored in.

Further to that. everyone withing that $2.75 range will also be expecting a relative increase as well.

You can't fault the actual fundamentals of the policy, but it's in the way that it was executed that has screwed small business

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Dirtiest bathrooms in a fast food restaurant. Who the hell puts a hand dryer next to a urinal?

All I know is that after washing my hands in one of their restrooms, I open doors with my elbows and hold my hands up like a surgeon heading into an operating room. Half the human race was not properly toilet trained.