Kids These Days.

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario
If they're ugly, you hit em twice as hard.
If your kid is ugly, who's fault is that?

I remeember my dad hitting me once, I deserved it. I was always just a little bit afraid of him, or maybe it was respect for my elders. For some reason my kids and grandkids are a little leery of me too it seems. I just have to give them that look when they are getting out of hand and they stop. With my wife or their mothers they tend to push it a lot further.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
How does this square with the fact that corporal punishment is virtually unknown, and certainly not even an issue for debate, in most Asian societies, notably China and Japan, and yet they somehow manage to produce remarkably orderly and disciplined adult populations?

The same is true of those Christian sects that practice strict non-violence, including no corporal punishment.

Is there not a risk of corporal punishment teaching kids that one has the right to rule whomever one can beat up?
Nope, Properly measured corrective discipline doesn't actually teach kids that you solve problems with violence. If you beat on your kid out of frustration and anger then yeah, all you're doing is teaching your kid(s) the wrong lesson.

But those of us who were brought up in "go to your room and think about what you did before we come in" families, that was actually parent code for, "give us time to cool down so that what you get is measured corrective discipline and not a whoopin' out of frustration."
I had the ol' wooden spoon. I knew from a young age that if that spoon came out, I was getting one lick for whatever it was I did wrong and one lick for every year of age I was. Crap like being grounded is pointless. If the kid says fuck it and does whatever anyway, what are you gonna do, ground them again?
It's as stupid a punishment as suspending students for three days for skipping school. "I didn't go to school yesterday and now they won't let me go to school for three more days? Wow, that sure straightened me up," said no kid ever that got suspended for skipping school.

Most of the "imaginative" methods of punishment simply reinforce the idea that there's no real consequences for their actions. They'll just get a time-out or something equally lame. And then they reach adulthood and "boom" they can't figure out why they're not just getting a time out. And they usually react pretty badly. To be more accurate, they act like spoiled little children.

Reactions: 55Mercury

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Best thing my mom ever did for me was boot me out when I was 17.
My dad did the same thing when I finished high school. The "bastard" had also charged me rent for the previous two years (I was working part time and I wasn't going to be a mooch, he said). Well, the reason I put bastard in quotes is when it was time for me to move out, he handed me a cheque for all the rent I paid him, plus the daily compound interest it had accrued, to help with first and last months rent on my new place and getting some new furnishings for it.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
If you hit a teacher in my country up until 1987 you would have got several strikes with a cane on your bare backside by the headmaster and spent the rest of the day in pain.