It's Climate Change I tell'ya!! IT'S CLIMATE CHANGE!!

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022

"Adapt" to? You mean... not whine about or virtue signal by pretending to care about our emissions which are a pittance worldwide but actually doing nothing substantial? ADAPT? That ... that would mean actually taking reasonable steps to mitigate an issue we know will happen INSTEAD of complaining about it!

Actually accepting there will be more serious weather events and like, building stronger homes, putting in air conditioning and beefing up our infrastructure?

Is that really an option? It sounds crazy.... who are these lunatics? Pffff - when has 'adaption' ever allowed a species to survive before?

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I hear you. In Saskatchewan about 400 years ago there was an exceptionally long pronounced drought like nothing we’ve seen (including the dirty 30’s) in living memory. We wouldn’t know about it except for tree rings in the cypress hills area of the province. No first-hand observations or accurate records from that timeframe either other than these tree rings.

50 years ago I don’t remember moose wandering around in the numbers they are now out on the prairies. Were they then? Not that I remember….and maybe it’s because of climate change and maybe it’s because I don’t remember.

For a stretch from the late 60s to the late 70s in Saskatchewan we had a shit load of tornadoes in and around Regina that did much damage….& none have hit the city since (Phew!). Is this climate change (for the good?) or is this part of a bigger cycle of a longer duration and I’m only seeing a little slice of it?

I watched a wolf cross the TransCanada Highway in front of us in a blizzard in about 1977 and have not seen another one on the Prairie ever since. Is that due to climate change or overhunting or was that just a freak occurrence? I’ve no idea.

I remember long hot summers in the late 70s through the 80s…. hotter than what we have now….& yet every year now is the hottest year on record. knowing that we are currently in the middle of an interglacial period….is this part of some bigger cycle (?) and/or am I remembering the 80s for heat and summer incorrectly compared to today’s numbers (?) wherever they start recording (?) to claim that this is the hottest year on record year after year after year?

I know (and could testify to this and could pass a polygraph) that the summers in the 70s and 80s were much hotter, and the winters had way more snow…but did they and where they?

Last year we had very little snow, and it was nice out by early April, and we had all kinds of tropical plants growing on our deck that got to be 5’-6’ plus tall…. and it was hot and dry compared to this year which just wasn’t anywhere near as hot…. Will the records reflect this? I have photographs of crazy stuff growing outdoors last year that where only half the size this year…but does that mean anything compared to what any official numbers state?

How large and of what duration are natural cycles that could be much longer than a human lifespan regarding the weather? Keep in mind that we are still in an interglacial timeframe….so we are still in an Ice Age right now. On that note my lunch hour is over and I’ve gotta go.

Animals have been doing weird stuff around here too, and wonder if it's changes in climate/environment or just humans pushing them.

Summers here were lots cooler and for longer than they are now. We hit max of 25 degrees in July, then August maybe 30 would happen once a week or so, maybe twice? We hit 40 only once when I was in high school, end of year, and it's not happened that way again. Now, high 20's start in June, 30's in July and over into high 30's in August. Winters had more snow, now we don't get half as much. We used to be able to dig tunnels and forts in drifted snow off a field, now there's not enough snow for kids to experience it. We get maybe one or two good storms in February. We used to get snow storms in December. Winter seems to have moved from December to February and ends about end of March/first bit of April.

November 11th we always needed heavy coats in Cadets to march to the Cenitaph. Now they don't need the coats or heavy gloves as it's too hot, if it's not raining.

We have wind, sure, it's the Tantramar Marsh, but nothing like what came off of just the bit of FIona last weekend that we felt.

They expect the Isthmus to be an issue for travel between us and NS, if we don't fix the dike system, so there's major money going into it. And it's needed; the water comes up to just below road level and any serious storm surge would flood the TCH.

I get there's natural cycles for all things, and even admit this all could be part of that. Or it may not. It makes no logical sense for this stuff to have happened in mere decades, to this extreme, and not the gradual it should be. Which is where I do think things are changing at a rate they shouldn't be. The question of "did humans do it" I avoid because the answer I have is "I don't know".

But I also think that actually trying to change how we do things, to protect the environment and actually make our habits and our world better off with us in it isn't an evil thing to do.
And you have found that climate always changes right?

