Gun Control is Completely Useless.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
GUNTER: Here's how Trudeau's gun ban is about to get worse

Canada is about to get an “evergreen” gun ban.
Does that mean police officers will bring arrangements of pine boughs and ribbons when they come to seize firearms and all confiscation notices will be printed on spruce-scented paper?

No.

“Evergreening” is a term from the software industry. It refers to automatic updates that occur in the background, like when your smartphone’s operating system upgrades itself in the middle of the night while you’re in la-la land.

That might be convenient for computer technology. But when you’re talking about changes to a law that affects hundreds of thousands of Canadians, it’s undemocratic to say the least.

When your cellphone updates at 3:00 a.m., there is no chance you’ll wake up a criminal because of it.

But with the “evergreen” ban promised this week by Public Safety Minister Bill Blair, it’s possible to go to bed a fully law-abiding citizen and wake up in possession of illegal firearms.

And you will be given no advance warning. Nor will there be any debate or vote in Parliament.
Under Blair’s scheme, outlined at a virtual meeting of the House of Commons Standing Committee on Public Safety and National Security, the May 1 list of newly banned guns (9,500 models or variants, 400,000 individual guns) will be expanded to outlaw ever more firearms – constantly, quietly, without any public discussion.

As soon as the RCMP or a gaggle of Justice department bureaucrats decide to add an additional model or models to the banned list, it will be done with no more effort (or democratic legitimacy) than pressing the “Enter” button on a computer.

Blair told the committee the government needed an “evergreen process” to keep Canadians safe “because we know that the gun industry is agile and adept at bringing forward new models and variants in order to try to get around the rules.”

Yeah, right. It’s the gun industry who are the sneaky, dishonest ones.

ust as troubling as Blair’s pledge to authorize perpetually moving goalposts in the gun ban was his promise to create a “red-flag regime.”

Red-flag laws are sometimes – sometimes – well-intentioned. They enable health professional to break patient-confidentiality rules to report a gun owner with mental health issues who is a threat to themselves or others.

But there has already been a provision in Canadian law since 1995 authorizing family or professionals to report gun owners suspected of being public-safety threats. Whenever anyone calls the national firearms centre’s toll-free line, one of the options they can select has been “report a spousal or public safety concern.”

Unfortunately, this snitch line is frequently used by a divorcing spouse to cause his or her gun-owning spouse some legal grief.
Take the example of “Kassandra” (not her real name).

According to TheGunBlog.ca, the ex-husband of the 38-year-old mother of two told police he feared she would use her guns on herself or others.

In the middle of the night, three Toronto police officers used a master key to enter Kassandra’s condo without a warrant and without knocking.

They yanked her from her bed in her nightgown, coerced her into opening her gun safe and seized her legally owned and stored guns. (It will be very hard to get them back.)

Then she was handcuffed to a gurney and transported by ambulance to a Toronto hospital for a compulsory psych evaluation.
Blair’s new red-flag law is expected to expand the power to rat-out gun owners to friends, co-workers, neighbours and members of the community at large.

In other words, if you own a gun, make sure you don’t tick anyone off.

If you thought it was impossible for the Trudeau government’s May 1 ban to get any worse, think again.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/gunter-heres-how-trudeaus-gun-ban-is-about-to-get-worse

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
Well, the Liberals are getting an evergreen voter response. No matter what they do or say, I will be voting anything but Liberal. IF I feel a need to replace my conservative vote, I'll vote NDP.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Well, the Liberals are getting an evergreen voter response. No matter what they do or say, I will be voting anything but Liberal. IF I feel a need to replace my conservative vote, I'll vote NDP.
I got to that point somewhere during Cretiens tenure .

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
My family and friends only use firearms to put nourishment on their table. I love the taste of deer steak. how about you? In my opinion, kings and queens do not eat better than that.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
LILLEY: Trudeau promises to get tough on hunters after boy, 12, killed in gang shooting

Author of the article:
Brian Lilley
Publishing date:
Nov 14, 2020

Police investigate after a shooting at 25 Strong Ct. in North York on Saturday, Nov. 7, 2020. Photo by Veronica Henri /Toronto Sun/Postmedia Network

Article content

I’m not sure how the killers were able to get their hands on the guns that allowed them to shoot and kill a 12-year-old boy in North York last weekend.

But the two men accused of the deadly shooting — Jahwayne Smart, 25, and Rashawn Chambers, 24 — are both convicted criminals prohibited from owning firearms and the federal government banned all the dangerous guns last spring in their attempt to show they were tough on gun crime.

I’m not trying to be flippant, I’m reacting to the fact that another innocent bystander was gunned down – this time a child walking home from a grocery store with his mom – while the Trudeau government insists they are dealing with gun crime. Of course their idea of dealing with gun crimes is to seize guns, not deal with criminals, and the only guns they know how to seize are the ones owned by legal gun owners.

