Harper says `major' changes coming to pension system

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Well that's about to be decided by the war which seems to have swelled to global proportions, the fuse is getting short. Republicans want the single currency Walter. How come you're a republican?

I doubt very much many Republicans support a world currency.

You sound like Ron Paul. I think that's cool.

Ron Paul most certainly does not want a world currency; he's more of an isolationist.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The banks live in our fridges and oil tanks and they climb in on the power lines, we sleep with them every night, they own the blankets and our teeth Johnnys in college for a few more years then he'll be chained to a work station till he retires his education debt and the grandchildren will have to pay the mortage off.

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
An ecard for Harper....

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I doubt very much many Republicans support a world currency.

Ron Paul most certainly does not want a world currency; he's more of an isolationist.

Every republican candidate except Ron Paul support one world government and all the trappins, their support for internationalist policy is clearly understood in their support for Israeli policy. Israel is the visablel center of the globalist international.
Isolation has always meant independence and competition the two enemies of multinationals.

Only the part about multinational and the banks. But I'm no expert!!

We leave too much of the thinking to experts usually they're expert at conning us out of something. I'm not an expert either I just run off at the fingertips cuz it's fun and it's cheap.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Every republican candidate except Ron Paul support one world government and all the trappins, their support for internationalist policy is clearly understood in their support for Israeli policy. Israel is the visablel center of the globalist international.
Isolation has always meant independence and competition the two enemies of multinationals.

No doubt many Republicans probably support US political, military, economic, and cultural hegemony, but let's not confuse world hegemony with world government. They are still distinct concepts.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
The most glaring observation i made about this.. was that a Major Policy Statement was made not before a domestic audience, or a Parliamentary committee.. which would foment a national debate.. but as a 'fait a complis' before this cess pool of rationalizations for the Global trading oligarchs at Davos. Capitulating to its mantra of austerity and free trade.. that has failed utterly in the last 40 years and is leading the world into another Great Depression.

Davos was chosen to purify its codex, and coopt politicians and media from around the world. A secluded, expensive resort.. protected by mountains and accessible by a single road.. it was intended to exclude protest and present a picture of unanimity.. of a gift of the 'wisdom' of the sages of the mountains.. far beyond the ability of the common dregs like ourselves to understand.. and therefor given complete credulity

And this disgraceful little traitor Harper falls for it. He goes hat in hand, bowing and kowtowing to his masters.. an obedient shill for their Global financial tyranny. The stench of malfeasance, ulterior motives, ignorance, arrogance is overwhelming with this guy. I'm hoping there are a few honest people left in the Conservative caucus that will stand up to him. I'm not sure he's completely cleansed the Party of John A. of its patriotism and integrity.. but for the most part they seem to be just as weak and cowardly as he is.

Last edited:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Major changes? I would think that would have been a good thing to put on your campaign platform, so people know what they're voting for...hidden agenda :lol:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
The most glaring observation i made about this.. was that a Major Policy Statement was made not before a domestic audience, or a Parliamentary committee.. which would foment a national debate.. but as a 'fait a complis' before this cess pool of rationalizations for the Global trading oligarchs at Davos. Capitulating to its mantra of austerity and free trade.. that has failed utterly in the last 40 years and is leading the world into another Great Depression.

Davos was chosen to purify its codex, and coopt politicians and media from around the world. A secluded, expensive resort.. protected by mountains and accessible by a single road.. it was intended to exclude protest and present a picture of unanimity.. of a gift of the sages of the mountains.. far beyond the ability of the common dregs like ourselves to understand., and therefor given complete credulity

And this disgraceful little traitor Harper falls for it. He goes hat in hand, bowing and kowtowing to his masters.. an obedient shill for their Global financial tyranny. The stench of malfeasance, ulterior motives, ignorance, arrogance is overwhelming with this guy. I'm hoping there are a few honest people left in the Conservative caucus that will stand up to him. I'm not sure he's completely cleansed the Party of John A. of its patriotism and integrity.. but for the most part they seem to be just as weak and cowardly as he is.

So what are you proposing: Fortress Canada?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I still think it's not a very bright idea to increase the pension age. Like my wife commented the other day; oldtimers will be taking up jobs that youths could use for summer jobs and jobs that could take the edge off college costs. I don't know about other areas but around here, some kids were working 3 part time jobs at minimum wage. 1 kid we know works 5 part-time jobs; just about 1 different job for each of the 7 days in a week.
Another young lady has 3 jobs, but she's also a single mother in her late 20s.
Usually by retirement age, older people already have their homes paid for and have investment income. There's no reason why older people can't work if they can find or make a job anyway. I retired from firefighting and am repairing and operating heavy machinery. I don't really need the money but it beats playing rugby, fishing, and getting bored for the rest of my life. No doubt I'll quit the machinery eventually, but I'll think of other things to do that aren't so strenuous.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Proposed pension changes called 'attack on seniors'
Many seniors will be pushed into poverty, advocate says

A leader of a Newfoundland and Labrador retired workers group isn't mincing words over suggestions this week that the federal government may make major changes to publicly funded pensions.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper said in Switzerland Thursday that Canada's retirement income system will be undergoing "necessary" changes in the months to come.

