Merger of the Century: Why Canada and America Should Become One Country

Sons of Liberty

Walks on Water
Aug 24, 2010
Evil Empire
This sentence betrays the underlying misunderstanding that makes her proposal the worst possible deal Canada could make. The US is a "melting pot" in which overwhelming pressure is brought to make everybody become members of an ideology which only benefits the top of the pyramid.

Please explain this alleged overwhelming pressure we apply to immigrants that in effect only benefits the top of the pyramid, I already know you cannot backup this ridiculous statement, but I would love to see you try.

In looking at Canadian v US culture the biggest reason why such a union is contrary to Canada's best interest can be found in their budgets. Canada's biggest budget item is health care, looking after each other. America's biggest budget item is its various militaries - it thrives on war, conflict and killing.

Another lie. Actually I shouldn't really surprised, you have to engage in lies in an attempt to backup your bull****. At least target something posters cannot reference. The United States' largest expense of federal budget (2012) is indeed health care at 23%, Social Security 22% and third is defense at 19%.

You should be so lucky to have the checks and balances of our Constitution, your PM rules with an iron fist and any hint of an MP stepping out of bounds with the party is summarily ejected. The party votes as a flock of sheep at the command of the leader contrary to your assertions.

The rest of your post in comparable to the above, full of lies, deceits and misrepresentations I won't even bother addressing.

You seem like an educated elderly fellow, I would suggest you act your age, grow up and be honest otherwise no one will ever take you seriously and give you the time of day.

tober

Time Out
Aug 6, 2013
Please explain this alleged overwhelming pressure we apply to immigrants that in effect only benefits the top of the pyramid, I already know you cannot backup this ridiculous statement, but I would love to see you try.

Look at the phrase itself. "Melting" pot. Forced change. Canada welcomes others to bring their cultures into our cultural mosaic. How often do we read America's right wing zealots assert that immigrants must "be American".

What is generally agreed is that it [the Industrial Revolution] began in Britain (rather than Delaware) in the second half of the 18th century,so from about 1750 onwards,although some historians dtae the beginning from the 1760s or 1780s (Hobsbawm is notably in favour of the 1780s start).Other historians see the Industrial revolution as gradual process with no exact start date.http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20121112214827AAZalYI ).

The Industrial Revolution marked the transition of power away from the landed aristocracy to the new class of entrepreneurs. In that sense Americans and the rest of western civilization moved away from the old autocracies, but new powers took over. The “liberty and freedom” ethos claimed by America is a word game. Anybody who thinks America does not have its own version of a landed aristocracy has never heard the term “Ivy League”.

Would Canada benefit from a merger? Read on.

Another lie. Actually I shouldn't really surprised, you have to engage in lies in an attempt to backup your bull****. At least target something posters cannot reference.

Look at this out of control right wing anger? Differing political views is a lie? Do we want this for Canada? This sounds to me like somebody whose idea of a cooperative merger includes a gun. We are seeing the conservative version of the art of persuasion.

The United States' largest expense of federal budget (2012) is indeed health care at 23%, Social Security 22% and third is defense at 19%.

Really? Try http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/01/07/everything-chuck-hagel-needs-to-know-about-the-defense-budget-in-charts/. The defence figure exceeds your estimate when all defence related expenditures are factored in.

The United States spends far more than any other country on defense and security. Since 2001, the base defense budget has soared from $287 billion to $530 billion — and that's before accounting for the primary costs of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars….

All told, the U.S. government spent about $718 billion on defense and international security assistance in 2011 — more than it spent on Medicare. That includes all of the Pentagon's underlying costs as well as the price tag for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, which came to $159 billion in 2011. It also includes arms transfers to foreign governments….

4) The United States spent more on its military than the next 13 nations combined in 2011.

The 13 nations referred to are China, Russia, UK, France, Japan, India, Saudi Arabia, Brazil, Italy, South Korea, Australia and Canada. Look it up – I provided the link, a US source by the way.

It turns out you’re correct about health versus defence budget. According to http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/health_care_budget_2012_1.html defence is 23% and health is 24%. Y’all spend all that and still 20% of Americans had no access to personal affordable health care during your health debates. And you whine about it. We care for 99% of Canadians with our health budget. One big factor differentiating Canada from the US is that Americans never stop bragging about their military and complaining that they should not have to support other peoples’ health care. Is this a nation we want a merger with? For decency’s sake, no.

You should be so lucky to have the checks and balances of our Constitution, your PM rules with an iron fist and any hint of an MP stepping out of bounds with the party is summarily ejected. The party votes as a flock of sheep at the command of the leader contrary to your assertions.

