: New pope elected is Pope Francis, Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio of Argentina.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
New pope elected is Pope Francis, Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio of Argentina.

New pope ushered in by white smoke at Sistine Chapel | Holy Post | National Post

White smoke billowed from the Sistine Chapel and the bells of St. Peter’s Basilica tolled, signalling the Roman Catholic Church has a new pope.

The smoke was the first sign that the 115 cardinals in the papal conclave elected a new leader for world’s 1.2 billion Catholics.

The new pope should appear within a half an hour on the balcony of St. Peter’s Basilica, shortly after the church announces “Habemus Papum” – “We have a pope” and gives the name of the new pontiff.

The first person on the balcony will be Cardinal Jean-Louis Tauran, who will make the announcement and give the new pope’s Latin name.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ardinal-jorge-mario-bergoglio/article9724199/

Argentina's Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio will be the next pope, the Catholic Church announced Wednesday -- the first pope from the Americas.

Bergoglio, 76, has spent nearly his entire career at home in Argentina, overseeing churches and shoe-leather priests. The archbishop of Buenos Aires reportedly got the second-most votes after Joseph Ratzinger in the 2005 papal election, and he has long specialized in the kind of pastoral work that some say is an essential skill for the next pope.

Bergoglio had reportedly finished second in the 2005 conclave that produced Benedict XVI — who last month became the first pope to resign in 600 years. According to the National Catholic Reporter, "Bergoglio's reputation for personal simplicity also exercised an undeniable appeal – a Prince of the Church who chose to live in a simple apartment rather than the archbishop's palace, who gave up his chauffeured limousine in favor of taking the bus to work, and who cooked his own meals."

In a lifetime of teaching and leading priests in Latin America, which has the largest share of the world’s Catholics, Bergoglio has shown a keen political sensibility as well as the kind of self-effacing humility that fellow cardinals value highly. Bergoglio is known for modernizing an Argentine church that had been among the most conservative in Latin America.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
A humble man with a social conscience. I am liking Pope Francis 1. An incredible presence when he addressed the people.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
A humble man with a social conscience. I am liking Pope Francis 1. An incredible presence when he addressed the people.

He has an impossible task ahead of him. But reading just what I have I am impressed by his humility.
What he did in SA.
Not contaminated by the politics of the Vatican.
And a Jesuit.
From what I had read the Cardinals were briefed on a number of serious problems within the church. From abuse, to corruption, including the Vatican Bank to the inner cliques that throw up roadblocks to change.

Perhaps he should retire a small number of these individuals. Sends a very clear message.

Expand the number of Cardinals would be another.

Last edited:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
He has an impossible task ahead of him.
Yes. They say he is a good administrator. Roman wasn't built in a day...lol. A Latin American pope is a good sign. Yes he is a conservative but wow, what a presence and a man who led a simple life, took the bus to work everyday. I just really liked how he presented and smiled, he is charismatic.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
"Bergoglio may be basically conservative on many issues, but he's no defender of clerical privilege, or insensitive to pastoral realities. In September 2012, he delivered a blistering attack on priests who refuse to baptize children born out of wedlock, calling it a form of 'rigorous and hypocritical neo-clericalism.'"
-Profile: New pope, Jesuit Bergoglio, was runner-up in 2005 conclave | National Catholic Reporter

Prayer of Saint Francis of Assisi

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury,pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
That's a surprise. There wasn't much buzz around his name in the runup.

When i first saw him and heard his voice... i was thinking still waters run deep. I nearly fell off my chair when i heard he was a Jesuit. But.. he seems very humble, gentle, prayerful.. a little like JP1 maybe (who lasted 33 days).. but you shouldn't read too much into first impressions.

I do expect he might be of a different archetype than of the socially, ecclesiastically, liturgically and theologically activist ministries JP2 and B16.. in fact most of the Popes of the 20th century.. less confrontational.. less oriented to teaching.. more of worship. Also less focussed on first world apostate culture and more on evangelism in the developing world. Although, in fairness, those issues, especially in the West, are not going to go away.