"We have already taken steps to limit the growth of our health-care spending," Harper said. "We must do the same for our retirement income system."

The federal government notes that the cost of Old Age Security (OAS) will almost triple in the next 20 years, with the number of Canadians over 65 expected to climb to 9.3 million by 2030.

Ralph Morris of the Newfoundland and Labrador Public Sector Pensioners Association said possible changes — such as raising to 67 from 65 the age at which Canadians could qualify for OAS — would push many seniors into poverty.

"I think that it is an attack on the seniors of this country again by a prime minister and a government," Morris told CBC News. "We've seen much of it before. This is an even greater attack."

Click the video above to see Morris explain his case to Here & Now's Jonathan Crowe.

Proposed pension changes called 'attack on seniors' - Nfld. & Labrador - CBC News

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
So what are you proposing: Fortress Canada?

I'm proposing a comprehensive system of tarriffs to protect an integrated Canadian industrial economy.. a return to a truly progressive system of taxation, especially with respect to capital gains (excluding primary residence).. development of specific Canadian intellectual resources as the basis for non exploitive trade instead of the predatory post national system of Maquilladora and sweatshops that exist now.. a return to iterative constructive government management of the economy for the 'commonweal' by rejecting privatization, deregulation and austerity.. and a re-establishment of sovereign control of currency and credit by rescinding the devastating policies of monetarism (free markets is money).

These are all things that existed prior to the Free Market cult that has impoverished the world beginning in the 1970s. The policies that existed between 1946 and 1971 and produced the greatest period of equitably shared economic prosperity in Canadian history.

Last edited:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I'm proposing a comprehensive system of tarriffs to protect an integrated Canadian industrial economy.. a return to a truly progressive system of taxation, especially with respect to capital gains (excluding primary residence).. development of specific Canadian intellectual resources as the basis for non exploitive trade instead of the predatory post national system of Maquilladora and sweatshops that exist now.. a return to iterative constructive government management of the economy for the 'commonweal' by rejecting privatization, deregulation and austerity.. and a re-establishment of sovereign control of currency and credit by rescinding the devastating policies of monetarism (free markets is money).

These are all things that existed prior to the Free Market cult that has impoverished the world beginning in the 1970s. The policies that existed between 1946 and 1971 and produced the greatest period of equitably shared economic prosperity in Canadian history.

I see. So we print and borrow our way to prosperity and raise tariffs against the competition while expecting no treatment in kind. Brilliant.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
We don't need the government to provide us with a pension. They give us all the tools we need to provide us to look after ourselves ie RRSP, CPP, TFSA plus company pensions. OAS is just a waste of taxpayer money.. Can it !!

SOME OF US don't need the Gov't to provide us with a pension. Many people by nature are procrastinators and before they know it, they are already half way to pension age and don't have a nickel saved. My sister is 67 and still working and always about two weeks from destitution. It happens more often than you think. :smile:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
As for the redistribution of wealth and labour standards, I'm all for that via taxes and universal compulsory education for all. I could agree with more funding for education at the provincial level and native education federally. You can teach a man to fish, but you can't do more than that. You can lead a horse to water, but then he has to drink.

SOME OF US don't need the Gov't to provide us with a pension. Many people by nature are procrastinators and before they know it, they are already half way to pension age and don't have a nickel saved. My sister is 67 and still working and always about two weeks from destitution. It happens more often than you think. :smile:

And that's where some kind of compulsory saving programme might be in order.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
As for the redistribution of wealth and labour standards, I'm all for that via taxes and universal compulsory education for all. I could agree with more funding for education at the provincial level and native education federally. You can teach a man to fish, but you can't do more than that. You can lead a horse to water, but then he has to drink.

And that's where some kind of compulsory saving programme might be in order.
Compulsory savings don't work for people who are just making ends meet or less. Everything I had put aside vanished in the eleven year gap between on-the-job accident and when I finally got a disability pension....

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
No doubt many Republicans probably support US political, military, economic, and cultural hegemony, but let's not confuse world hegemony with world government. They are still distinct concepts.

The party is owned by the same parties who own all the parties. To really have efficient government you need hegemony.I don't think imperialism ever changes does it? Why are we considering concepts when we're surrounded by working models. If hegemony is governable then it isn't hegemony, I suspect the best governments are hegemonic monsters. I guess it depends on what's being governed, I'm assuming people. just suggesting arguments, trying to pick a fight,

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I'm not much into gov'ts that force people into anything. If people want to be stupid and not do anything about their retirement, it's up to them. Let charities and philanthropists take care of them.
If I thought the money would go towards something worthwhile, I'd pass on my OAP. The CPP is mine, made from my contributions, so they can't have it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm not much into gov'ts that force people into anything. If people want to be stupid and not do anything about their retirement, it's up to them. Let charities and philanthropists take care of them.
If I thought the money would go towards something worthwhile, I'd pass on my OAP. The CPP is mine, made from my contributions, so they can't have it.

The OAP is from your contributions too- just not quite as obvious! :smile: