Is the HOCKEY coach a pedophile?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
the 5% of coaches who have committed sexual assaults on innocent youngsters are the ones that should be monitored every step of the way via electronic media.

No.... known pedophiles should not be allowed around children. Monitoring fails. End of story. Putting video monitors on children changing, watching them in their underwear or worse, is a ridiculous idea.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
No.... known pedophiles should not be allowed around children. Monitoring fails. End of story. Putting video monitors on children changing, watching them in their underwear or worse, is a ridiculous idea.

Because then you have to watch the people who are watching, to make sure they're not doing it for the wrong reasons. And so you need to watch the people who are watching the people watching, to make sure they're not in a conspiracy...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Because then you have to watch the people who are watching, to make sure they're not doing it for the wrong reasons. And so you need to watch the people who are watching the people watching, to make sure they're not in a conspiracy...

Not just that TenPenny.

Kids deserve to be warned of the dangers that exist in the world. They deserve to be educated, and cared for. But they also deserve to be FREE. They deserve to change in some semblance of privacy. They deserve to not suffer our constant paranoia.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I am not suggesting here that 100% are to be watched, the 5% of coaches who have committed sexual assaults on innocent youngsters are the ones that should be monitored every step of the way via electronic media.

5% eh,,,,,,,I believe the Catholic Church sits at 4% and there are people screaming on here to have the Church shut down........ how come no one is suggesting the same thing for sports?

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
5% eh,,,,,,,I believe the Catholic Church sits at 4% and there are people screaming on here to have the Church shut down........ how come no one is suggesting the same thing for sports?

I have seen nothing to suggest Socrates isn't just pulling these numbers out of thin air. I think I think I know where he's coming from and I can appreciate it (he wants kids safe from the pedophiles unless I am mistaken) but inventing numbers and advocating ill-thought ideas like putting cameras in dressing rooms hurts things more than helps. Talloola posted some excellent guidelines that could applicable to EVERY situation where kids and adults interact.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
the difference is that the leaders of the church are covering it up...

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
I have seen nothing to suggest Socrates isn't just pulling these numbers out of thin air. I think I think I know where he's coming from and I can appreciate it (he wants kids safe from the pedophiles unless I am mistaken) but inventing numbers and advocating ill-thought ideas like putting cameras in dressing rooms hurts things more than helps. Talloola posted some excellent guidelines that could applicable to EVERY situation where kids and adults interact.

What have you seen wulfie with respect to the numbers of offenders?

I think 5 % is by far not an exaggerated number, needles to say that Fleury ‘extremely disappointed’ looking at convicted coach pardoned, that is a further indictment against this creep James and the system.

We live in an electronic age were surveillance is a security feature, not a hobby like some have suggested here, what is so wrong in allowing this enhanced security feature known to mankind do its job and prevent any one entering the personal territory of another human being 2’x 2‘.

No one has to sit there and monitor the cameras, Each interaction between groups using the facility would be on a microfilm video record with all interaction available for questioning in the event or when ever a complaint arises.

By following the theory that kids are afraid to speak out because they have been threatened, crap total crap. Yes Talloola has made some good suggestion, lots of posting on the walls warning kids of their territorial boundary 2’x 2‘. and that it should be reported immediately as the first sign of abuse appears.

Nothing wrong with that idea, but video capability will insure justice with out the chance of any one wrongfully accusing a Coach as well, we have to think of that side of the coin too.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Yes, I'd be happy knowing that somewhere, the city has video tape of my daughter in the dressing room, because, as we all know, there's no chance anyone will look at or abuse the video.

I'll take my chances that the coach is a pedophile who will molest her while she's in a dressing room with 15 other girls, half of whom could beat the crap out of the coach.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
If you wouldn't consent to being video monitored in doctor's offices, change rooms, or department store fitting rooms for your 'protection' I think it's absurd to think kids should be subject to such measures.

Kids don't speak out about molestation for a host of reasons. And molestation happens in a host of locations and ways.

What you're suggesting would not solve a darn thing.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
when it comes to my kids, coaches aren't the only concern either.... any parent who insists on being in the change room at all times would have my suspicions up mighty quick.

Yeah, and in more ways than one Karrie. I was a hockey parent, a swimming parent, a soccer parent and I found a lot of parents just wanted to stick their noses into almost every aspect of the kids activities. I'll bet I've listened to a dozen parents who thought their kid was the next Wayne Gretzky and the fact that the coach didn't know how to coach his child prodigy. But I suppose with this pedophilia seeming to be on the increase one has to be aware. Years ago we never even thought about the problem. But then again I've lived in fairly small communities most of my life.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Yes, I'd be happy knowing that somewhere, the city has video tape of my daughter in the dressing room, because, as we all know, there's no chance anyone will look at or abuse the video.

