Is the HOCKEY coach a pedophile?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I also wander how many other coaches on other sports have committed such displaceable assaults and victims are to afraid to come out and tell their nightmare of a story?

I don't know about displaceable assaults, but there are always stories of coaches in swimming, figure skating, etc, preying on both male and female athletes under their care.

There was a soccer coach at UPEI a year or two ago who got herself in trouble for having a relationship with some of her young female players.

It's certainly not just hockey where this happens.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I don't know about displaceable assaults, but there are always stories of coaches in swimming, figure skating, etc, preying on both male and female athletes under their care.

There was a soccer coach at UPEI a year or two ago who got herself in trouble for having a relationship with some of her young female players.

It's certainly not just hockey where this happens.

This is something that can (and does) occur wherever adults are in positions of authority, its not specific to sports or religions. Its another reason parents have to maintain trust and open dialogue with their kids, so the kids won't be afraid to come to them for help when confronted by this type of activity.

As for Graham James, more allegations are coming out against him and I hope they will lead to more charges, if they're true. People like him (pedophiles) don't just "get cured", and its scary to think someone has hired him to coach again, even on the other side of the ocean. Its also scary to me to think he could get a pardon for this type of violent crime under any circumstances, and any political party involved in allowing or not fixing loopholes that allow it to happen should be held to account.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
If a blind eye is turned on this horrible assault by the Church, the rest of humanity will go on feeling sorry for the victims while some idiot offers a pardon to a morally sick individual.

The best remedy is to speak immediately, and if the offender threatens the victim in order to keep it from public knowledge, the victim should speak louder, Uttering threats are punishable by jail term. Jail for a pedophile should be exercised to the maxim, not first offence get put back in the community to re-offend, real jail, where from time to time they get sexually assaulted by the mean demented convicts.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
The best remedy is to speak immediately....

Were you ever a kid? How does a kid react to "Your Mommy won't love you any more" ... or "Nobody will believe you" ... or "Your hockey days will be over".

Have you ever been so ashamed you didn't dare tell anyone?

That's where these goofs get their power.

My solution has something to do with projectiles and urine.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
The best remedy is to speak immediately, and if the offender threatens the victim in order to keep it from public knowledge, the victim should speak louder, Uttering threats are punishable by jail term. Jail for a pedophile should be exercised to the maxim, not first offence get put back in the community to re-offend, real jail, where from time to time they get sexually assaulted by the mean demented convicts.

The problem is that most kids are caught in a bit of a quandary: in our society, we teach them to respect and obey their elders and those in positions of authority. In these cases, they have to measure that teaching versus the knowledge that what is happening/what they are being threatened with is wrong. Its a difficult situation for most adults never mind a kid who is still learning all nuances and subtleties of interacting with others. Thats a big part of the reason I find these types of crimes so unforgiveable and worthy of the harshest punishments we can mete out.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
The problem is that most kids are caught in a bit of a quandary: in our society, we teach them to respect and obey their elders and those in positions of authority. In these cases, they have to measure that teaching versus the knowledge that what is happening/what they are being threatened with is wrong. Its a difficult situation for most adults never mind a kid who is still learning all nuances and subtleties of interacting with others. Thats a big part of the reason I find these types of crimes so unforgiveable and worthy of the harshest punishments we can mete out.

Me and my wife we started our son at the age of 6 in hockey, we informed our son from day one not to let anyone touch him in the privet parts ever. We told our kid we will be there on every game in the dressing room watching for this type of behaviour . As my son got older he started asking questions why we told him to be careful when in fact nothing ever happened? Good thing that it didn’t, and I told my son we are lucky, but is it fair to place our lack on the fact that we were present all the time and if there was a coach that had bent intentions did not dared to pursue them because of our vigilant watch? I don’t know, one thing is for sure neither one of my kids son and daughter were ever threatened. Installing cameras on all hockey arenas and dressing rooms would be a good start to keep the pedophile coach under watch.
Or in the schools, or anywhere where two eyes are better then one and very nececery.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Who is going to be watching these images? Would you feel comfortable in knowing your kid may be undressing in front of a camera? Good idea - but an invasion of privacy on so many levels.

How do they get away with it? Power over the kids. Glib with the parents.

"I just simply can't accept that Mr X would do such a thing. He's an elder in the Church and an upstanding member of my favourite political party / service club / etc....

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Installing cameras on all hockey arenas and dressing rooms would be a good start to keep the pedophile coach under watch.
Or in the schools, or anywhere where two eyes are better then one and very nececery.

Sorry, but I don't want my daughter using a dressing room with cameras in it. In fact, the league has a rule - none of the girls are allowed to bring cell phones or cameras into the dressing room.

