Is Islam a threat to those that do not practice it

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Muslim and Christian Palastinains are fighting together for independence. Also in Iraq. Iraqis are both Christians and muslims.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
No. The people bombing churches are not Iraqis. Both Christians and Muslims are fighting in Iraq. Christian Iraqis look at American forces the same way the Muslims do, Occupiers.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Re: RE: Is Islam a threat to those that do not practice it

Rick van Opbergen said:
Hmmm ok ... is that also the case in Iraq? Are Iraqi Christians not seen at a same level of their American "brothers" (Christians)? taking into consideration the recent bombings of churches in Iraq by a bunch of extremists?

There was a time when they we're attacking each other, in Iraq (The different religions). But as of recently, they fight together against the occupier. Same can be said for Palestine. When churchs and Mosque are blown to pieces, it is usually by outside terrorist groups tring to divide the country, to better further their cause in the futur. A divided Iraq, is much better for recruiting then a United, Secular Iraq (Odly enough, thats what Iraq was before the War).

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Very true. Iraq was very united before the invasion. People lived in peace no matter what religion they have. Now the extremists are trying to divide the country. This also might answer the other question about Muslims killing Christians and vice versa. It is called divide and conquer. Political agendas use the Divide and conquer method to have the people kill each other which makes it easy for them to be in control.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
But what about al-Sadr? He does not accept Christians. According to an article from asianews.it "the 24 year-old Imam Al-Sadr, a fierce enemy of Christians, Israel and the West, is considered the shadiest person of the post-Saddam Hussein era". On the other hand, however, as you said, a lot of Muslim clerics call up to extremists not to attack their "Christian brothers", and the Iraqi Christians themselves say the bombing of churches are the work of foreign extremists ...

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
I don't know where you guys are getting your information, it just doesn't seem to play out in my research. I hope you are right, your view paints are more optimistic picture, but I'm having trouble finding empirical support for it.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=christians+leaving+iraq&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Even Tariq Aziz had to obfuscate his Christian roots:

http://www.iraqinews.com/people_aziz.shtml

Mr. Aziz was born to a Chaldean Catholic family. Originally named Michael Yuhanna, he changed his name to Tariq Aziz (glorious past) to allay hostile sentiments towards his religious heritage.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
Well I can't deny that Just the Facts. Approximately 80% of all Iraqi Americans is Christian; since the beginning of the war, approximately 40,000 of the 800,000 Iraqi Christians have left Iraq since the fall of Saddam Hussein; while they only comprise about 3% of the population, 20% of all Iraqi refugees in Syria are Christian; most actions against Christians in Iraq are believed to be performed by foreign nationals, under the leadership of al-Zarqawi, although it is also believed Al Sadr militias are behind recent attacks; see www.christiansofiraq.com

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Just the Facts said:
I don't know where you guys are getting your information, it just doesn't seem to play out in my research. I hope you are right, your view paints are more optimistic picture, but I'm having trouble finding empirical support for it.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=christians+leaving+iraq&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Even Tariq Aziz had to obfuscate his Christian roots:

http://www.iraqinews.com/people_aziz.shtml

Mr. Aziz was born to a Chaldean Catholic family. Originally named Michael Yuhanna, he changed his name to Tariq Aziz (glorious past) to allay hostile sentiments towards his religious heritage.

Of course, different religions arnt very well accepted in the Islamic world. The only exception has beeen Iraq. Iraq under Saddam was very Secular, many of his closest advisors we're christians... As much as saddam was brutal in his last 15 years of rule, he did build a great country. The wars against Iran changed the man, and the country....

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Numure said:
Of course, different religions arnt very well accepted in the Islamic world. The only exception has beeen Iraq. .

So we've gone from

only Saudi Arabia discriminates against non-muslims

to

only Iraq didn't discriminate against non-muslims

I think the truth is rising to the top. Thanks guys, it's been a pleasure discussing with you.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Is Islam a threat to

Are we supposed to be judging ourselves against totalitarian regimes, whether they are based on religion or secular?

Islam, as a religion, exists all over the world. Islamic states are relegated to a small part of the world.

It could also be argued that the US is, despite the best efforts of the founding fathers, a fundamentalist Christian state. If one were to examine US foreign policy in the last century and the policies of the present adminstration, a strong case could be made that they are persecuting non-Christians abroad as a matter of course and that persecution has lately spread to American citizens.

One could further argue that all governments headed up by Christians will eventually slip into the same pattern.

Would that make Chrisianity a threat to world peace? Lets not confuse the actions of governments and radicals who use religion to expand and hold on to power with entire and widely varied faiths.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Just the Facts said:
Numure said:
Of course, different religions arnt very well accepted in the Islamic world. The only exception has beeen Iraq. .

So we've gone from

to

I think the truth is rising to the top. Thanks guys, it's been a pleasure discussing with you.

I've never talked about Saudi Arabia, trully sorry dear lad. And by that, the truth is rising..

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Re: RE: Is Islam a threat to

Reverend Blair said:
Are we supposed to be judging ourselves against totalitarian regimes, whether they are based on religion or secular?

Islam, as a religion, exists all over the world. Islamic states are relegated to a small part of the world.

It could also be argued that the US is, despite the best efforts of the founding fathers, a fundamentalist Christian state. If one were to examine US foreign policy in the last century and the policies of the present adminstration, a strong case could be made that they are persecuting non-Christians abroad as a matter of course and that persecution has lately spread to American citizens.

One could further argue that all governments headed up by Christians will eventually slip into the same pattern.

Would that make Chrisianity a threat to world peace? Lets not confuse the actions of governments and radicals who use religion to expand and hold on to power with entire and widely varied faiths.

And that, was the point of my first post in this thread. You've said it quite better then me, as always.

MASTER

Oct 15, 2004
NEW YORK
I have friends who are from the middle east arab christian's they tell me they don't have equal rights in the middle east they are made to feel like second class citizen's.Muslimstry and covert them with the blessing of the goverment.but if a christian dears to try and teach muslim about Christianity he would be dealth with in a harsh way if not out right beaten or killed.Muslims are not allowed free will to choose there faith.if they do they can be killed if they choose to leave there religion.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
MASTER said:
I have friends who are from the middle east arab christian's they tell me they don't have equal rights in the middle east they are made to feel like second class citizen's.Muslimstry and covert them with the blessing of the goverment.but if a christian dears to try and teach muslim about Christianity he would be dealth with in a harsh way if not out right beaten or killed.Muslims are not allowed free will to choose there faith.if they do they can be killed if they choose to leave there religion.

Master,

I really like to meet your so-called friends. I have no clue where you get your stories from.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Just the Facts said:
Numure said:

So we've gone from

to

You are welcome. You don't seem to like the truth. You only want to hear what you want to hear. Sorry but Reverend put it in a very nice way. We could look at the US as a fundamentalist state. Would that make you happier?

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
MASTER: we always have "friends" ... now we should take in consideration that in a lot of Gulf states - and moghrabi, the law tells us that - that Christians do not enjoy full rights compared to their Muslim neighbors. Whether the roots lie in Islam - I don't know. It does tell us that there is something wrong.