There have been 425 shootings so far this year in Toronto with 201 people being injured or killed. Despite Trudeau’s May 1 announcement that he would ban “military-style assault rifles,” shootings in the country’s largest city have not gone down. The city is on track to blow past last year’s record-high for shootings.

Despite the failure of this government, despite the fact that both of the accused were subject to gun bans, the first question that Trudeau faced on Friday at his news conference was on the issue of gun control and why he hasn’t brought in a handgun ban.

“Where is the legislation you promised?” the Toronto Star asked, as if a handgun ban on top of the bans imposed on both of the accused would have stopped this shooting.

“Obviously, our hearts go out to families who have been victims of gun violence,” Trudeau said, spouting the standard boilerplate comments politicians make. “We made a commitment to ban military-style assault weapons and we have.”

That will be cold comfort to the family of the little boy or any of the other people who have lost loved ones over the last year in Toronto or any other place where gun violence has erupted. Trudeau’s plan was never about dealing with gangsters who use guns to shoot up the streets, it was always about making the public feel they had done something about gun crime.

Taking guns away from licensed owners won’t stop gangsters though. Taking guns away from gangsters might, but that is difficult and so the government doesn’t act on that.

Despite promising more than $250 million to deal with gun crime in the last election, that money has not been spent. The gun ban was announced though, effectively making many of the more than two million legal and licensed gun owners into criminals with the stroke of a pen without doing a thing to stop gun crime.

Last Saturday’s shooting not only saw an innocent boy killed, but as my colleague Joe Warmington has reported, the gang members targeting their rivals were using guns with over-capacity magazines, which are illegal in Canada. And video of the shooting shows clear signs the gunmen were using automatic weapons, something banned since the 1970s in Canada.

Yet somehow Trudeau is trying to tell the public he is dealing with the issue of gun crime.

He is doing nothing of the sort. What he is doing is trying to distract a public worried about the very real issue of shootings in our streets by telling licensed gun owners they are the problem.

If Trudeau and his Liberal government really care about stopping gun violence, they should focus on the criminals and not legal gun owners going to the range or hunting on the weekends.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/colu...vIrF-x6hEqOzIHy1ibRQoTntZfP0XW8DN_Q7WXFCMFSgo

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
LILLEY: Trudeau promises to get tough on hunters after boy, 12, killed in gang shooting

Author of the article:
Brian Lilley
Publishing date:
Nov 14, 2020

Police investigate after a shooting at 25 Strong Ct. in North York on Saturday, Nov. 7, 2020. Photo by Veronica Henri /Toronto Sun/Postmedia Network

Article content

I’m not sure how the killers were able to get their hands on the guns that allowed them to shoot and kill a 12-year-old boy in North York last weekend.

But the two men accused of the deadly shooting — Jahwayne Smart, 25, and Rashawn Chambers, 24 — are both convicted criminals prohibited from owning firearms and the federal government banned all the dangerous guns last spring in their attempt to show they were tough on gun crime.

I’m not trying to be flippant, I’m reacting to the fact that another innocent bystander was gunned down – this time a child walking home from a grocery store with his mom – while the Trudeau government insists they are dealing with gun crime. Of course their idea of dealing with gun crimes is to seize guns, not deal with criminals, and the only guns they know how to seize are the ones owned by legal gun owners.

There have been 425 shootings so far this year in Toronto with 201 people being injured or killed. Despite Trudeau’s May 1 announcement that he would ban “military-style assault rifles,” shootings in the country’s largest city have not gone down. The city is on track to blow past last year’s record-high for shootings.

Despite the failure of this government, despite the fact that both of the accused were subject to gun bans, the first question that Trudeau faced on Friday at his news conference was on the issue of gun control and why he hasn’t brought in a handgun ban.

“Where is the legislation you promised?” the Toronto Star asked, as if a handgun ban on top of the bans imposed on both of the accused would have stopped this shooting.

“Obviously, our hearts go out to families who have been victims of gun violence,” Trudeau said, spouting the standard boilerplate comments politicians make. “We made a commitment to ban military-style assault weapons and we have.”

That will be cold comfort to the family of the little boy or any of the other people who have lost loved ones over the last year in Toronto or any other place where gun violence has erupted. Trudeau’s plan was never about dealing with gangsters who use guns to shoot up the streets, it was always about making the public feel they had done something about gun crime.

Taking guns away from licensed owners won’t stop gangsters though. Taking guns away from gangsters might, but that is difficult and so the government doesn’t act on that.

Despite promising more than $250 million to deal with gun crime in the last election, that money has not been spent. The gun ban was announced though, effectively making many of the more than two million legal and licensed gun owners into criminals with the stroke of a pen without doing a thing to stop gun crime.