Her team has a rule - when the girls are dressed, the coach's wife goes in to check if the coach is allowed in, then the coaches come in. They also ensure that there is more than one coach there at all times. That's a rule for the boys teams as well - no coach is supposed to be in the dressing room with the kids unless another adult is present.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Installing cameras on all hockey arenas and dressing rooms would be a good start to keep the pedophile coach under watch.

Yeah... videotaping kids stripping will keep pedophiles at bay alright. I hear that's exactly why it's a good idea to take naked pictures of the kids you're looking after... to prove nothing untoward is happening to them.

Reactions: lone wolf

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
That's a rule for the boys teams as well - no coach is supposed to be in the dressing room with the kids unless another adult is present.

when it comes to my kids, coaches aren't the only concern either.... any parent who insists on being in the change room at all times would have my suspicions up mighty quick.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Yeah... videotaping kids stripping will keep pedophiles at bay alright. I hear that's exactly why it's a good idea to take naked pictures of the kids you're looking after... to prove nothing untoward is happening to them.

I wonder what hockey dressing room u r talking about allowing kids to strip naked and take picture of them?:roll:
I never witnessed in 10 years of taking my son to hockey any naked kids, but I did witness coaches placing their arm on a kid’s back numerous times and for a lengthy time, causing to wonder if he was a pedophile.

I am not suggesting here that 100% are to be watched, the 5% of coaches who have committed sexual assaults on innocent youngsters are the ones that should be monitored every step of the way via electronic media.

The pedophile if he knows there is a guard on the boundary he or she will not cross. In the Church the same thing, the pedophile priest if there is cameras on hallways or any area where more then one person congregating that should be recorded. Talk to Theoren Fleury and others like him, the native kids who were robed from the right to spirituality and instead they were forced to surrender their peace, these assaults took place when no one was watching, had a method of guard been in place to monitor this problem it would be suppressed to extinction.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
How do you have a camera actively taping in a dressing room without seeing what happens in the DRESSING room? No showers? Do they wear street clothes under their kit? Think, Soc.... Think....

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
How do you have a camera actively taping in a dressing room without seeing what happens in the DRESSING room? No showers? Do they wear street clothes under their kit? Think, Soc.... Think....
What????? my kid took his hockey gear off, but had underpants on and a t-shirt, put his street cloths on, and when we got home he took a shower, or with his hockey cloths on we went home and then he took a shower . .......you think LW, pedophilia is not a hobby is a f disease of the mind. Cameras will be a better deterrent then lip service.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I doubt that much of this ever happens at the rinks, in the dressing rooms.

It's when the coaches have the kids at their homes that these things occur.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
What????? my kid took his hockey gear off, but had underpants on and a t-shirt, put his street cloths on, and when we got home he took a shower, or with his hockey cloths on we went home and then he took a shower . .......you think LW, pedophilia is not a hobby is a f disease of the mind. Cameras will be a better deterrent then lip service.

No Jock? Poor kid....

I know what pedophilia is ... and I know how creeps can get their jollies just in watching kids in bathing suits.

Please don't justify it by calling it a disease.

Last edited:

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
No Jock? Poor kid....

I know what pedophilia is ... and I know how creeps can get their jollies just in watching kids in bathing suits.

Please don't justify it by calling it a disease.
No I am not justifying this hireable happening, if I had a chance to catch a pedophile sexually abusing a youngster, I think I will have no civility left in me, I will attempt to hurt severely the person committing the assault, and I will deal with the law latter.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
cameras would just create another problem of having to
monitor the camera to make sure no one is viewing what
is going on in the dressing room, 'as a hobby'.
People can organize how to properly take care of dressing
room acivities, parents, coaches, managers and 'rules' created for dressing room monitoring.
Team officials should make big speeches just before season
starts, so that kids know what the rules are, and will
question anything odd.

There are lots of people around a hockey rink, most of whom
have some connection to the kids, and teen agers, who
are 'very' cool, (in their own minds) and will sluff off
anyone wanting to 'care' for them.

Do it anyway.

Have rules on a sign on the wall of the dressing room, so
that the players know what the rules are, will read the
sign, and be aware. Parents have responsibilities toward
their kids when they are somewhere else, don't just sit
around watching tv while your kids are playing a sport.

Know what is going on. (especially mothers)

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
room acivities, parents, coaches, managers and 'rules' created for dressing room monitoring.
question anything odd.

Do it anyway.

:cool::cool::cool:

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
question anything odd.

Do it anyway.

Exactly, Talloola. Well said.