Is the HOCKEY coach a pedophile?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You mean priests, coaches, teachers and other adults in positions of authority didn't abuse children 50 years ago? Based on some of the accusations stemming from things like the boarding schools native kids were shipped off to, I have a hard time crediting that idea as fact.

The thing that has changed in the last 50 years is awareness. Technology has spread information at a rate that was inconceivable 50 years ago. We no longer live in blissful ignorance of the monsters that DO exist outside our doors. If you can claim that such ignorance of real threats is better, then I call you a fool.

You're quite right in that aspect, Wulfie. I was referring mainly to the surveillance necessary today to monitor these bastards. BAck in '59 a lot of them probably just got quietly dropped down an abandoned well, but obviously not enough of them. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You're quite right in that aspect, Wulfie. I was referring mainly to the surveillance necessary today to monitor these bastards. BAck in '59 a lot of them probably just got quietly dropped down an abandoned well, but obviously not enough of them. :lol::lol::lol::lol:
Given that studies suggest that most cild abuse goes unreported today. I think it's safe to say that more oft then not, the abuser in the 50's just kept abusing and never even came close enough to the brim of a well, unless he was depositing one of his victims.

The culture surrounding child abuse has changed, but we still have a long way to go.

It's absurd to think there was less of it in the 50's or that the perpetrators were dealt with in any other way then quietly sweeping it under the rug in the majority of cases. As history has successfully exposed.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Profile of a Pedophile

Profile of a Pedophile - The Characteristics of a Pedophile

Pedophiles can be anyone -- old or young, rich or poor, educated or uneducated, non-professional or professional, and of any race. However, pedophiles often demonstrate similar characteristics, but these are merely indicators and it should not be assumed that individuals with these characteristics are pedophiles. But knowledge of these characteristics coupled with questionable behavior can be used as an alert that someone may be a pedophile.

Outrage over pardon of junior hockey sex predator - NHL - Yahoo! Sports

Outrage over pardon of junior hockey sex predator

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
What? You didn't believe what I already posted?

Be careful.... Exaggerated terms, too-passionate deflections and outright dodges could paint anyone into the profile.

Remember: Pedophiles can be anyone.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
talloola, lets not have any electronic surveillance, and when the kid becomes an adult age 40 after a career in hockey he comes out in public and says my coach molested me when I was 9 years old I was threatened not to say anything, and poor others who got assaulted in the interim, Ok, lets not put cameras in the dressing room. But lets put cameras all over the hallways, and under stairways. Do you have a problem with that? If cameras should not be allowed in hallways and the Pope will turn the other way, (a blind eye) who is protecting the 40 year old when he was a defenceless kid?, because adults did not have the intestinal fortitude to protect them.

The assertion that this problem is not as big as it is played to be is a huge injustice and further injury to the victims who are now adults and are able to see that way back then not enough was done to protect them...

you're a little out of control and exaggerating this situation, and not being very realistic at all, and
you're not addressing actual events and how they will
play out, and cameras in dressing rooms won't do it.

And you must realize that the vast majority of people in charge of kids
at any time in any situation are great people with the best interests of
the kids at heart, and if any 'one' person who is innocent, ever gets accused
of molesting or mistreating someone's child, that is a stain that is very hard
to get rid of, people will always think there 'was' some truth to the accusation
and I can't imagine how horrible that is to live with, so we must make sure that
never happens to anyone, protect the innocent, the children and the adults, and
we can do that without any cameras in dressing rooms.

Last edited:

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
you're a little out of control and exaggerating this situation, and not being very realistic at all, and
you're not addressing actual events and how they will
play out, and cameras in dressing rooms won't do it.

How am I out of control? when in fact this is a serious problem facing 5-10 years old kids.
And a bigger problem having adults wanting no change in benefiting and protecting the kids?

I said Talloola, what about the hall ways and in remote areas of the facility, in an effort to get clues and provide a safety net for all vulnerable kids.

If you, as a coach did everything correctly that is a good deed on you report card, and I am sure there is many like you, who have take up hockey coaching because you and they love the sport, you provide honest guidance for the kids you coach, and that is all good.
But look around there is many in the field whose motives may come to question. Why take the safety net out just because you and others have followed the correct guidelines in coaching kids safely with out any abuse what so ever, and when in fact there is many out there waiting to abuse that trust.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Don't you think that magnifying the problem is enough to frighten parents and kids away from any organized activity? Should there be due diligence? Damned straight!

The sad fact of life is no matter how stout the barriers we place between people, there will always be the vulnerable and there will always be someone who stalks them. Nobody is ever going to change that. The best we can do is be aware.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Don't you think that magnifying the problem is enough to frighten parents and kids away from any organized activity? Should there be due diligence? Damned straight!

The sad fact of life is no matter how stout the barriers we place between people, there will always be the vulnerable and there will always be someone who stalks them. Nobody is ever going to change that. The best we can do is be aware.

Hey LW philosophical verbiage is not a solution, Talk to Theo Fleury about what it feels like to have his childhood robed. We are not talking about segregating people from normal activity in an effort to starve the predator, I am talking to introduce batter methodology to fish out the sexual predator.

The old method we keep the kids informed does nothing, when in fact kids at a certain age have a curiosity and the sexual predator is the there to help answer the kids curiosity, with candy and other gifts in an effort to lure.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Hey LW philosophical verbiage is not a solution, Talk to Theo Fleury about what it feels like to have his childhood robed. We are not talking about segregating people from normal activity in an effort to starve the predator, I am talking to introduce batter methodology to fish out the sexual predator.

The old method we keep the kids informed does nothing, when in fact kids at a certain age have a curiosity and the sexual predator is the there to help answer the kids curiosity, with candy and other gifts in an effort to lure.

Go ahead and introduce some. I mean, if you can find a way to out them before it's their time to be outed, more power to you. I don't have to talk to Theo Fleury or anyone. For 14 years I lived with a wife who lived the reality ... thus so did I as a secondary victim.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
There is so much more awareness now days, people are more
diligent, and it is OK to talk about such things, that is
so good.
When I was a kid, and in the fleury days when he was a kid,
it still was a hush up kind of society.
Not so any more, hence all of those priests being exposed,
(parden the pun), and the catholic church looks so stupid
and inefficient now, as we all know that they cover up such
behavior. They must address that type of behavior, don't
they wonder why most of us just despise the church for what
they have condoned for so many years.
Kids now are so 'savvy', and they even make me surprised at
how knowledgeable they are of this type of behavior.
We are going in the right direction, these people are freaks
among us, BUT, the legal system now must bring themselves
up to date, they are obviously not doing that, hence, this
monster was pardened.
No one will put a camera in 'my' kids dressing room, give
me a break, that is just as bad as the parent who just
doesn't care where his kid is.
(a little side note, can you imagine what some of these kids
will do, from time to time when they know there is a camera
in the room), I think it is called exhibitionism, and they
will have a howl over it every time, thinking that someone
might see them prancing around naked.