It's Climate Change I tell'ya!! IT'S CLIMATE CHANGE!!

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I watched a program - can't remember if it was W5 or some other program on TV that covered a story about winter tires vs all season. Some insurance people were interviewed and they said that like Quebec, the insurance industry was looking into insurance coverage on vehicles that were in accidents in the winter and if winter tires weren't on the vehicle, they would not honor the claim.

Now, I don't know if any insurance company has actually made that a policy, but it would likely be a good one. I know that in Quebec, winter tires are mandatory. Are there other provinces that have the same policies? I haven't heard anyone mentioning it.

I've spoken to some of my friends and they insist that all season are just as good as having winter tires but the people interviewed on the TV program said that is not true at all and that winter tires are always the better option.

FYI

Reactions: Taxslave2

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
well in bc most of the roads outside of the lower mainland require winter rated tires (snowflake). Some all seasons are winter rated, but not all. If you crash and you don't have snow rated icbc can consider refusing the claim or paying out and then charging you back because you were driving 'illegally' if you will.

Dedicated winter tires tend to be the best - the rubber is softer, which is why you can't use them in the summer. They'd wear out much too fast. But you need softer rubber in teh winter when cold temps can cause the rubber to be harder than it would be normally. I notice the biggest difference on ice rather than snow - dedicated winters tend to do noticeably better on ice.

I've got both on my vehicles right now, some great all seasons on the truck and dedicated high end winters on the car. The winters do much better on ice. The truck does better in snow (deeper snow especailly), even in 2 wheel drive where the more aggressive tread can do it's job and it matters less if the rubber is softer.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
I agree but just sayin
Well i'm not expert on the terms, but i've always called at's "All Terrains". I just make sure the tires i select have the mountain and snowflake :) But like i said the difference between that and a good snow tire seems to be performance on ice.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Well i'm not expert on the terms, but i've always called at's "All Terrains". I just make sure the tires i select have the mountain and snowflake :) But like i said the difference between that and a good snow tire seems to be performance on ice.
I've seen some really bad looking grips with a snowflake and mountains on them AT does mean all terrain, but all weather does not mean all terrain

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
I've seen some really bad looking grips with a snowflake and mountains on them AT does mean all terrain, but all weather does not mean all terrain
There's bad tires of every type. And i was responding to the comment that all weather tires were 'at's'. Some at's are great in cold snowy weather and some are not. I pick ones that are. But - they're still not as good as dedicated winter tires, and that really is true on ice more than anything.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
There's bad tires of every type. And i was responding to the comment that all weather tires were 'at's'. Some at's are great in cold snowy weather and some are not. I pick ones that are. But - they're still not as good as dedicated winter tires, and that really is true on ice more than anything.
I guess you shoulda quoted Pete who actually wrote it in a post

Reactions: petros

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
well in bc most of the roads outside of the lower mainland require winter rated tires (snowflake). Some all seasons are winter rated, but not all. If you crash and you don't have snow rated icbc can consider refusing the claim or paying out and then charging you back because you were driving 'illegally' if you will.

Dedicated winter tires tend to be the best - the rubber is softer, which is why you can't use them in the summer. They'd wear out much too fast. But you need softer rubber in teh winter when cold temps can cause the rubber to be harder than it would be normally. I notice the biggest difference on ice rather than snow - dedicated winters tend to do noticeably better on ice.

I've got both on my vehicles right now, some great all seasons on the truck and dedicated high end winters on the car. The winters do much better on ice. The truck does better in snow (deeper snow especailly), even in 2 wheel drive where the more aggressive tread can do it's job and it matters less if the rubber is softer.
We have a truck as well and it's good in snow too, not so much on ice. Depending on winter driving conditions, we use the most appropriate vehicle. My car has both auto & manual which helps in certain driving situations, that's for sure.

Reactions: The_Foxer

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
We have a truck as well and it's good in snow too, not so much on ice. Depending on winter driving conditions, we use the most appropriate vehicle. My car has both auto & manual which helps in certain driving situations, that's for sure.
Sure - you make the choice of vehicle based on what conditions are'. That's what i do as well. If i only had one vehicle i'd go with dedicated winters during the winter months but i get not everyone can afford that - but i see a lot of people with basically summer tires still trying to get around in the winter.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
You choose to live there . Yikes good luck .
I’d like to like here some day:
1670415290390.jpeg
But instead we currently live in this “Semi-Arid” intercontinental location, but again, it’s at least it’s still a dry cold:
1670415438669.jpeg
…& it’s suppose to get windy once the sun comes up with that convection heating.

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario
Sure - you make the choice of vehicle based on what conditions are'. That's what i do as well. If i only had one vehicle i'd go with dedicated winters during the winter months but i get not everyone can afford that - but i see a lot of people with basically summer tires still trying to get around in the winter.
The thing is, winter tires cost little more. The initial cost of extra wheels is about it. You are still just driving on either winter or summer tires and wearing them out for 6 months each. Therefore, they last twice as long. I am still using my 2 sets of tires from 2015. Car just turned 100,000 km.....Next year I will likely have to replace them.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
The thing is, winter tires cost little more. The initial cost of extra wheels is about it. You are still just driving on either winter or summer tires and wearing them out for 6 months each. Therefore, they last twice as long. I am still using my 2 sets of tires from 2015. Car just turned 100,000 km.....Next year I will likely have to replace them.
Sure, and logically that makes sense but it still does involve a relatively hefty up front cost of buying two sets of tires and if you really want to do it right and make it more convenient extra rims as well. Sure - no big deal for me or you but for a lot of people right now they can't afford to replace the near-bald tires they have on the car currently, never mind putting up the cash for two sets.

Mind you i guess it has to do with priorities as well. Maybe a few less starbucks coffees etc and they could at least afford the tires, but everyone thinks they're bullet proof in the winter, till they're not.