Gun Control is Completely Useless.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Yep Alberta generates the most wealth in GDP so they pay in the most, (residual money above the cost of services and power to generate wealth ), I have said this a few times on different threads, it doesn't change the fact that the excess wealth isn't transferred and Ont. and Quebec benefit the most.
From your article
Rubbish.

"Alberta generates most wealth in GDP"

Total nonsense.

GDP per Province ...

http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-richest-provinces-and-territories-of-canada.html

Last edited:

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Rubbish.
"Alberta generates most wealth in GDP"
Total nonsense.

LINK

The Economies of the provinces of Newfoundland, Saskatchewan, and Alberta rely heavily on natural resources and these are the regions in the country with the highest per capita GDP values.

Alberta
Alberta is a province in west of Canada and has a population of 4,196,457 people according to the estimates of 2015. It is the 4th most populous province in the country and the most populous of the three prairies provinces of Canada. The economy of Alberta is one of the strongest in the world supported by the petroleum industry, technology, and Agriculture. The per capita GDP of Alberta in 2013 exceeded that of US, Norway or Switzerland and was the highest of all the provinces of Canada standing at CAD$84,390. The figures exceeded the country’s average of CAD$ 53,870. In 2006 the difference from the national average was the largest recorded in any province in the history of Canada. The median annual family income in Alberta was CAD$70,986 after taxes, while the country’s average was CAD$60,270. In 2015, the province had per capita GDP of CAD$ 78,100 and the GDP for the province was CAD$ 326,433 million.

The Top 10 Richest Provinces in Canada

Alberta – C$78,154
Alberta is a province in the western section of Canada. It is the most populous ofthe three Prairie Provinces. The capital of the province is Edmonton, though thelargest city is Calgary. It is the main supply and service hub of oil sands. It is alsoconsidered as a major transportation and distribution hub. It also has a significanttourism industry. The GDP per capita of the province is C$78,154.

Saskatchewan – C$70,654
Saskatchewan is a prairie province with a huge part of its area covered by rivers,reservoirs, lakes and ponds. The capital of the province is Regina. Other majorcities include Prince Albert, Swift Current, North Battleford, Yorkton and Moose Jaw.Agriculture, mining and energy dominate the provincial economy. Wheat is the mostcommon crop and the province is known for supplying most of the country’s grain.Saskatchewan is also the largest exporter of potash and uranium in the world. There is also a huge oil industry that is surpassed only by Alberta. The GDP per capita of the province is C$70,654.

Ontario is # 4 and Quebec # 7

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
How about per capita the way the transfer payments work CC?
How about adding it up? Get a calculator out, if you need to.

Did you know that from Confederation until the mid 1980s, Ontario transferred money to Alberta, every year. Was that wrong?

Was it the right thing to do as a country? Right if we send it to Alberta, wrong if Albera sends down East ...

Victimeps.

Look at the horrible things that Canada has done to Alberta!

Them hurtin' Albertan tough guys!

VICTIMS !!

... except sheypn THEY need the transfer because they're all tough guys.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
How about adding it up? Get a calculator out, if you need to.
Did you know that from Confederation until the mid 1980s, Ontario transferred money to Alberta, every year. Was that wrong?
Was it the right thing to do as a country? Right if we send it to Alberta, wrong if Albera sends down East ...
Victimeps.
Look at the horrible things that Canada has done to Alberta!
Them hurtin' Albertan tough guys!
VICTIMS !!
... except sheypn THEY need the transfer because they're all tough guys.

Again from your article

A formal system of equalization payments was first introduced in 1957.[3][Notes 1]
The original program had the goal of giving each province the same per capita revenue as the two wealthiest provinces, Ontario and British Columbia, in three tax bases: personal income taxes, corporate income taxes and succession duties (inheritance taxes). Five years later, 50 per cent of natural resource revenues were included as the fourth tax base. At the same time, however, the standard of the two wealthiest provinces was lowered to the national average. In 1967 the system was redesigned to work with every government revenue scheme with the exception of energy; this gave Canada by far the world's most generous system of equalization payments.
The rise in energy prices and the resulting increase in provincial natural resource royalties in the late 1970s created several problems for the equalization formula. The need for amendments to the formula became clear when the traditional "have" province of Ontario qualified for equalization payments in 1978. This result went against the spirit of the system and would have led to substantial costs for the federal government; it was agreed that Ontario should be excluded from receiving payments. In 1982, the equalization standard was shifted from the national average to the average of the five "representative" provinces: British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec

Is Alberta really getting shafted on equalization payments? We talked to an expert

The first myth is that there are perennial makers and takers. In fact, while Alberta has not received equalization payments since the 1950s, every province has been a recipient at some point.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Does Saskatoon qualify as a city in SK?

A couple of Aussies are sitting in a train station in Melbourne, and they see another couple of guys wearing black and red checked jackets, sporting beards, obviously trying to figure out the train schedule.

'I wonder where they're from?" says one aussie to the other.

"I don't know, I'll go ask" says the other, and approaches their table.

"G'day. My Mate and I were wondering where you're from?"

"Saskatoon, Saskatchewan" answers the man.

"Ok", says the Aussie, and returns to his table.

"Well, where are they from?" asks the other.

"I don't know. They don't speak English"

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Better blame Kenny for setting up the current robbery, then.
What a pile of hooey.

So I take it you are done edjumicating me?

One last thing from the last article

“When Alberta says they want to re-examine and reopen discussions about equalization, don’t be surprised when the have-less provinces say, ‘Yeah, let’s reopen the discussions about why you receive the extra billion dollars in healthcare funding.’”
That said, there is no disputing Albertans send more money to Ottawa than our provincial government gets back in federal transfers, programs and services.
Wesley said it’s hard to make an exact calculation, but for the past few decades Albertans have gotten roughly between 60 and 70 cents back on the dollar from what we send to Ottawa.
Prince Edward Island, meanwhile, gets about $1.25 in federal transfer programs and services for every dollar its taxpayers send to the feds.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Southern Ontario, Toronto area is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't wan to live there..
Nowhere south of North Bay.......

What would be three nice things about Toronto? (I was going to say one but I suppose you have to count proximity to shopping and sports).

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.