If you could have chosen your religion ?

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I 'd go for Satanist, from what I've read it makes sense , but so far I rather go with out any .

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
A prime example of 3 men that don't have a clue what they are talking about.
Good evening gerryh. I was brought up catholic so I know a little bit about that institution. I have also spent most of my adult life studying comparative religions and philosophies, so I do know something about that. Any yes, I have a lot of strong opinions about the subject, some of them almost as strong as your own, though I doubt we would agree much on the subject. None the less, I do respect your right to believe what you want but I was hoping that you would at least have a counter argument to the views expressed. Please take into consideration, the those views that I express are only my opinion and in no way reflect upon your belief system, just mine. I am open to be proven wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Good evening gerryh. I was brought up catholic so I know a little bit about that institution. I have also spent most of my adult life studying comparative religions and philosophies, so I do know something about that. Any yes, I have a lot of strong opinions about the subject, some of them almost as strong as your own, though I doubt we would agree much on the subject. None the less, I do respect your right to believe what you want but I was hoping that you would at least have a counter argument to the views expressed. Please take into consideration, the those views that I express are only my opinion and in no way reflect upon your belief system, just mine. I am open to be proven wrong.

Sorry.... been through these threads and have already seen what you and your buddies do when it comes to discussion, as a matter of fact, my comments above are right in line with how you guys "discuss" things in the spirituality threads when it comes to Christianity, Islam, and Catholicism in particular.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
For the same reason, you can't prove God's non-existance. Therefore atheists have to believe there is no god. Atheism is a belief based system.

In your opinion, that there is no God, may be beyond a reasonable doubt. Human beings have a primitive understanding of the Universe. God could be a reasonable approximation of the truth about the nature of the universe and its creation and you can't prove I'm wrong...

This is the same old argument; I don’t have to prove you wrong. When somebody makes a positive statement (e.g. there is a God), it is up to him to prove the statement. The burden of proof is upon him, not me.

The positive and negative side in an argument are not on the same footing, as you seem to think. The fact that you cannot prove that God exists and I cannot prove that he doesn’t exist, does not put us on equal footing. Responsibility exists with you to put forth evidence; I only have to shoot it down.

Suppose I tell you that I believe in anthropomorphic God, a God who looks just like me. I cannot prove that statement, you cannot disprove it. Does that mean that we are on equal footing, that a God who look just like me may exist (since we cannot prove one way or other)?

Or let me give the example I gave a while ago. I say that on the dark side of moon, the side we cannot see, there is a three bedroom house made of gingerbread and Swiss cheese, with a pool filled with maple syrup in the backyard (all hermetically sealed).

Now, you cannot disprove that statement, I cannot prove it. Does that put us on equal footing? Does that mean that we just don’t know, such a house may or may not exist?

Noting of the sort, the statement is assumed to be false until I can prove it to be true. It is the same with God. If somebody makes a statement that God exists, it is up to him to prove it; I don’t have to prove that God doesn’t exist. Burden of proof rests with the one who makes a positive statement.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Sorry.... been through these threads and have already seen what you and your buddies do when it comes to discussion, as a matter of fact, my comments above are right in line with how you guys "discuss" things in the spirituality threads when it comes to Christianity, Islam, and Catholicism in particular.

Pretty big brush your using gerryh.. Care to elaborate a bit on that "buddies" and "discuss" subject a bit for all of us so "WE" know we what we all think?

I sure would love to see what I have in my mind lately..

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Wasp Climatoligist or Black Hole Relativist and only if I could be a marrying bishop or pope.
DB, believe it or not, for anyone on here who actually knows me, this statement is quite funny. No - I won't explain it, but, it's still quite funny.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
The aboriginal people believe in an anthropomorphous creator but they alsobelieve the Earth is our mother, that she is the origin of life and the provider of all they need. In that way they view her as a goddess and cohort of the Creator as symbolized by the sun.They also recognized the influence of the moon on the cycles of life, referring to her as Grandmother Moon. So although they believed in the one creator, they also had lesser deities.

They also believed in the power of animal and plant spirits to help them navigate through life. Every animal has a set of characteristics that correspond to various human traits and virtues. Thus a bear represent inner strength, coyote is cunning, deer is beauty and innocence, wolf is wisdom, etc. Animals can help a person know themselves better and help through trying times.

I don't think your understanding is different than mine but you may not have delved into it to the extent that I have.

Not all aboriginals had the same beliefs, nor did they all behave civil or humanely. They were as diverse then as we all are now. Our beliefs may not differ that much but I still belive in one Creator who has dominion over "His" creations and delgates dominion in a descending order, (and yes, through spirits or angels), where we as humans, are the lowest order of sentient beings. Just as in the bible there are interpretations, though only through spirituality comes the realisation of what is right and just.

You and I may not be that far apart, but it seems you trust more in what the eye can see than what the heart can feel.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Not all aboriginals had the same beliefs, nor did they all behave civil or humanely. They were as diverse then as we all are now. Our beliefs may not differ that much but I still belive in one Creator who has dominion over "His" creations and delgates dominion in a descending order, (and yes, through spirits or angels), where we as humans, are the lowest order of sentient beings. Just as in the bible there are interpretations, though only through spirituality comes the realisation of what is right and just.

You and I may not be that far apart, but it seems you trust more in what the eye can see than what the heart can feel.
You are right about the beliefs of the aboriginals. Pretty hard to go into any detail here.
As for my trust in spirit, it has more to do with feelings than line of sight. The heart connects us to the wisdom of the soul, the soul is a direct conduit to the Creator. I'm not a purist by any means. I make my spirituality up as I learn new stuff and have new experiences. No dogma stuck to my shoes!:cool:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I would have picked Rosicrucianism.
I lived with a Rosicrucian for twelve years. I learned a lot form her. Then one day, out of the blue, her parents, who were high up in the order, became Born Again Christians. My partner was soon converted too and I was deemed to a minion of satan because of my involvement with native spirituality. Thus I lost my wife and child to the lunatic fringe. That is why I think dogma is so dangerous.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
A prime example of 3 men that don't have a clue what they are talking about.

None of the statements that I quoted are true.
*shrugs* You're entitled to your opinion. :)
So you are saying that only Christians work to better themselves? There aren't any that just do whatever they like and then head for the confessional only to do what they want the next day? Cool. I haven't seen halos bobbing around over anyone's head, though.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
At that stage of my life, I wouldn't have been qualified to select anything:smile:,but if it was 6 years old or so..probably would have selected the Jewish faith for its history and ceremonies.

The day I was born I had more things on my mind then religion, I am sure. :lol:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
*shrugs* You're entitled to your opinion. :)
So you are saying that only Christians work to better themselves? There aren't any that just do whatever they like and then head for the confessional only to do what they want the next day? Cool. I haven't seen halos bobbing around over anyone's head, though.

nope, didn't say that either, did I. Of corse their are those that do that,
just like there are those that don't "believe" that don't give a sh*t about
anyone but themsves. You don' see me making blanket statements about
athiests though, do you.