I felt it was time to post this old article about Trudeau - Written by the highly

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The "Nation within a Nation" comment is correct (much as I hate to admit Harper said something that made sense.) Don't you guys know anything about your own country? The BNA act gave sovereignty to the provinces. Canada is a "Confederation" of sovereign provinces. Get a copy and read it. Trudeau's constitution is just a piece of paper without Quebec signing on and it has never been ratified by the people of Canada. What we have is the BNA act with a bunch of illegal amendments.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The "Nation within a Nation" comment is correct (much as I hate to admit Harper said something that made sense.) Don't you guys know anything about your own country? The BNA act gave sovereignty to the provinces. Canada is a "Confederation" of sovereign provinces. Get a copy and read it. Trudeau's constitution is just a piece of paper without Quebec signing on and it has never been ratified by the people of Canada. What we have is the BNA act with a bunch of illegal amendments.

Ahhh...excuse me, but I'd calm down on the "Don't you guys know anything about your own country?" bit...or look in the mirror while you say it.

The BNA Act awards all powers in Canada to the FEDERAL government. All provincial legislation MUST be approved by the Federal government before it is enacted...the Feds enjoy the power to "disallow" any provincial legislation.

All residual powers are awarded to the federal government.

Sir John A. believed the US Civil War was caused by the constitutional flaw of too much power awarded to states.....so he set up the Canadian Constitution to ensure the Provinces could be kept neatly in line.......

"Get a copy and READ it."

Especially Sections 91 and 92.......i believe, from memory.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Do you have some misguided notion you can read between lines, interpret whichever errant and self-created facts you can glean, then manipulate your bastardized intel into thoughts you can attribute to me? If you can read, check out the part of the post where I speak of planes, trains and automobiles, then understand how asinine your statement is.

I have recognized the Conservative mismanagement - unlike yourself that is incapable of even imagining (for a nanosecond) that Trudeau or the libs could ever do wrong.

Tell me then, what did Trudeau build that justified his actions in transforming Canada from one of the 3 richest nations into a beggar nation?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I have recognized the Conservative mismanagement - unlike yourself that is incapable of even imagining (for a nanosecond) that Trudeau or the libs could ever do wrong.

Tell me then, what did Trudeau build that justified his actions in transforming Canada from one of the 3 richest nations into a beggar nation?

Tell me.... From where did you glean I am a Trudeau fan in "Trudeau was no more or less near-sighted than any other me-first government - of ANY stripe."

You CAN read whole words can't you?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Meech Lake did not provide the phrase or the agenda for 'disticnt society'... Meech Lake was saddled with this albatross.

There are very few political analysts - of any stripe - that don't blame Trudeau for initiating Quebec's discord within Canada.

What a crock! Did you ever hear of the FLQ? They were around long before Trudeau took office. I know. I was born there. They were blowing up mail boxes long before 1968. Westerners have a selective memory.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
What a crock! Did you ever hear of the FLQ? They were around long before Trudeau took office. I know. I was born there. They were blowing up mail boxes long before 1968. Westerners have a selective memory.

... Hmmmm... I guess that I'll have to go back to the pre-Trudeau years and count up all the referendums that were held in Quebec prior to 'distinct society'.

Interesting note on the FLQ - You're saying that most/majority or a significantly large population in Quebec supported the FLQ? Was that the desire of Quebec society?

If your answer is no, then don't paint the entire population in that province as terrorists.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I sure can... On that note, I'll ask you for the third time: Tell me then, what did Trudeau build that justified his actions in transforming Canada from one of the 3 richest nations into a beggar nation?

You CAN read whole words, can't you?

What in Hell has that got to do with my post? Do you walk to school or take a lunch?

Did I say I was a Trudeau supporter? That is entirely your twizzle. I really stress those reading comprehension courses for you ... and a little less Captain Morgan.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
You can read, right?... Go read post #44 - your post. Within, you'll see exactly what I wrote.

... And I used all 'whole' words just for you.

So ... are you attempting to debate something here or are you content to twist yourself into an ass. I know what you wrote ... and it has absolutely nothing to do with one-is-as-bad-as-the-other. Grade 1 was a rough decade on you wasn't it?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
... Hmmmm... I guess that I'll have to go back to the pre-Trudeau years and count up all the referendums that were held in Quebec prior to 'distinct society'.

Interesting note on the FLQ - You're saying that most/majority or a significantly large population in Quebec supported the FLQ? Was that the desire of Quebec society?

If your answer is no, then don't paint the entire population in that province as terrorists.

A large part of the population wanted independence. The FLQ was just the radical fringe. The Quebecois have not been happy since the Plains of Abraham. Up until the sixties they were intentionally undereducated, As my ex-wife told me, the nuns would tell them they were meant for small bread. They were meant to be the working class only.

Growing up, I was taught to think of the French as a sub species of the human race. It wasn't until I went out into the work force that I saw that they were no different than my privileged English ass. And that is precisely why they are still pissed today. Although I think it is time we all grew up, I still empathize with they position (since most Canadians are emotionally retarded adolescents).

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Hey Ron,

I'm just getting a kick out of watching lone wolf working so hard not to answer a simple question... It's Sir Joe all over again.

Who's working hard? I'm enjoying watching you make like some stupid yap dog creating an issue of nothing. What did Trudeau give us? You don't go to jail for having sex with a woman who isn't your wife any more. Divorce went beyond grounds of adultery. Why are you asking me to defend a PM I thought was a jerk? Joe? You came from his site. That's about who I was thinking you are....

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Fair enough Cliffy... My point re: Trudeau and Quebec is in no manner a sleight against Quebecers, it was targeted at Trudeau for opening Pandora's Box.

I'll say this as well.. It sounds to me that you've lived or traveled all across Canada at one time or another and I'll wager that in these travels (or previous lives) you've encountered some form of cultural/regional/provincial discord (use whatever word you like) in all regions.

Everyone has their beefs and issues and similarly, everyone has those 'things' that they are proud of relative to who they are, where they live and what they stand for. Quite honestly, one could conceivably take an old separatist speech, change a word or 2 here and there to reflect a different region, and that speech would be equally as applicable to that local population.