Liberals promise to control pandemic, fight climate change and rebuild economy in throne speech

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I do try, but Covid, man.

I'm old enough and from far enough back in the sticks that I can remember using a map to plan long trips by gas station availability/placement. I've actually seen signs that said "Last Gas For 200 Miles" in real life.
You must still do that in parts of B.C.

Reactions: taxslave

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Actually it is surprising how many charging stations in places like Cameltoe and Moose Knuckle , you should get out of the big city more .
This story is now antidotal as it’s about two years old, but the one guy I know well that owns a Tesla model three had to buy it in Calgary (City of about 1 million people) & Drive it home to Regina City of about 250,000 people). Calgary is the closest Tesla dealership to Regina Saskatchewan

I can drive from Regina Saskatchewan to Calgary Alberta in under eight hours including fuel stops and P breaks, and it took the Tesla THREE DAYS to do the same thing. That’s with the available charging stations at the time, & assuming he would find them enroute so leaving Calgary with 2/3rds of a charge.

Lots of time spent at hotels trying to charge the car using 110 V power…. to get a couple of hours down the road to park for another 12 to 15 hours charging to try and get another couple hours down the road and then repeating. I’m sure it’s better now after 20 months of Covid, but that’s what the situation was a little over two years ago.

don’t get me wrong, as this guy traded his Japanese supercar for a Tesla model three and he absolutely loves this car…. but it’s just a really sharp looking fast commuter and not priced for the average person. he charges it at home overnight and then commutes about 15 miles to work where he plugs it in… then he can drive at lunchtime, make a stop or two after work and drive home and plug it in again. it is very cool and it’s got acceleration like nobody’s business (!!!) but he’s not taking it on a vacation or even to the next major city (Saskatoon…. About a quarter million people population)… at least not in the winter with short days and the need for heat in the vehicle.

Reactions: taxslave and Mowich

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
This story is now antidotal as it’s about two years old, but the one guy I know well that owns a Tesla model three had to buy it in Calgary (City of about 1 million people) & Drive it home to Regina City of about 250,000 people). Calgary is the closest Tesla dealership to Regina Saskatchewan

I can drive from Regina Saskatchewan to Calgary Alberta in under eight hours including fuel stops and P breaks, and it took the Tesla THREE DAYS to do the same thing. That’s with the available charging stations at the time, & assuming he would find them enroute so leaving Calgary with 2/3rds of a charge.

Lots of time spent at hotels trying to charge the car using 110 V power…. to get a couple of hours down the road to park for another 12 to 15 hours charging to try and get another couple hours down the road and then repeating. I’m sure it’s better now after 20 months of Covid, but that’s what the situation was a little over two years ago.

don’t get me wrong, as this guy traded his Japanese supercar for a Tesla model three and he absolutely loves this car…. but it’s just a really sharp looking fast commuter and not priced for the average person. he charges it at home overnight and then commutes about 15 miles to work where he plugs it in… then he can drive at lunchtime, make a stop or two after work and drive home and plug it in again. it is very cool and it’s got acceleration like nobody’s business (!!!) but he’s not taking it on a vacation or even to the next major city (Saskatoon…. About a quarter million people population)… at least not in the winter with short days and the need for heat in the vehicle.
Sounds right , more and more charging stations are popping up in towns along most highways and at rest stops out here in lalaland . Hope population about five thousand has a parking lot with about fifteen Tesla stations , and it is well used .
One can get from the lower mainland to Okanagan with electric easily enough now . But still an EVs best use is as commuter car , and most owners I know have other transportation available .

Reactions: Mowich and taxslave

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Our criminal Climate change minister is about to decree that a certain percentage of sales must be electric and 100% electric by 2030. Used gas vehicles are about to get really expensive.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I read earlier this morning that Saskatchewan (population about 1.2 million now) is up to 611 registered (the only auto insurance company is Saskatchewan Gov’t Insurance) EV’s now.

• Haha

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I read earlier this morning that Saskatchewan (population about 1.2 million now) is up to 611 registered (the only auto insurance company is Saskatchewan Gov’t Insurance) EV’s now.
They are only useful in Regina and possibly Saskatoon so is about what would be expected .

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
No you wouldn't.
I certainly would not live in a city by choice, but if circumstances dictated I would. I would still have a truck for going places.
For the driving we do, we simply cannot justify the cost of an electric car. Just not in the Tesla tax bracket, and the cheap ones are about 3 times the cost of their gas counterparts.