It's Climate Change I tell'ya!! IT'S CLIMATE CHANGE!!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Modelling from 20 years ago isnt correlating with reality.

Minus 39 Arctic highs ARE NOT HOTTER than minus fucking 40.

They both kill in a matter of minutes. One ir 2 seconds give or take.

Where are the hot Arctic vortices? Vortexas? Vorizona? Vormico?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
New report details effects of changing Arctic climate
Author of the article:Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Emily Blake
Published Dec 13, 2022 • 2 minute read

YELLOWKNIFE — A new report details how widespread changes in the Arctic, from warming air temperatures to sea-ice loss, have affected animals, plants and people living there.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration released its latest annual Arctic report card Tuesday, complied by more than 100 experts from 11 countries. It provides an update on vital signs in the region and includes new chapters on precipitation, the impacts of rapid climate change on Indigenous communities and the need for more research on pollinators.

The report reinforces long-term trends but also noted regional differences. Among its major findings were that Arctic surface air temperatures between October 2021 and September 2022 were the sixth warmest on record since 1900, and conditions were wetter than normal, with precipitation increasing significantly since the 1950s. The report also noted lower-than-average sea-ice coverage, increased ocean plankton blooms and the 25th consecutive year of Greenland ice sheet loss.

“Few parts of the world demonstrate such extreme seasonal shifts in temperature, land and ocean cover, ecological processes, and wildlife movement and behaviour as the Arctic,” said the report.

“These extreme shifts across the annual cycle are a source of the Arctic region’s heightened sensitivity to climate changes and to climate-related disturbances.”

Lawrence Mudryk, a scientist with Environment and Climate Change Canada, was the lead author of the chapter on terrestrial snow cover. He said, overall, the report shows the seasons are shifting in the Arctic and there have been several disturbances due to, or worsened by, climate change, such as storms and extreme weather.

“It sometimes gets a little overwhelming to hear all these reports about bad news and how climate change is causing disruptions and going to lead to bad consequences across the globe,” he said. “But I think it’s important to also acknowledge that it’s something that we can take control of and do something about still.”

Mudryk wrote in his chapter that June Arctic snow cover was the second-lowest in the 56-year record in North America and third-lowest in Eurasia because of early snow melt. He said that’s part of a long-term trend since at least 2008.

“There’s subsequent effects on soil moisture, the timing of vegetation growth and subsequent fire risk, even. It also affects the timing of essentially when winter ends and summer starts,” he said. “Also, a big thing is that this snow reflects a lot of sunlight, so it controls the energy that comes in the springtime into the Arctic.”

Syd Canning, another scientist with Environment and Climate Change Canada, contributed to an essay on Arctic pollinators. It highlights a significant knowledge gap on long-term pollinator trends in the Arctic and how they’re being affected by rapid climate change.

“Pollinators, I think, more and more are being recognized as being really important in both general ecosystems and in sort of human food supply,” Canning said. “In the Arctic, pollinators are really important in creating a good berry supply, which is good for animals, birds, people and the whole Arctic ecosystem.”
If it starts raining in the Arctic in January we're fucked but it aint gonna happen.

Ask me why.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
I watched a program - can't remember if it was W5 or some other program on TV that covered a story about winter tires vs all season. Some insurance people were interviewed and they said that like Quebec, the insurance industry was looking into insurance coverage on vehicles that were in accidents in the winter and if winter tires weren't on the vehicle, they would not honor the claim.

Now, I don't know if any insurance company has actually made that a policy, but it would likely be a good one. I know that in Quebec, winter tires are mandatory. Are there other provinces that have the same policies? I haven't heard anyone mentioning it.

I've spoken to some of my friends and they insist that all season are just as good as having winter tires but the people interviewed on the TV program said that is not true at all and that winter tires are always the better option.

FYI
I could never figure out why winter isn’t part of all season, but without a snowflake all season tires are not acceptable in snow. Kinda false advertising.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I could never figure out why winter isn’t part of all season, but without a snowflake all season tires are not acceptable in snow. Kinda false advertising.
Summer is a season and they are great all season long. Snow tires are all season too. All snow seasons which is 3 of them.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I watched a program - can't remember if it was W5 or some other program on TV that covered a story about winter tires vs all season. Some insurance people were interviewed and they said that like Quebec, the insurance industry was looking into insurance coverage on vehicles that were in accidents in the winter and if winter tires weren't on the vehicle, they would not honor the claim.

