mcdonalds antics

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
Nope, the Interior is not important enough.. LOL..

Seriously, here are two links CB..

Public Health Protection

and the more general one..
</title> <Title>Food Safety

Enjoy.. :canada:

Thanks a bunch, Francis. I used the first link and just discovered that a restaurant I go to once in a while was nailed for improper food storage!!! (No ants, though)

I'm amazed that the Interior actually was included in the reports! OK, that just proves that G. Campbell is aware that there is something in BC "beyond Hope!" :lol:

Thanks again Francis...saved me a bunch of dial-up time! (Now only if we could convince Mr. C. that we need some high-speed internet service up here in the Heartland...)

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Thanks a bunch, Francis. I used the first link and just discovered that a restaurant I go to once in a while was nailed for improper food storage!!! (No ants, though)

I'm amazed that the Interior actually was included in the reports! OK, that just proves that G. Campbell is aware that there is something in BC "beyond Hope!" :lol:

Thanks again Francis...saved me a bunch of dial-up time! (Now only if we could convince Mr. C. that we need some high-speed internet service up here in the Heartland...)

No problem for the links.. I think knowing "what" to Google can save you much more time and bandwidth then anything else :lol: Call it an art..

As for high speed internet, I am not sure that is all Mr Campbell's fault. Perhaps a lot of it has to do with Telus, Shaw and anyone else who is not willing to put infrastructure in due to "cost" / low people count depending on your area..

But hey, he makes a great whipping boy.. :lol:

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
No problem for the links.. I think knowing "what" to Google can save you much more time and bandwidth then anything else :lol: Call it an art..

As for high speed internet, I am not sure that is all Mr Campbell's fault. Perhaps a lot of it has to do with Telus, Shaw and anyone else who is not willing to put infrastructure in due to "cost" / low people count depending on your area..

But hey, he makes a great whipping boy.. :lol:

Oh I agree...it's hard to "hone the art" when the website never appears on the screen (speed)...:smile:

Actually, the BC government - through Network BC - has a mission to ensure that "all" citizens of BC have access to broadband. Much of it will likely be in the form of wireless towers. Telus, Shaw, etc. won't even go close to the remote areas as there isn't enough return on the investment, and that makes sense to me.

So no, I'm not using Mr. C. as a whipping boy here at all...I just wish that the program which his government designed would get underway! :-(

Thanks again for your help on those links, Francis...

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Oh I agree...it's hard to "hone the art" when the website never appears on the screen (speed)...:smile:

Actually, the BC government - through Network BC - has a mission to ensure that "all" citizens of BC have access to broadband. Much of it will likely be in the form of wireless towers. Telus, Shaw, etc. won't even go close to the remote areas as there isn't enough return on the investment, and that makes sense to me.

So no, I'm not using Mr. C. as a whipping boy here at all...I just wish that the program which his government designed would get underway! :-(

Thanks again for your help on those links, Francis...

I reviewed NetworkBC again to make sure they had not changed anything.. Most of what they state still stands..

I work with a company that makes last miles wireless infrastructure.. They don't run the system as such but need a "provider" to sell the service too.. There are smaller providers willing to sell the Wireless access to certain areas at times but you must understand that a main trunk line from a Telco must go in.. without that trunk line there is a big bottle neck and no one can access bandwidth..

As to further services provided by NetworkBC it is simple and straight forward.. Wireless EVDO, satellite and such systems run off main Telco / Cable networks..

BC will never own infrastructure in Internet and nor should they..

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Having had a few bad experiences at fast food joints,i only eat what i can prepare at home for myself..the moving worms in an order of fish and chips was the final straw,
I got those in a piece of halibut once. The word got around town. :D
I'll eat halibut I'm not that crazy about it.

Ants are almost entirely proteins and they are fastidious for cleanliness.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
I reviewed NetworkBC again to make sure they had not changed anything.. Most of what they state still stands..

I work with a company that makes last miles wireless infrastructure.. They don't run the system as such but need a "provider" to sell the service too.. There are smaller providers willing to sell the Wireless access to certain areas at times but you must understand that a main trunk line from a Telco must go in.. without that trunk line there is a big bottle neck and no one can access bandwidth..

As to further services provided by NetworkBC it is simple and straight forward.. Wireless EVDO, satellite and such systems run off main Telco / Cable networks..

BC will never own infrastructure in Internet and nor should they..

Sorry to go so far off track here...yes, I understand the deal, Francis. I believe some local ISPs are trying to secure some of Network BC's grant money for tower contruction, and then plug it all in to their existing systems. That would make the whole program financially feasible for them, and I think it's a pretty good arrangement. BC is one of the nastiest places in Canada to do this, as it's all "line of sight" and those darned mountains certainly get in the way. That causes additional cost in towers to "connect" tower to tower to get the signals into the right places.