Last Saturday’s shooting not only saw an innocent boy killed, but as my colleague Joe Warmington has reported, the gang members targeting their rivals were using guns with over-capacity magazines, which are illegal in Canada. And video of the shooting shows clear signs the gunmen were using automatic weapons, something banned since the 1970s in Canada.

Yet somehow Trudeau is trying to tell the public he is dealing with the issue of gun crime.

He is doing nothing of the sort. What he is doing is trying to distract a public worried about the very real issue of shootings in our streets by telling licensed gun owners they are the problem.

If Trudeau and his Liberal government really care about stopping gun violence, they should focus on the criminals and not legal gun owners going to the range or hunting on the weekends.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/colu...vIrF-x6hEqOzIHy1ibRQoTntZfP0XW8DN_Q7WXFCMFSgo
He would have to mention the unspeakable word . Immigrant . Can I say that ?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
He would have to mention the unspeakable word . Immigrant . Can I say that ?
I don't see where it mentions that they're immigrants, but from the below I'm assuming they aren't licensed gun owners:

Rashawn Chambers, 24, of Toronto, now faces the following 29 charges:
1) one count of First Degree Murder
2) five counts of Attempted Murder
3) three counts of Aggravated Assault
4) five counts of Discharge Firearm with Intent Wound, Endanger Life or Prevent Arrest
5) three counts of Possession of Firearm Without a Licence
6) three counts Possession of Loaded Firearm
7) two counts of Unauthorized Possession Of Motor Vehicle
8) Possession Of a Loaded Prohibited Firearm
9) Unauthorized Possession Of A Firearm
10) Possession of a Firearm Knowing Its Possession Is Unauthorized
11) Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Firearm Knowing Its Possession Is Prohibited
12) Possession of Property Obtained By Crime Over $5000.00
13) two counts of Possession Of Firearm Contrary to Prohibition Order

Jahwayne Smart, 25, of no fixed address, now faces the following 30 charges:
4) five counts of Discharge Firearm with Intent Wound, Endanger Life or Prevent Arrest
5) three counts Possession Of Firearm Without A Licence
6) three counts of Possession Of Loaded Firearm
8) Possession of a Loaded Prohibited Firearm
11) Possession of a Prohibited Or Restricted Firearm Knowing Its Possession Is Prohibited
13) two counts of Possession Of Firearm Contrary To Prohibition Order
14) Possession of Firearm with Altered Serial Number

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I don't see where it mentions that they're immigrants, but from the below I'm assuming they aren't licensed gun owners:
Rashawn Chambers, 24, of Toronto, now faces the following 29 charges:
5) three counts of Possession of Firearm Without a Licence
6) three counts Possession of Loaded Firearm
8) Possession Of a Loaded Prohibited Firearm
11) Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Firearm Knowing Its Possession Is Prohibited
13) two counts of Possession Of Firearm Contrary to Prohibition Order
Jahwayne Smart, 25, of no fixed address, now faces the following 30 charges:
5) three counts Possession Of Firearm Without A Licence
6) three counts of Possession Of Loaded Firearm
8) Possession of a Loaded Prohibited Firearm
11) Possession of a Prohibited Or Restricted Firearm Knowing Its Possession Is Prohibited
13) two counts of Possession Of Firearm Contrary To Prohibition Order
14) Possession of Firearm with Altered Serial Number
Jahwayne and Rashawn.

White kids from Etobicoke. Sounds Polish to me. You?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Jamaican. Settled by Irish but it was too hot.
Irish transportees were first brought to Jamaica in large numbers as indentured servants under the English republic of Oliver Cromwell following the capture of Jamaica from the Spanish in 1655 by William Pen and Robert Venables as part of Cromwell's strategic plan to dominate the Caribbean: the "Western Design".

I learn something new everyday here. So I might have been partially right somehow with my guess. Might explain the surnames of Smart & Chambers and also might explain some of the few pale redheaded Cubans I've met perhaps as Jamaica to Cuba isn't a bit stretch. Those poor bastards in that climate are so prone to skin cancer with their fair complexions.

Poor Rashawn & Jahwayne. Maybe the heatwave in Ontario until recently combined with Melanoma made them do it. I can see where a dirty sunburn would make someone go buy prohibited weapons on the black market with overcapacity magazines not available for sale in Canada and file off the serial#'s before going on a drive-by shooting. Just connecting the dots (freckles?).

This Justin'ifies the recent gun legislation against legal firearms owners & the Carbon Tax at the same time!! That'll learn us all from being Jamaican/Irish Gang Bangers in Toronto with prohibited (since before Rashawn & Jahwayne where born) weapons with overcapacity magazines. I've learned my lesson whatever it is I guess.