Now, I don't know if any insurance company has actually made that a policy, but it would likely be a good one. I know that in Quebec, winter tires are mandatory. Are there other provinces that have the same policies? I haven't heard anyone mentioning it.

I've spoken to some of my friends and they insist that all season are just as good as having winter tires but the people interviewed on the TV program said that is not true at all and that winter tires are always the better option.

FYI
In Ontario they will offer you discounts on your insurance if you have winter tires. You show your receipt and they give deduction. I am sure if you get in an accident in the winter and don't have them on would constitute fraud and void their responsibilities.

I don't do winter tires. The above insurance discount does not outway the costs. And the claim that all seasons are just as good is false. However, that doesn't mean they can't be driven on in the winter with success. I avoid driving in outright blizzards. And if the roads are wet or icy or have some snow I drive more carefully and slower. I see plenty of people driving like they do in the summer in the same conditions. I suspect a good number of them have winter tires and have the mistaken belief that their stopping distance is the same with winter tires on snow & ice than all seasons on dry pavement in the summer. It's not. In the winter a good number of the cars you see in the ditch are the 4 wheel drive cars who got cocky and went too fast for the conditions. So for me, I would still drive roughly the same with winter tires anyways so there is no benefit to offset the costs. I have avoided any winter accident since I was done being a stupid teenager (about 40 years).

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Summer is a season and they are great all season long. Snow tires are all season too. All snow seasons which is 3 of them.
Snow is only one season here and all season tires do not qualify as snow tires to the BC government. My first wife even got a ticket for that once.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Snow is only one season here and all season tires do not qualify as snow tires to the BC government. My first wife even got a ticket for that once.
They changed that a little while ago - if the all season tire has a snowflake on it (and not all do) then it's allowed for the purposes of our 'snow tire' laws

The funny part is those laws apply everywhere but they waived them for the lower mainland to avoid voter blowback. What could go wrong?

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
They changed that a little while ago - if the all season tire has a snowflake on it (and not all do) then it's allowed for the purposes of our 'snow tire' laws

The funny part is those laws apply everywhere but they waived them for the lower mainland to avoid voter blowback. What could go wrong?
Thats because Vancouver and Victoria are the only parts of the province that believe that globull warming will save them. Note that when it snows in Victoria, they have to get the army to dig them out. Going back some years, Victoria had a snow removal budget of $50000. That lasted about a day in the big snow.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
There is a big fat problem with electric vehicles and infrastructure. They are HEAVY.

How much does a Tesla weigh compared to a regular car?

Earlier, we mentioned that the average 'normal' car weighs around 3000 lbs (1,360 kgs). However, if we take the average weight of the Tesla models discussed above, we get 4,602 lbs (2,087 kgs). That's a whopping 53% increase in weight. The weight difference is due to Tesla's battery pack, 1,200 lbs.

Calling out the general public for things you won’t do simply doesn’t make the cut.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Calling out the general public for things you won’t do simply doesn’t make the cut.
The likely version: "calling out the general public for things you can't do for they same reasons they cant simply doesnt make the cut". Things such as type of vehicle and availability, costs, running time/range, infrastructure, no fleet services, resale value etc etc etc

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Satellite launched to map the world's oceans, lakes, rivers
Author of the article:Associated Press
Associated Press
Marcia Dunn
Published Dec 16, 2022 • 2 minute read

A U.S.-French satellite that will map almost all of the world’s oceans, lakes and rivers rocketed into orbit Friday.

The predawn launch aboard a SpaceX rocket from Vandenberg Space Force Base in California capped a highly successful year for NASA.

Nicknamed SWOT — short for Surface Water and Ocean Topography — the satellite is needed more than ever as climate change worsens droughts, flooding and coastal erosion, according to scientists. Cheers erupted at control centres in California and France as the spacecraft started its mission.

“It is a pivotal moment, and I’m very excited about it,” said NASA program manager Nadya Vinogradova-Shiffer. “We’re going to see Earth’s water like we’ve never before.”

About the size of a SUV, the satellite will measure the height of water on more than 90% of Earth’s surface, allowing scientists to track the flow and identify potential high-risk areas. It will also survey millions of lakes as well as 2.1 million kilometres of rivers, from headwater to mouth.

The satellite will shoot radar pulses at Earth, with the signals bouncing back to be received by a pair of antennas, one on each end of a 33-foot (10-metre) boom.

It should be able to make out currents and eddies less than 21 kilometres across, as well as areas of the ocean where water masses of varying temperatures merge.

