NEB vs Province of Quebec

Queb

Electoral Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ummmmmm. NON!
mmmmmm yes. Provinces are federated states of the canadian federation.

A federated state (which may be referred to as a state, a province, a canton, a Land, etc.) is a territorial and constitutional community forming part of a federation.[1] Such states differ from fully sovereign states, in that they have transferred a portion of their sovereign powers to a federal government.[2] Importantly, when states choose to federate, they lose their standing as persons of international law. Instead, the federal union as a single entity becomes the sovereign state for purposes of international law.[3] A federated state holds administrative jurisdiction over a defined geographic territory and is a form of regional government.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federated_state

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I he UN recognised Canada as a federated state, Québec being a province of Canada.

In fact, I think the UN just recognise it as a state and doesn't stick its nose in what kind of state it is.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
mmmmmm yes. Provinces are federated states of the canadian federation.

Way to prove that you have no standing under international law...thanks

[2] Importantly, when states choose to federate, they lose their standing as persons of international law. Instead, the federal union as a single entity becomes the sovereign state for purposes of international law.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Whereas a federation has a strong central government, a confederation is more of an agreement between separate bodies to cooperate with each other.

Queb

Electoral Member
Jun 23, 2013
Confédération Canadienne....look it up.

Canada is a federation[5] and not a confederate association of sovereign states, the meaning of confederation in contemporary political theory. However, it is often considered to be among the world's more decentralized federations.[6] The use of the term "Confederation" arose in the Province of Canada to refer to proposals beginning in the 1850s to federate all of the British North American colonies, as opposed to only Canada West (Ontario) and Canada East (Quebec). To contemporaries of Confederation the "con" prefix indicated a strengthening of the centrist principle compared to the American federation.[7]

In this Canadian context, confederation generally describes the political process that united the colonies in the 1860s, related events and the subsequent incorporation of other colonies and territories.[8] The term confederation is now often used to describe Canada in an abstract way, "the Fathers of Confederation" itself being one such usage. Provinces and territories that became part of Canada after 1867 are also said to have joined, or entered into, confederation (but not the Confederation).[9] The term is also used to divide Canadian history into pre-Confederation (i.e. pre-1867) and post-Confederation (i.e. post-1867) periods.[10]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Confederation

But if we stay inside the federation, all federated state of canada have their territory protected by constitution. To change anything of the territory of a federated state, you need his permission. Once Quebec will be independent, the canadian constitution will no longer be applied and it's gonna be the international laws about the integrity of the sovereign country.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Confederation

But if we stay inside the federation, all federated state of canada have their territory protected by constitution. To change anything of the territory of a federated state, you need his permission. Once Quebec will be independent, the canadian constitution will no longer be applied and it's gonna be the international laws about the integrity of the sovereign country.

You still have to do the deal to separate before you can use international law. Even then international law has no teeth.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
There is no such thing as Britanno-Canadian culture. There is only Canadian culture and french-Canadian culture. We do not consider ourselves anything other than Canadian. You conversely put french first which is why you are despised by the west. Funny thing is you are despised by the real French also. You have alienated both sides of your claimed culture and heritage. That alone should give you some guidance that yu may have been in error but I stead of recognizing your shortcomings you just get even more arrogant and ignorant. So be it. You have painted yourselves into a corner and there is no successful way out for you now.
Yes even the esteemed Rene Levesque said after separation they must learn the English to compete in the modern world .

According to international law, Canada is a state. Quebec isn't.

I'm not necessarily against Québec sovereignty. I'm just pointing out that Quebec's present international status is no different than that of Kitigan Zibi.

Really? So why do Anglos in Richmond BC always bitch and complain about Chinese-only commercial signs?

To be clear, I have no problem with the government imposing official unilingualism of one official language of government administration on itself. In fact, I'd welcome that.

But in the private sector, unless there is a compelling safety reasons, it crosses a line.

And no double standard here. I say the same about Québec. One official language of government, fine. But leave the private sector alone.
Some English speaking Canadians sometime complain about Chinese only signs , Quebec enacted laws against English signs . By the way are all whites Anglo's ?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Way to prove that you have no standing under international law...thanks
The idea of international law makes me skin crawl, if you ain't here with us on the day, you don't exist, you can't5 sacve us from the cold, you're full of shgit, there is no international law, there is strong forearms, sharp steel and quick wits. The eternal formulae. If you make it as far as breakfast we'll listen.
In case you wonder, no I don't.,

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.