Some have devised some very good solar-powered tower systems to eliminate the need to tap into BC Hydro's system, as it isn't always in the "right places." I think we'll see most of BC get plugged in before too long. It's a very good program that Network BC has in place...

AND I NEED HIGH-SPEED! :-|

PS - And I hope the tower construction crews don't find any ants in their lunches! (There, we're back on topic!) :lol:

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
I got those in a piece of halibut once. The word got around town. :D
I'll eat halibut I'm not that crazy about it.

Ants are almost entirely proteins and they are fastidious for cleanliness.

That's why I avoid salmon sashimi or sushi...they're notorious for having little critters in the flesh. Some apparently aren't prone to having parasites though...tuna and red snapper are two that come to mind, and quite popular for raw consumption in Japan.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
That's why I avoid salmon sashimi or sushi...they're notorious for having little critters in the flesh. Some apparently aren't prone to having parasites though...tuna and red snapper are two that come to mind, and quite popular for raw consumption in Japan.

I don't think I'd let that bother me too much, as with the cookin' the critters are probably just as dead as the salmon............................:lol::lol::lol:

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
I don't think I'd let that bother me too much, as with the cookin' the critters are probably just as dead as the salmon............................:lol::lol::lol:

That's right...and I love salmon. I'm just saying I don't like to eat it raw. I'm sure some people wouldn't eat any raw fish, but I have a strange sense of taste...to me, raw tuna tastes better than cooked tuna. Maybe it something to do with the rice wine (sake) that always seems to appear before the fish comes along! :lol:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Easy way to get rid of worms and bugs is to marinate the stuff with something acidic like lemon juice in water.
Sushi is a dish that may contain either cooked fish or uncooked fish or both. Sashimi is just uncooked fish.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Easy way to get rid of worms and bugs is to marinate the stuff with something acidic like lemon juice in water.
Sushi is a dish that may contain either cooked fish or uncooked fish or both. Sashimi is just uncooked fish.

Yep, and sushi can be vegetarian too! Don't have to worry about the worms there, usually. One of my favorites is "natto sushi"...it's a simple one...sticky, slimy, smelly fermented soybeans surrounded by a sheet of "nori" (seaweed). Pretty strong tasting, but with a couple of "spollops" of karashi (hot mustard), it's a pretty bracing experience.

Hey AnnaG...you're a bit of a foodie, I know. Here's one for you...back in '95, I was invited to dinner at a special and famous chicken restaurant down in southern Japan. The restaurant has their own chicken farm attached. Imagine my surprise when the first course arrived - chicken sashimi! Oh boy, it was a bit of a challenge to get the first piece down, but it got easier as the drinks flowed. Turned out to be a pretty good meal, although raw chicken was involved in at least 3 of the 7 courses. (Memory is a bit foggy...the rice wine was good too!)

You can find raw almost-anything in Japan...beef, fish, chicken, and even horse. They're quite careful about food handling over there, thank goodness.

I think the BC Health folks might have a problem with some of those dishes showing up on a restaurant menu on this side of the ocean!

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Yep, and sushi can be vegetarian too! Don't have to worry about the worms there, usually. One of my favorites is "natto sushi"...it's a simple one...sticky, slimy, smelly fermented soybeans surrounded by a sheet of "nori" (seaweed). Pretty strong tasting, but with a couple of "spollops" of karashi (hot mustard), it's a pretty bracing experience.
Makazushi is what they call the sushi rolled in seaweed. The ingredients layered in a bowl is chirashizushi. They have other names for different styles but those are the ones I know about. I'm too lazy to make sushi so I make chirashizushi. lol
I love nori. I eat it like a snack sometimes. Tough to get here so I usually get dulse.
I'll pass on the rotting beans. I'm usually not fond of smelly things because they usually taste like they smell. lol

Hey AnnaG...you're a bit of a foodie, I know. Here's one for you...back in '95, I was invited to dinner at a special and famous chicken restaurant down in southern Japan. The restaurant has their own chicken farm attached. Imagine my surprise when the first course arrived - chicken sashimi! Oh boy, it was a bit of a challenge to get the first piece down, but it got easier as the drinks flowed. Turned out to be a pretty good meal, although raw chicken was involved in at least 3 of the 7 courses. (Memory is a bit foggy...the rice wine was good too!)
I wouldn't even eat my own raw chicken let alone that junk from the markets. It's something to do with the texture. lol

You can find raw almost-anything in Japan...beef, fish, chicken, and even horse. They're quite careful about food handling over there, thank goodness.

