Greek Orthodox Church destroyed on 9/11 still not rebuilt...

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Greek Orthodox Church At Ground Zero Destroyed on 9/11: Still Not Rebuilt – IndyPosted

I am always amazed at the lack of news coverage in comparison to the "plight of the Mosque" at ground zero for one little church which was destroyed on 9/11 at the site of the terrorist attack.

One would think they have priority - but the funding seems to be heavily outweighed by the Muslim people in
the U.S. and middle east where money seems to flow towards the U.S. like water into a parched lake.

Just in the past few days the head of the Greek Orthodox Church is being televised with his plight because
he is now being DENIED his rebuilding of the destroyed church - when the Mosque is taking precedence.

This has many people very upset and some higher ups are being taken to the cleaners on it. About time.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
EagleSmack

Muslims are more elevated that Greek Orthodoxy? How does that figure into loving ALL religions in the world of PC? Jus askin...

My issue is the fact the Greek Orthodox Church was bombed from its land on 9/11. No mosque was part of the landscape which was demolished.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I agree. We just can't make muslims too upset. It just isn't PC. The Greeks? Meh...who cares.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
You got to show the Muslims love and tolerance no matter what.

But the Greek Orthodoxies...whatev...build it on Long Island.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
While I agree that since St. Nicholas had a place by the twin towers before 9/11 and therefore should also have a place there in he reconstruction, I find the article to be very biased. It mentions at the beginning that the proposed "mosque" is slated for "at" ground zero, and then the correction later that it is "near" ground zero. 2 completely different locations.

Instead of playing the "they can why can't we" game, it should be found out WHY the Port Authority is giving the run around to something that SHOULD be basically rubber stamped. Put the blame where it belongs.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
To me the question is this: where is the money coming from for both projects? If its through sponsours/fundraising, then the Greek Orthodoxes sound like they need to get the lead out. If there is a discrepancy in public funding for the two projects (i.e they are not being treated the same... and hopefully that means neither one is getting tax dollars but thats not my jurisdiction so...) then thats the only reason the gov't should be held to account.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
It goes back to the great schism between Orthodox christianity and catholisicm. Even though most of America is protostant, Othodox christianity has always been left in the dark and forgotten by other christian denominations :(..

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
To me the question is this: where is the money coming from for both projects? If its through sponsours/fundraising, then the Greek Orthodoxes sound like they need to get the lead out. If there is a discrepancy in public funding for the two projects (i.e they are not being treated the same... and hopefully that means neither one is getting tax dollars but thats not my jurisdiction so...) then thats the only reason the gov't should be held to account.

Which is a whole other story. The Iman for this new center is now jet setting his way to Saudi Arabia and Iran and has stated he will get the money from whereever he chooses to get it.

By the way...his fund raising tour of the Middle East is being subsidized with tax payer money.

We truly are idiots down here at times.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Seems silly...given what the port authority promised for the land and then the deal falling to piece makes me think their is more to this story.

A story btw that never would have been written had it not been for the Mosque being built a few blocks away.

A little PC, a little grand standing, a little bigotry.....sad.:roll:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
As I understand the funding to rebuild the Greek Othodox Church was coming from the Port Authority who had already portioned out their compensation however the Authority have never submitted the funds so the Church can begin reconstruction.

The Mosque is being funded by wealthy off-shore interests.

Avro you speak volumes when you state that the possible construction of a mosque has brought interest in other things the Port Authority has bypassed. Eight years and very little has been accomplished. Perhaps they have used up the funding for other areas - which would be illegal I think.

I wonder if the money promised for the mosque construction would solve some problems the P of A is having ???

I often look for the financial sources or issues when there are "problems" in society in all things.

People have been able to "buy" their way "in or out" in many cases in our modern world - in all nations.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I noticed that the muslims are out collecting money for their church, which by the way is not on the WTC site just close by. If the Greeks want a new church they can find the money the same way.
The port Authority like all government agencies will spend 2/3 of the money in administration and not finish the job because of lack of funds.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I personally don't see any connection between the two circumstances at all. They are completely different situations altogether. And honestly, who cares where the money comes from. A Saudi Prince owns a fair chunk of News Corp. Foreign Direct Investment is about one sixth of US GDP...