He seems to be a pope of the 'southern Church'.. driven by passion, in Francis' case a quiet charism.. than of the intense and logical 'reason' of the northern Church. He is also outside the direct intellectual lineage established by B16, was in fact his primary rival in the 2005 Conclave.

The reason the 'Jesuit' surprised me was that for a long time it was thought that the Jesuit constitution precluded election to the Papacy. And frequently the ranks have been filled with free thinking adventurers, intellectual and of missionary zeal. The Superior General of the Jesuits used to be called the Black Pope because of the Society's reputation of Machiavellian politcal intrigues.

'Francis' as well is a first.. leaving no footsteps or trace of Pontifical character and continuity. St. Francis of Assisi maybe.. or St. Francis Xavier.. very different inspirations.

It's all new territory.. i hope... in fact pray.. it all goes well. :)

Last edited:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
He broke the convention and did not follow papal protocol so he is his own man... a good sign.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
He broke the convention and did not follow papal protocol so he is his own man... a good sign.

Not a conservative as many think.

New pope known for modernizing Argentine church - The Globe and Mail

Argentine cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio will be known as Francis. He is the first pope to be known by that name, and the first from the Americas.

Bergoglio, 76, has spent nearly his entire career at home in Argentina, overseeing churches and shoe-leather priests. The archbishop of Buenos Aires reportedly got the second-most votes after Joseph Ratzinger in the 2005 papal election, and he has long specialized in the kind of pastoral work that some say is an essential skill for the next pope.

In a lifetime of teaching and leading priests in Latin America, which has the largest share of the world’s Catholics, Bergoglio has shown a keen political sensibility as well as the kind of self-effacing humility that fellow cardinals value highly. Bergoglio is known for modernizing an Argentine church that had been among the most conservative in Latin America.

My point And little tolerance for Idiots
New pope known for modernizing Argentine church - The Globe and Mail

Although he is a staunch opponent of same-sex marriage, abortion and contraception, the new pope has show compassion to sufferers of HIV/AIDS and children born out of wedlock, according to the National Catholic Reporter.

“In our ecclesiastical region there are priests who don’t baptize the children of single mothers because they weren’t conceived in the sanctity of marriage,” Bergoglio told his priests.

“These are today’s hypocrites. Those who clericalize the Church. Those who separate the people of God from salvation. And this poor girl who, rather than returning the child to sender, had the courage to carry it into the world, must wander from parish to parish so that it’s baptized!”

My Point -He will also have confront this in Brazil and other countries.

Both men were freed after Bergoglio took extraordinary, behind-the-scenes action to save them — including persuading dictator Jorge Videla’s family priest to call in sick so that he could say Mass in the junta leader’s home, where he privately appealed for mercy. His intervention likely saved their lives, but Bergoglio never shared the details until Rubin interviewed him for the 2010 biography.

Bergoglio — who ran Argentina’s Jesuit order during the dictatorship — told Rubin that he regularly hid people on church property during the dictatorship, and once gave his identity papers to a man with similar features, enabling him to escape across the border. But all this was done in secret, at a time when church leaders publicly endorsed the junta and called on Catholics to restore their “love for country” despite the terror in the streets.

Rubin said failing to challenge the dictators was simply pragmatic at a time when so many people were getting killed, and attributed Bergoglio’s later reluctance to share his side of the story as a reflection of his humility.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
If he stood up to Videla's henchmen.. that's all for the good.. because many clerics were deeply sympathetic.. providing moral and material support to the Videla and Pinochet regimes.. a black mark on the Church that remains to this day.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I understand he is s Jesuit Priest. Although somewhat conservative they have a bit of
a liberal streak and they are close to the people. Usually they are not that popular in
Rome for a number of reasons. I am cautiously optimistic that he can steer some of
the changes required. No he won't see a finished blazed trail but he might be starting
down a different road.
We won't see women priests tomorrow bu he may look at it.
I am very pleased they didn't give the job to the Canadian, he is a social conservative
and out of touch with the modern world. This guy is snot tied to the dictators of SA
and he is not part of the see scandals either.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Anyone that thinks the RC Church will change overnight well give the Pope time. Myself I find that I am pleased by the selection of the new Pope. But change for such a large Religion takes time.
Consider that.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State

