Humboldt Broncos bus crash

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Was just reading that this accident occurred at the same spot where a family from Alberta had been killed, and is in fact a well-known problem intersection.

I was reminded of the van full of migrant workers in Perth county that was killed on a spot on a secondary highway where many accidents have
taken place.

And yes, people make mistakes. That is exactly true. I feel very badly for the trucker as well as for everyone else here.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
My aunt taught school just down the road from this intersection for three plus decades in Star City. I've been up there, just once. The roads are not busy and it would be easy to assume that no on else is around. That is more or less what happened in Perth County, too.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
I believe the Ontario accident was chalked up to driver error, which is probably true.

Its just that some mistakes just get you flipped off, while others will result in something like this.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I believe the Ontario accident was chalked up to driver error, which is probably true.

Its just that some mistakes just get you flipped off, while others will result in something like this.

This is probably driver error, too. Question is, which driver?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Or maybe a tie rod end dropped off one of the vehicles! It happens.

Yeah, maybe. Something is sure "up" with that intersection, though. There is a stop in only one direction and sight line problems in the other. If one party fails to stop then the other can't see them not stopping. Running stop signs is quite common out in the countryside. "Why should I stop when no one is ever there?"

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Was just reading that this accident occurred at the same spot where a family from Alberta had been killed, and is in fact a well-known problem intersection.

I was reminded of the van full of migrant workers in Perth county that was killed on a spot on a secondary highway where many accidents have
taken place.

And yes, people make mistakes. That is exactly true. I feel very badly for the trucker as well as for everyone else here.

However it happened it's tragic, I just hope to Hell it wasn't the trucker at fault, hopefully vehicle failure. A lot of times the roads get blamed but seldom the driver who fails to drive accordingly. There is really no excuse for having an accident on a shitty road, especially if signage is up to snuff! Makes me think of the troop train at Redpass Jct. in the early 50s. That was operator error, can't recall if he was drunk or just fell asleep. Does anyone recall?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
However it happened it's tragic, I just hope to Hell it wasn't the trucker at fault, hopefully vehicle failure. A lot of times the roads get blamed but seldom the driver who fails to drive accordingly. There is really no excuse for having an accident on a shitty road, especially if signage is up to snuff! Makes me think of the troop train at Redpass Jct. in the early 50s. That was operator error, can't recall if he was drunk or just fell asleep. Does anyone recall?

Here's a troop train accident that killed 36, wounded 150 near Ottawa during the war. (I lived in Almonte for a time and was therefore aware of it). The conductor committed suicide after this one.
It has been forgotten as large numbers of men were being killed daily at sea, in the air and later on land.

Almonte to mark 70th anniversary of Dec. 27, 1942 train crash that killed dozens and injured more than 150 | Ottawa Sun

...but I digress. We don't expect to lose our young men, anymore.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Yeah, maybe. Something is sure "up" with that intersection, though. There is a stop in only one direction and sight line problems in the other. If one party fails to stop then the other can't see them not stopping. Running stop signs is quite common out in the countryside. "Why should I stop when no one is ever there?"

There is a stop sign on both sides

I guess it wont glue to the post so here is the article I was taking it from the aerial photo shows a stop sign on both sides of the Highway

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/cana...out-the-point-of-impact/ar-AAvDqEE?li=AAggNb9

AAvEYUL.jpg

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Looks like live chicken crates to me.

Apparently it was peat.

The trailer of the truck lay nearby in a shattered mess, with bags of its peat moss cargo scattered all around. The tractor part was intact, lying on its passenger side.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I see Putz is continuing to act like an absolute frigging moron. He obviously knows the cause of the accident but isn't posting it. :lol:

Here's a troop train accident that killed 36, wounded 150 near Ottawa during the war. (I lived in Almonte for a time and was therefore aware of it). The conductor committed suicide after this one.
It has been forgotten as large numbers of men were being killed daily at sea, in the air and later on land.

Almonte to mark 70th anniversary of Dec. 27, 1942 train crash that killed dozens and injured more than 150 | Ottawa Sun

...but I digress. We don't expect to lose our young men, anymore.

I think the accident at Red Pass Jct. involved troops returning from Korea. Numerous killed.
P.S. My last post was in error, the accident happened about 30 miles south of Red Pass and the troops were headed to Korea, not returning.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canoe_River_train_crash

Last edited:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Niagara Falls during the vigil held in Humboldt last night.

GoFundMeBroncos has now surpassed $6 million dollars raised by 80,946 people in 2 days from over 70 different countries.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

He could have just misjudged the speed and distance of the bus. Trucker had the stop sign.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Fine, strong young men gone, eh? It's so sad.

It's a tiny taste of what our communities were going through a century ago.