Not this quick with this intensity. There's ebbs and flows, then there's progressive yearly changes that are not stable.

That's what I've been saying all along as well as the "climate scientists" who are worth their weight in gold but are "cancelled" because they don't follow the narrative.

Or maybe they are following their own 'money' being offered to them? A couple of scientists that I did look into for not agreeing with others - the 'cancelled' type as you'd call it - has their funding from questionable sources...

Unfortunately, there are the so-called "climate scientists" that aren't actually scientists that are the ones ruling the roost!!

Or maybe they are the ones doing the job and finding the patterns and you don't like them because it doesn't fit your narrative?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Animals have been doing weird stuff around here too, and wonder if it's changes in climate/environment or just humans pushing them.
Good question. Maybe both, or one or the other or neither? Behaviours change over time but over what time? I can’t answer that either.
Summers here were lots cooler and for longer than they are now. We hit max of 25 degrees in July, then August maybe 30 would happen once a week or so, maybe twice? We hit 40 only once when I was in high school, end of year, and it's not happened that way again. Now, high 20's start in June, 30's in July and over into high 30's in August. Winters had more snow, now we don't get half as much. We used to be able to dig tunnels and forts in drifted snow off a field, now there's not enough snow for kids to experience it. We get maybe one or two good storms in February. We used to get snow storms in December. Winter seems to have moved from December to February and ends about end of March/first bit of April.

November 11th we always needed heavy coats in Cadets to march to the Cenitaph. Now they don't need the coats or heavy gloves as it's too hot, if it's not raining.

We have wind, sure, it's the Tantramar Marsh, but nothing like what came off of just the bit of FIona last weekend that we felt.

They expect the Isthmus to be an issue for travel between us and NS, if we don't fix the dike system, so there's major money going into it. And it's needed; the water comes up to just below road level and any serious storm surge would flood the TCH.
Weather in Saskatchewan (intercontinental arid) has always (yeah I know, define always) been extreme. Hot summers and cold winters and eight months of the year we wonder why the hell we even live here or how we could live here… but the weather seems to have moderated from what I perceive over the last few decades, at least here. We haven’t had plagues of locust since the 70s in my neighbourhood.

it could be just how I perceiving things and I hate winter a little more each year, but the summers aren’t as hot at the winters aren’t as cold and we don’t seem to have as much snow as we did even in my lifetime (so I’m sure somebody’s gonna tell me we are breaking records on both ends of the spectrum and for precipitation).
I get there's natural cycles for all things, and even admit this all could be part of that. Or it may not. It makes no logical sense for this stuff to have happened in mere decades, to this extreme, and not the gradual it should be. Which is where I do think things are changing at a rate they shouldn't be. The question of "did humans do it" I avoid because the answer I have is "I don't know".
Yeah, that’s just it. Maybe or maybe not.
But I also think that actually trying to change how we do things, to protect the environment and actually make our habits and our world better off with us in it isn't an evil thing to do.
Lots of things we should be doing and could be doing. Don’t be pigs. Don’t litter. Respect our elders. Try not to kill each other ‘as much’ as we do. Enforce pre-election testing for psychopaths &/or sociopaths. Be civil & polite. Treat others like we want to be treated ourselves, etc…
Not this quick with this intensity. There's ebbs and flows, then there's progressive yearly changes that are not stable.
Again we are in an interglacial… A temporary warm blip in a continuing ice age. Who knows what quick or intense is? How long does it take for an Ice Age to start or stop? What duration of cycles control that (?) and do fluctuations during an interglacial always happen at a consistent slow ebb & flow? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Younger_Dryas
Again, I don’t know, but there’s some crazy geological evidence from the time frame above that I just posted the link for that suggest some pretty radical changes in a very short duration of time.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

So how long will it be before the "tough guys" start getting the civilian versions of these vehicles?

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
That's what I think. It has two main features that make it attractive. Price and refill time.
And a third, potentially. Existing vehicles can be converted at a reasonable cost.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There isnt a "used ev market". Either you are buying a new battery as a buyer or buying a new battery as a seller. They dont do the 10-15 years like an ICE. An EV pretty much needs to be scrapped after just 5 years.

Reactions: Taxslave2

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Winter is coming . My golf was cancelled tomorrow and I am glad , clubs now being put away till spring . New snow tires on order , scary .