NASA’s current fleet of nearly 30 Earth-observing satellites cannot make out such slight features. And while these older satellites can map the extent of lakes and rivers, their measurements are not as detailed, said the University of North Carolina’s Tamlin Pavelsky, who is part of the mission.

Perhaps most importantly, the satellite will reveal the location and speed of rising sea levels and the shift of coastlines, key to saving lives and property. It will cover the globe between the Arctic and Antarctica at least once every three weeks, as it orbits more than 890 kilometres high. The mission is expected to last three years.

Laurie Leshin, the director of NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, noted that while the agency is known for its Mars rovers and space telescopes, “this is the planet we care most about.”

“We’ve got a lot of eyes on Earth,” with even more globe-surveying missions planned in the next few years, she added.

NASA and the French Space Agency collaborated on the $1.2 billion SWOT project — some 20 years in the making — with Britain and Canada chipping in.

Already recycled, the first-stage booster returned to Vandenberg eight minutes after liftoff to fly again one day. When the double sonic booms sounded, “Everybody jumped out of their skin, and it was exhilarating. What a morning,” said Taryn Tomlinson, an Earth science director at the Canadian Space Agency.

It’s the latest milestone this year for NASA. Among the other highlights: glamour shots of the universe from the new Webb Space Telescope; the Dart spacecraft’s dead-on slam into an asteroid in the first planetary defense test; and the Orion capsule’s recent return from the moon following a test flight.

— The Associated Press Health and Science Department receives support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Science and Educational Media Group. The AP is solely responsible for all content.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Lived in Vancouver for 2-1/2 years, one of which they had a wicked snow storm - it was New Years Eve and my g/f and I were all "decked out" for the evening. Our dresses were ruined by the end of the night simply because the snow was so deep and nothing, even snow plows, were moving that night. We had to spend the night in a hotel because we couldn't access her vehicle. What a night that was!!

Also, a few years later, my hubby & I were on our way back from touring the U.S. (our honeymoon) and we came up through Blaine (??), Washington into B.C. (It was over 45 years ago so I might be wrong about Blaine). Anyway, when we left Manitoba to go on our trip, it was nice out, no snow. We did know that we'd need snow tires but thought we'd purchase them when we got back from our trip.

Oops, got to B.C. and yep, it snowed and the roads were horrible!! We were staying at my g/f parents home in North Van so encountered some hills. We had made arrangements to get our snow tires on and were on our way to the tire shop. We were going downhill and people were spinning and sliding trying to get up the hill with no success.

Apparently, a taxi cab decided that he had the momentum so went around all the cars, directly toward us! We were heading for a head on collision due to this idiot. My hubby cranked the wheel to the right and we obviously had "someone" watching out for us because we hit a driveway that we did not know was there! There was a retaining wall with lots of bushes/plants so one couldn't see the driveway without really looking. We thought it was better for us to hit the retaining wall rather than the taxi cab. To this day, I do not know how we got so lucky & I count my blessings!

For that trip, it was the second time we narrowly escaped danger. The first time was on the interstate in California where we were almost wiped out by an 18 wheeler due to ice but that's another story.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Its snowing hard there right now. In the 80s and 90s it never snowed enough to wrorry about. It was easy believe the global warming hype but Coastal weather has reverted and it now snows hard like it did in the decades prior.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Another snowy day for the B.C. south coast.

Time span: Tonight to Tuesday.

Locations: Metro Vancouver, Greater Victoria, Malahat Highway - Goldstream to Mill Bay, Fraser Valley, Sunshine Coast - Gibsons to Earls Cove, Southern Gulf Islands, East Vancouver Island - Duncan to Nanaimo, East Vancouver Island - Nanoose Bay to Fanny Bay, West Vancouver Island, and Inland Vancouver Island.

Snowfall accumulations: 10 to 15 cm, and possibly near 20 cm for Victoria, Malahat Highway, Southern Gulf Islands, Lake Cowichan, Port Renfrew, and East Vancouver Island from Duncan to Fanny Bay.

Remarks: A low pressure system will land in the Washington State tonight. The associated front will brush through the very southern part of British Columbia giving another round of snow starting late this evening.

Due to outflow winds, heavier snow is expected for Victoria, Malahat Highway, Southern Gulf Islands, Lake Cowichan, Port Renfrew, and East Vancouver Island from Duncan to Fanny Bay.

Snow will taper off late Tuesday morning on Vancouver Island and Tuesday afternoon on the mainland side.

Surfaces such as highways, roads, walkways and parking lots may become difficult to navigate due to accumulating snow.

Be prepared to adjust your driving with changing road conditions.

EXTREME