He reminds me so much of John Paul I who was also a humble and pious man. Too bad he died after only 30 days in office. My hope is that Pope Francis will be around for a long time to come and bring about the type of reforms envisioned by Pope John and JPI.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I'm not Roman Catholic. I don't even consider myself a Christian anymore. This doesn't affect me for the most part, except in the way I view the RC Church: as one of the largest lobby groups for social conservatism. Because of many of its views, the influence of the Church is declining in our society, and I am OK with that. I admire the charitable works done but I dislike the politicizing from the pulpit that is too common, with their definitions of sin, the Church's refusal to accept women as equal to men, etc. In some ways, I think my view of society is best served by an old school, super conservative who will further isolate and reduce the Church's influence but whatever.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
He reminds me so much of John Paul I who was also a humble and pious man. Too bad he died after only 30 days in office. My hope is that Pope Francis will be around for a long time to come and bring about the type of reforms envisioned by Pope John and JPI.
At this point they are in such a mess of scandals it would be wonderful if he could just point them in the right direction. I don't expect to see any great leaps because they move slowly at the best of times but a focus on the poor of the world and cleaning things up from an administrative perspective would be excellent. He appears squeaky clean and he is charismatic.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Pope Francis ‘brings the house down’ at the Vatican with holy humour | Holy Post | National Post

Argentinian archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio is well known for his humility. And with true humility, the kind free of pretension and self-importance, comes humour. Turns out, Pope Francis is actually kind of funny.

Staying true to his humble roots, the new Pope shunned a special car and security detail provided to shuttle him to the Vatican, saying instead “I’ll just go with the guys [cardinals] on the bus,” New York Archbishop Cardinal Timothy Dolan quoted Pope Francis as saying.

At dinner, Pope Francis “brought the house down” with a toast and an affable air of sincerity and simplicity, Cardinal Dolan said.

“He toasted us and he simply said, ‘May God forgive you,’ which brought the house down. In other words, ‘I hope you don’t regret this later.’”

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Pope Francis ‘brings the house down’ at the Vatican with holy humour | Holy Post | National Post

Argentinian archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio is well known for his humility. And with true humility, the kind free of pretension and self-importance, comes humour. Turns out, Pope Francis is actually kind of funny.

Staying true to his humble roots, the new Pope shunned a special car and security detail provided to shuttle him to the Vatican, saying instead “I’ll just go with the guys [cardinals] on the bus, New York Archbishop Cardinal Timothy Dolan quoted Pope Francis as saying.

At dinner, Pope Francis “brought the house down” with a toast and an affable air of sincerity and simplicity, Cardinal Dolan said.

“He toasted us and he simply said, ‘May God forgive you,’ which brought the house down. In other words, ‘I hope you don’t regret this later.’”
wonderful, wonderful, wonderful

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
one negative thing I heard about him on the news. he's against rape abortions. no one should be forced to give birth to rapists children.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
one negative thing I heard about him on the news. he's against rape abortions. no one should be forced to give birth to rapists children.
That is official church teaching so he must uphold that.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I don't think they should have to either spammy but I won't condemn someone for having the conviction about the innocence and rights of a fetus to think they are all equal in the eyes of god.

Statistically speaking, all of us know at least one child of a rapist, whether they were conceived through rape or not. They'd argue quite strenuously, and I would as well, that they are no less people because of their parentage. So if you consider a person to have been whole when they were conceived, it's pretty hard to remain silent about their death for the sins of their father.