mcdonalds antics

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
RAISINS, NATURAL & GOLDENMold
(MPM-V76)Average of 10 subsamples is 5% or more, by count, moldy raisins Sand and Grit
(MPM-V76)Average of 40 mg or more of sand and grit per 100 grams of natural or golden bleached raisins
DEFECT SOURCE: Mold - post harvest and/or processing infection, Sand - post harvest contamination
SIGNIFICANCE: Aesthetic

RAISINS, GOLDENInsects and insect eggs
(AOAC 969.42 & MPM-V76)10 or more whole or equivalent insects and 35 Drosophila eggs per 8 oz.
DEFECT SOURCE: Post harvest and/or processing infestation

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
RAISINS, NATURAL & GOLDENMold
(MPM-V76)Average of 10 subsamples is 5% or more, by count, moldy raisins Sand and Grit
(MPM-V76)Average of 40 mg or more of sand and grit per 100 grams of natural or golden bleached raisins
DEFECT SOURCE: Mold - post harvest and/or processing infection, Sand - post harvest contamination

RAISINS, GOLDENInsects and insect eggs
(AOAC 969.42 & MPM-V76)10 or more whole or equivalent insects and 35 Drosophila eggs per 8 oz.
DEFECT SOURCE: Post harvest and/or processing infestation

1. I wonder if sand/grit qualifies as extra fibre?
2. Almost 3 dozen eggs per 8 oz. - although I guess Drosophila isn't a chicken, is it?
:lol:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I got those in a piece of halibut once. The word got around town. :D
I'll eat halibut I'm not that crazy about it.

Ants are almost entirely proteins and they are fastidious for cleanliness.

Mmmmn....mmmmn good.. chocolate covered ants. Crunchy and sweet. Grasshoppers aren't bad either. :smile::smile:

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Here's the Wikipedia summary of the above link: The Food Defect Action Levels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This would be a fail.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
News Toronto & GTA
Ants found in burritos under investigation
By JENNY YUEN
Last Updated: 5th January 2010, 10:41am
StoryVideoEmail Story Print Size A A A Report Typo Share with:
Facebook Digg Del.icio.us Google Stumble Upon Newsvine Reddit Technorati Feed Me Yahoo Simpy Squidoo Spurl Blogmarks Netvouz Scuttle Sitejot + What are these?
Click here to watch the video
A Markham man says he found about 50 ants in his McDonald's breakfast burrito.
Play Video Ants have been known to ruin picnics, but the last place you'd expect to find them is in your fast food.
To Tommy Lam, the "Golden Arches" have become a lot more tarnished, after he found at least 50 dead ants in his McDonald's breakfast burrito on Saturday. But so far, he hasn't heard an apology.
"This whole ordeal is mind-boggling," Lam, 28, said yesterday.
"I get sick thinking of what happened."
Lee and his girlfriend stopped by the busy fast-food restaurant at Markham Rd. and Denison St. on their way to work at his business, the Jewellery Box.
After waiting 15 minutes in line, the couple said they ordered four pita sandwiches to go. It wasn't until they opened the paper wrapping did they discover dozens of ants inside and outside their burritos.
While Lam admits while he hasn't fallen ill to ingesting several bites of the ant-laced burrito, it's protein that's unwanted.
"When I think of it, it grosses me out," he said. "Just bringing back the bad memories.
"Fifty ants is the minimum, but I think it was closer to 80 or 90."
Lam said the York Region Health Agency took a sample of the ant-infested burrito and sent it off for inspection.
McDonald's Canada, for its part, said it's still investigating the cause of the insects.
"We immediately began a thorough investigation, which has been unable to confirm the customer's allegation," wrote McDonald's Restaurants of Canada spokesman Stephanie Sorensen in an e-mail statement.
Ants found in burritos under investigation | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
It doesn't really surprise me that this fellow was unfortunate enough to find ants in his food at a McDonald's restaurant as it can happen at any fast food joint.

I myself have not set foot inside a McDonald's for many years now. I do eat fast food on average twice a week, but not at McDonald's. I frequent Burger King and Harvey's. McDonald's does not want my business, so I don't eat there. McDonald's restaurants here in Montreal have French only menus inside their establishments, and as I can't read the menus, I have no choice but to dine at Burger King or Harvey's where they do display English menus. Given the fact that McDonald's caters only to the French speaking population living in Quebec, then those of us in Quebec who speak English (some 800,000 plus), will surely not dine at an establishment that practices and supports discrimination towards a huge segment of the population.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I have not read all the posts on this thread so here's a question and apologize if it has been asked already: given all the bad news about fast food places, do any of you still eat at those joints?

I ate at a MCDonald's for breakfast about a month ago and hope to God that it is the last time I ever do.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I have not read all the posts on this thread so here's a question and apologize if it has been asked already: given all the bad news about fast food places, do any of you still eat at those joints?

I ate at a MCDonald's for breakfast about a month ago and hope to God that it is the last time I ever do.

I can't remember the last time I've been in a fast food joint, its been so long.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
For reasons beyond my control I had to eat breakfast at McDonald's about a month ago - the **** was so bad it left me feeling bloated. Honest, I just cannot understand how anyone can eat that sh!t since it is so bad and so expensive.