I think the BC Health folks might have a problem with some of those dishes showing up on a restaurant menu on this side of the ocean!
Yeah. I think it's a thing about pride in craftsmanship with the Japanese. They seem to be offended if you don't enjoy a meal. If you ever got sick from their meal, they'd prolly quit cooking and go ruru (or however it's spelt). I don't think they do the seppuku thing anymore. lol

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Makazushi is what they call the sushi rolled in seaweed. The ingredients layered in a bowl is chirashizushi. They have other names for different styles but those are the ones I know about. I'm too lazy to make sushi so I make chirashizushi. lol
I love nori. I eat it like a snack sometimes. Tough to get here so I usually get dulse.
I'll pass on the rotting beans. I'm usually not fond of smelly things because they usually taste like they smell. lol

I wouldn't even eat my own raw chicken let alone that junk from the markets. It's something to do with the texture. lol

Yeah. I think it's a thing about pride in craftsmanship with the Japanese. They seem to be offended if you don't enjoy a meal. If you ever got sick from their meal, they'd prolly quit cooking and go ruru (or however it's spelt). I don't think they do the seppuku thing anymore. lol

Like their meats, seppuku is pretty rare! I think the last case of it was in the 80s or somewhere around that time. :lol:

Their version of KFC is called Chicken Karaage...but it's good! (and cooked too!)
I ate pretty much exclusively Japanese food for 6 years straight...nice experience. I was able to travel all over the country and eat regional & seasonal favourites. Probably saved my life, as I modified my eating habits from the American-style diet I had previously. Now it's hard to sit down to a meal with only 2 or 3 things on the plate. Good thing my better half is Japanese, eh? I do the "gaijin" cooking, she does the Asian stuff.

Being as how this thread is about McDs and ants, I can say that I rarely ran across a "questionable" eating place in Japan...they still have tons of Mom & Pop eateries, and they do take pride in what they do. Best places to eat in Japan? Small neighborhood eateries...cheap, great, and fresh.

They have lots of McDs too, but who cares? Not me.

Lulu or ruru? Here's the trick...superimpose an "L" on top of an "R" (liked a sharply-rolled "L", and you have it). At reast, I sink zat's ze way...Like the old joke goes, "Is that "L" as in Rome, or "R" as in London?" :smile:

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Try Googling "acceptable level of insect parts and rat droppings" with
respect to mass produced and restaurant food. The FDA is a wealth of
information on the topic.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC

Will do that, but it reminds me of the numbers I read once on the "acceptable levels" of rodent droppings for packaged raisins. Gee, I would have thought that some kind of "zero tolerance" policy would be the best way to go.

Raising one's own food is starting to sound better all the time. Eating out is sounding worse by the minute.

In BC, they used to show a video during FoodSafe training (probably still do) and it showed a renactment of an outbreak of food poisoning on a CN cross-Canada train. Seems the chef had a bad cold one day, and was sneezing and coughing and using a kitchen towel to "mop up" the mucus. He decided to pre-cook the roast beef for the night and then take a nap so he'd be feeling better when it came time to complete the dinner. He left the roast beef on a counter covered with...you guessed it - one of the kitchen towels! I can't remember if anyone actually died from it, but the train had to make an unscheduled stop to have many of the passengers treated for food poisoning at a hospital.

You never know what goes on "behind the scenes" and it's probably better that you don't!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Speaking of rat droppings makes me think of some old work mates of mine who were involved in the survey for the Yellowhead Hwy. back in the 50s (those good years) and were staying in the old hotel in Blue River and eating in the restaurant there and having lunches packed. Well, apparently there was a barrel of raisin pie filling kept in the basement (want me to continue?) Anyway the boys opened their lunch buckets one day and found some tarts, which most of the younger crew members gobbled down with zest. An older member took out his pocket knife and flipped the lid off the tart and started flicking the "raisins" and looking a little concerned. Finally he said "boys, you just been eating mouse sh*t". I guess the boys were a little green for the rest of the day.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Speaking of rat droppings makes me think of some old work mates of mine who were involved in the survey for the Yellowhead Hwy. back in the 50s (those good years) and were staying in the old hotel in Blue River and eating in the restaurant there and having lunches packed. Well, apparently there was a barrel of raisin pie filling kept in the basement (want me to continue?) Anyway the boys opened their lunch buckets one day and found some tarts, which most of the younger crew members gobbled down with zest. An older member took out his pocket knife and flipped the lid off the tart and started flicking the "raisins" and looking a little concerned. Finally he said "boys, you just been eating mouse sh*t". I guess the boys were a little green for the rest of the day.

Whoo, I can learn at least 4 lessons from that one...

1. Keep the raisin pie filling barrel tightly sealed at all times
2. Always carry a handy pocket knife
3. Check food for mouse turds before eating
4. The 50s were still better in many (other) ways

:lol::lol::lol:

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Whoo, I can learn at least 4 lessons from that one...

1. Keep the raisin pie filling barrel tightly sealed at all times
2. Always carry a handy pocket knife
3. Check food for mouse turds before eating
4. The 50s were still better in many (other) ways

:lol::lol::lol:

Oh, and no. 5: Immune systems were much stronger back in the 50s!