Is this site "Canadian Enough"?

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I've had a couple of reviews from various people after I relaunched the homepage and various people mentioned that it doesn't look Canadian enough. One even said it looked like "the conservative colours". Hrmpf. I added a Canadian flag to the top menubar, but is it enough? Any suggestions on improvements in that aspect?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Maybe you could have God Save the Queen, the Maple-Leaf Forever and O Canada in French and then English play continuously in consecutive sequence in the background. if the whole background were red and the pages white, that would make for a neat Canadian flag design. Maybe put the union jack in one corner somewhere with maple leafs dangling arond it on a red background. And also have the anthems mentioned above scroll along with the music along the bottom of the screen.

Sorry, I jsut had to have some fun here. :D

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
What does Canadian look like? Alternating red-and-blue letters may get you into patent infringement stuff.

Maybe we can have pictures of lumberjacks pop up randomly on occasion. Or how about pictures of maple shacks on the main page?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Lumberjacks.... Yeah, I suppose Free Trade and the softwood lumber thing has lots of them out of work.

You had to politicize this page eh?

I could comment but then the thread would become political from here on in so I won't.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
There are too many foreigners on here that just don't understand how tolerant and accepting we are. I think they should be banned.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I don't see any beer or joints so it definitely isn't Canadian enough. The exclusion of a portrait of our national animal is the stunning proof of that claim.
Beav, even you don't hang a self portrait on your avatar. Ummm... which beaver were you talking about?

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
andem i know your the moderator and stuff and you need peoples feedback to run the site in a positive way... But if someone says this site is too conservative then that should set of alarm bells saying that fool is a retard

what matters is that canadians make up the majority of the population here

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Not even pictures of maple shacks? Have you ever been to a maple shack. Yum yum I love maple syrup on a stick.
That's an eastern thing. Out here we murder trees. BCs version of wilderness is a clear cut. And smoked salmon is our version of yummy.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Not even pictures of maple shacks? Have you ever been to a maple shack. Yum yum I love maple syrup on a stick.

Maybe we could add some more Canadian themes (as in the colours you view the site in) for the members? Its something only individual members will see, not guests, but I think its really the only thing this site needs.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
That's an eastern thing. Out here we murder trees. BCs version of wilderness is a clear cut. And smoked salmon is our version of yummy.

Mmmm.... the fresh smell of pine!

Or how a bout a picture of a big bowl of poutine!

On second thought... yuk!

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Beav, even you don't hang a self portrait on your avatar. Ummm... which beaver were you talking about?

A beaver avatar hardly would compare with a half front page portrait. Work on Andem, I will inquire after a French artist I used to smokeup with where a first class person might be had for six figures. There is nothing to be gained by frugality in this affair. Let me know how the negotiations with Andem proceed. We don't need lawyers just yet.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Out here we murder trees. BCs version of wilderness is a clear cut

they actually make a pretty penny out of tree genocide in BC. I feel bad for the ecosystem suffering there... Poor forestry practices and techniques has lead to the pine beetle outbreak

cut em all down and plant lodge poll pine, yeeehaw grandma

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I've had a couple of reviews from various people after I relaunched the homepage and various people mentioned that it doesn't look Canadian enough. One even said it looked like "the conservative colours". Hrmpf. I added a Canadian flag to the top menubar, but is it enough? Any suggestions on improvements in that aspect?
Poutine, you need to serve poutine, Peameal bacon, and have a Zamboni cruising through the threads.