I'll take my chances that the coach is a pedophile who will molest her while she's in a dressing room with 15 other girls, half of whom could beat the crap out of the coach.
You got it all wrong, I never insinuated that the Coach will molest any kid in front of any one. Look. tell that to a 45 year old person who got sexually abused in what ever place of the facility and never said anything until he became 45 years old, poor souls all the once who got abused in the interim, because no one had the balls to speak.
The pedophile or the sexual predator, will not touch any one in front of other people.
But their behaviour can be monitored to insure assault of this nature does not happen. The predator uses linguistic technique to lure, takes the pray out of site and attacks with in place away from traffic in the facility. An electronic video devise will be able to provide a chronology of foot steps. We may not agree on Cameras, the fact is this has to stop assaulting young life’s is criminal.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Of course they don't do it in front of witnesses. These things are manipulators - probably the last one a community would expect to be such a monster. Charlie Manson was a sweetie too ... and Bernardo. My father-in-law was the salt of the earth to anyone who thought they knew him. Who'da thought that this minor hockey coach/little league baseball coach/boyscout leader had a side he kept to himself? Who'da guessed he'd rape his daughter? Don't ever tell me she wasn't threatened....

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
You got it all wrong, I never insinuated that the Coach will molest any kid in front of any one. Look. tell that to a 45 year old person who got sexually abused in what ever place of the facility and never said anything until he became 45 years old, poor souls all the once who got abused in the interim, because no one had the balls to speak.
The pedophile or the sexual predator, will not touch any one in front of other people.
But their behaviour can be monitored to insure assault of this nature does not happen. The predator uses linguistic technique to lure, takes the pray out of site and attacks with in place away from traffic in the facility. An electronic video devise will be able to provide a chronology of foot steps. We may not agree on Cameras, the fact is this has to stop assaulting young life’s is criminal.

your suggestion could possibly secure the dressing room,
but of course the coach or whatever person is planning
to molest a child or teenager, will then 'never' do anything
wrong within the walls of that dressing room, so he will then
plan 'where' he will do his 'dirty deeds', and lure the
child to that area with any number of stories which seem
valid to the child/teenager.

There is big problem 'because' the child/teenager will not
say anything, but think of the numerous stories the
molester can drum up to make sure he/she keeps his/her
mouth shut. I am just imagining if something like that
had ever happened to me when I was very young, I would
have been put into some kind of a fright which would
have shut up my mouth so tight, because the thought of
anyone knowing what had happened would be horrible, and
I had a mother who would have 'acted' immediately, but
it is the age of the victim, and what the molester says
to them that does the trick, to stop them from talking.

A threat to 'harm' their family to start with.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Threats aren't even necessary. Sometimes it's the simple fact that one doesn't want people knowing. Teenage boys especially.... no teen boy wants to be picked on because coach touched him. It's too complicated an issue to ever think there's one answer to it.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

If you knew anything about James, which is what this thread started with, you'd know that he mostly assaulted the kids when they were at his house.

How would having cameras in arenas prevent that?

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
your suggestion could possibly secure the dressing room,
but of course the coach or whatever person is planning
to molest a child or teenager, will then 'never' do anything
wrong within the walls of that dressing room, so he will then
plan 'where' he will do his 'dirty deeds', and lure the
child to that area with any number of stories which seem
valid to the child/teenager.

There is big problem 'because' the child/teenager will not
say anything, but think of the numerous stories the
molester can drum up to make sure he/she keeps his/her
mouth shut. I am just imagining if something like that
had ever happened to me when I was very young, I would
have been put into some kind of a fright which would
have shut up my mouth so tight, because the thought of
anyone knowing what had happened would be horrible, and
I had a mother who would have 'acted' immediately, but
it is the age of the victim, and what the molester says
to them that does the trick, to stop them from talking.

A threat to 'harm' their family to start with.

I think we should leave the teenagers out they are of legal age and fall under a deferent time table restriction from their parents then a child age 5 - 10,

A pedophile will not set up a date with a 10 year old being the child is under stricter supervision , he or she will set up a deferent location to do the dirty deed. The 5 -10 year old getting assaulted at this fragile time some where in the facility, 2 floors down from where the parents are, while the parent waits on the benches talking to other parents waiting for their kid to come out dressed ready to go home.

That is where electronic surveillance should be provided to catch such luring activity. In deferent parts of the facility. While instead the kid is getting assaulted for two years and the kid has been told to keep quiet, other wise “I will hurt you do you understand?” That is wrong to allow that to continue. This has to be made very public, while public awareness will inform the vulnerable and put the predator on notice.