Is Anonymity a right or a privilege?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I met Bill Gates one day at Comdex in Las Vegas, I know it's him because that is what his business card says.

And my neighbors sister hangs out at the Play Boy Mansion and knows Hugh Hefner because she brings back pictures of her and him standing together.

That is why we put things in writing, otherwise it's just heresay.
:?: :tard: :tard:

theconqueror

Time Out
Feb 1, 2010
San Diego, California
Think thats bad, the Queen wrote to me in jail once because I told her to do it using the power of the telephone and cooperation from office of protocol at the legislative building when she was in Canada.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
the conqueror - your neighbor's sister is a good sweet person...

Anyone standing with Hugh Hefner is usually helping hold him upright.;-)

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
the conqueror - your neighbor's sister is a good sweet person...

Anyone standing with Hugh Hefner is usually helping hold him upright.;-)
Probably. Usually they are blonde, talking, prosthetic-loaded crutches. :D

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
In a case like one politician calling another politician names, take for example Danny Williams the Premier of Newfoundland and Labrador, he is on record calling Harper a fraud, why did Harper not pursue Danny Williams in court for such a serious deformation?.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
The internet is an information tool ..Not a physical reality ...Therefore - Let freedom rule...With exceptions in the xxxxtreme...
Good day Green Fish, I am of the same opinion, as long as no one is threatened or black mailed. And as long as one will not benefit financially from threats or black mail.When we talk about fact, there is very little argument against the truth to that fact. Suppressing factual truth that happens only in countries with dictatorships.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Suppressing factual truth that happens only in countries with dictatorships.

OK correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't read anyone in this thread talk about suppressing the truth: merely people pointing out that engaging in defamation of character, slander and libel are all subject to legal sanction and that the internet shouldn't necessarily provide a sanctuary for those who wish to do so.

Good day Green Fish, I am of the same opinion, as long as no one is threatened or black mailed. And as long as one will not benefit financially from threats or black mail.

I was fine with your first statement but I do object to your second sentence, as I bolded in the above quote. Whether or not someone benefits or not from threats or blackmail is immaterial: they are wrong and in many cases illegal for good reason. Someone spreading libelous and defamatory gossip isn't necessarily going to profit either, but the person they are spreading their lies about can face financial or other harm because of it. That is why it is subject to legal actions: its about the targets/victims of the statements not the issuer.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
After reading much of what is on here, what we have to realise is that we all have certain rights. Libel, slander, and defamation were not actionable except for the ruling classes or nobility until the last few centuries, but in any case, we do have defenses against such things. These are not criminal or statutory offenses but torts. Damages are assessed by judges, and in some cases judges have ruled ruled against defendants and awarded plaintiffs the princely sum of $1 where actual monetary damage was negligable.

It is still the plaintiff's burden of proof when action is taken. Even though the internet and these forums are supposed to be anonymous, I still would like to feel secure in the belief that if someone libels or defames me specifically, and causes damage, I can still find out who it was and seek restitution. Again, many things are not actionable, and thankfully most jurists in this country are very quick to toss out dubious nuisance law suits, (much unlike our American cousins).

As a former union rep I had to take a wee,(large) bit of public relations and legal training, (don't say sh*t even if your mouth is full of it), there are many things that can land you in a world of hurt, and rightfully so. Publicly reporting someone's professional incompetence or ineptitude is a really good way to find yourself in a civil suit, with the real possibility of very large payroll deductions as a result. Personal attacks carry less of a potential penalty,but... Proof or truth is the best defense in all but Human Rights Commission tribunal cases, but that is a discussion for a different thread.

I like the anonymity of this forum, I can write somewhat freely, though I still have to be careful of what I post because I am still bound by certain confidentiality agreements and such, and still have the candid "don't leave yourself open to civil action" mindset. Though I do push some boundaries.

Posting your opinion is one thing, but posting something as fact, with a person specifically identified, that person should have the right to face their accusor, a right recently lost for those charged with sexual harassment, (which will probably end up as a constitutional challenge, again), and don't get me started on that one.