Before doing so caucus agrees on the agenda and everybody is expected to back up caucus. It is a different system, something of which y’all have no comprehension. If it ain’t American it’s “wrong” and “bad”. Your media is so loud and dominating that we know what you have and we want nothing to do with it. Our Parliament can vote our government out of power at any time. That is constitutionally impossible in America.

The rest of your post in comparable to the above, full of lies, deceits and misrepresentations I won't even bother addressing.

Lies, deceits and misrepresentations? No kidding you will not address my post. You don’t even provide references for your facts, and when I provide references some of your most important facts are incorrect or misleading, or close enough to it to make no difference. Nor do I call you a liar for differing opinions. America both claimed liberty and freedom and fought to maintain slavery for over 80 years after it became a nation. Canada doesn’t want the American version of liberty and freedom. Never has.

You seem like an educated elderly fellow, I would suggest you act your age, grow up and be honest otherwise no one will ever take you seriously and give you the time of day.

You seem disdainful of seniority, education and differing opinions. No doubt you’ll change. That doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll get wiser.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Did you really post that?

It puts me in mind of a discussion I recently had with a friend living in New Jersey. It centred around what governments say, and what actually happens.

For example, the US has a legal separation of church and state. Canada makes no such separation. Yet, in practice, you'd think it was the other way around. I've always felt the melting pot/multicultural debate was a bit like that. You look at the US and there's such strong ethnic distinctions.... the Greek, the Jews, the Irish, the Italians, African Americans, etc. Very distinct communities with very distinct cultural hallmarks, all living together in a country that's VERY multicultural. Canada however, is more of a melting pot. Aside from a few large cities, our communities are so small that by nature, we melt into one. Yet we quibble and squawk over terminology.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
How do you explain Newfies? French-Canada?

For most of their histories they've kept to themselves which probably helped them to remain fairly distinct compared to the rest of the country. Quebec had a language barrier to protect it and Newfoundland is on an island and didnt join til fairly late in the game.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
For most of their histories they've kept to themselves which probably helped them to remain fairly distinct compared to the rest of the country. Quebec had a language barrier to protect it and Newfoundland is on an island and didnt join til fairly late in the game.
I've also travelled in Quebec, and I found exactly one person who did not speak English. In the main, the Quebecois have bowed to the economic inevitabilities of being in the minority. All the language rubbish is pure political window-dressing.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I've also travelled in Quebec, and I found exactly one person who did not speak English. In the main, the Quebecois have bowed to the economic inevitabilities of being in the minority. All the language rubbish is pure political window-dressing.

All I can say is things have changed a lot in 46 years. In 1967 I spent a night in Mont-Laurier Quebec and exactly three people spoke English in a town of over a 1000. We were lucky, the first person we ran into was one of them.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
All I can say is things have changed a lot in 46 years. In 1967 I spent a night in Mont-Laurier Quebec and exactly three people spoke English in a town of over a 1000. We were lucky, the first person we ran into was one of them.
The benefits of economic reality and trashy pop culture.

Sons of Liberty

Walks on Water
Aug 24, 2010
Evil Empire
Look at the phrase itself. "Melting" pot. Forced change. Canada welcomes others to bring their cultures into our cultural mosaic. How often do we read America's right wing zealots assert that immigrants must "be American".

"Melting Pot" isn't forced change, it simply is change and it doesn't happen overnight, it takes time and what exactly is wrong with it? I encounter different cultures and languages everyday in New York. The only complaint I have ever heard anyone utter is immigrants should learn to speak the local language, what's wrong with that?

The Industrial Revolution marked the transition of power away from the landed aristocracy to the new class of entrepreneurs. In that sense Americans and the rest of western civilization moved away from the old autocracies, but new powers took over. The “liberty and freedom” ethos claimed by America is a word game. Anybody who thinks America does not have its own version of a landed aristocracy has never heard the term “Ivy League”.

You're playing word games, "ivy League" means exactly what it is, nothing more nothing less.

Look at this out of control right wing anger? Differing political views is a lie?

No, differing political views is a debate, you're outright liying.

Do we want this for Canada?

You probably invented it in Canada.

This sounds to me like somebody whose idea of a cooperative merger includes a gun. We are seeing the conservative version of the art of persuasion.

This is precisely why nobody (with half a brain) takes you seriously.

It turns out you’re correct about health versus defence budget.
This is about you lying until you're called on it, not about me.

Last edited: