Gender Neutral Anthem? REALLY?

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
However the article goes on to say it was changed in 1913... Now maybe its just me, but it seems to me it was reworded to HONOUR our soldiers that fought in the first world war .

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
John Groves ‏@jfgroves

Hey @TorontoStar. Will you be updating this old article? Here, I helped you get started.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2010/04/11/chorus_of_emails_saved_our_national_anthem.html

and now the version in french please. ;-)

courtesy of the old comments section:

I think we should adopt the literal translation of the French version as the official anthem:

O Canada!
Land of our forefathers,
Thy brow is wreathed with a glorious garland of flowers.
As is thy arm ready to wield the sword,
So also is it ready to carry the cross.
Thy history is an epic
Of the most brilliant exploits.
Thy valour steeped in faith
Will protect our homes and our rights.
Will protect our homes and our rights.

... and we can accuse anybody of not wanting this version to be the official O Canada of being anti-French.

So let me get this straight: we have to change "in all thy sons' command" because it isn't gender-neutral, but in French they can keep the part about Canada's arm knowing "how to carry the sword and the cross"?

Isn't the French version insensitive to all the peace-loving hippies and all the non-Christians out there? Isn't it all a little bit Crusadery?

Aren't we going to offend the poor little lambs of ISIS and all the freedom-hating terrorists who now call Canada home? Isn't this terrible terpsichorean abuse going to 'trigger' them or something? Can't we offer them a safe space from such violent imagery?

Oh, lawdy lawd, can't we please get rid, once and for all, of Canada's horrible, heart-rending devotion to warmongering and god-bothering?

/sarc off, obviously.

I can't even watch the disgusting spectacle in Parliament. Of course, I feel the same way every time that revolting little communist or his babbling fart-catchers open their mouths

In All Thy Gender Neutral Command - Small Dead Animals

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
O Canada Bill about to pass final vote

About time.

It's 2016 for crying out loud.

O Canada bill championed by Mauril Bélanger, MP with ALS, advances to final vote

Feelings ran high this afternoon as Mauril Bélanger, the veteran Liberal MP whose health is rapidly deteriorating from ALS, returned to the Commons to ensure his private member's bill to change the English lyrics of O Canada advanced to its final vote.

A motion to accept the bill at report stage, which required Bélanger to be present, carried on a voice vote.

MPs gave a standing ovation for the veteran MP, who was seated in a wheelchair near the Speaker's chair on the floor of the Commons.

Five MPs then spoke during its final debate at third reading. Once that concluded, the Speaker announced the bill will have its final vote next Wednesday. It's expected to pass easily and proceed to the Senate.

Many MPs stood again to applaud, some visibly emotional as they bit their lips, looked up and wiped tears.

O Canada bill championed by Mauril Bélanger, MP with ALS, advances to final vote - Politics - CBC News

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
This argument has been had before.

The argument about government finances and productivity is a red herring designed to cover up thinly-veiled opposition to equitable treatment of people of all genders. Bill C-210, An Act to amend the National Anthem (gender), would cost nothing to implement; and, in fact, a private member's bill cannot force the Government to incur costs without a recommendation from the Governor General, on the advice of a minister, and this has not happened.

The Standing Orders of the House of Commons set aside time for considering private members' business; that time cannot be used for Government business (such as bills to invest money in housing-insecure veterans, health care, or education). That one hour, on each day, is always going to be dedicated to expense-free private member's bills, like C-210, whether this particular bill was proposed or not. So let us stop pretending that your opposition to the bill is about prioritizing Government business, and concern for the public purse, and acknowledge instead that your opposition is to the substance of the bill: that you think that we should perpetuate the idea that men have played a more important role in building this country than women.

Know what, some times I really think you are on crack. What the fu ck does our national anthem have to do with the equitable treatment of fu cking females. Absofu ckinglutley nothing. It's a fu cking waste of money and resources.

And to top it off, this fu cking jacka$$ is using his illness to push the bill. REAL fu cking low.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Know what, some times I really think you are on crack. What the fu ck does our national anthem have to do with the equitable treatment of fu cking females. Absofu ckinglutley nothing. It's a fu cking waste of money and resources.

And to top it off, this fu cking jacka$$ is using his illness to push the bill. REAL fu cking low.

Easy, Gerry...................you don't want to have a stroke! There's worse sh*t happening in the country!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Easy, Gerry...................you don't want to have a stroke! There's worse sh*t happening in the country!

That's right, there is, and what are 5P's buddies doing? Making the National Anthem gender neutral because we all know it is THE biggest problem we are facing today. :roll:

Fu cking useless bunch of idiots. The environment minister is a prime example.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Fu cking useless bunch of idiots. The environment minister is a prime example.

I think you are being a little harsh with her, Ger. She appears to have a fairly extensive background, albeit it appears she was raised by a somewhat controlling father!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I think you are being a little harsh with her, Ger. She appears to have a fairly extensive background, albeit it appears she was raised by a somewhat controlling father!

and what does how she was raised have to do with anything? If you are expecting me to give her some kind of pass, think again. If she can't do the job, then she should get the fu ck out. I don't give a rats a$$ what her or anyone else's excuse is.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
It has been changed before quite a few times and the last time was not all that long ago. As a result I dont really care if they change it again.

That's right, there is, and what are 5P's buddies doing? Making the National Anthem gender neutral because we all know it is THE biggest problem we are facing today. :roll:

It was a private members bill. Its not like the government went in planning on making the change. Any member can introduce a bill and when they do it gets debated. Some pass, some don. Thats how the system works.

Ha, I remember when that happened. I wouldnt have minded if it had been changed then either.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
and what does how she was raised have to do with anything? If you are expecting me to give her some kind of pass, think again. If she can't do the job, then she should get the fu ck out. I don't give a rats a$$ what her or anyone else's excuse is.

You're touching on something I've been concerned about all along. Filling jobs with concern about gender rather than concern about ability.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
If you can drill the hole in the right place, I don't care about any gender agenda you may be entertaining. If my bolts thread on to your nuts we,re attached. You fullfi8lled your commitment and may progress.

What sort of machine were we building?

You're touching on something I've been concerned about all along. Filling jobs with concern about gender rather than concern about ability.

I live in fear of the next life, I'm to be a woman. I don't think I have the strength. Already my fate taunts me, I can,t back up anymore..

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
If you can drill the hole in the right place, I don't care about any gender agenda you may be entertaining. If my bolts thread on to your nuts we,re attached. You fullfi8lled your commitment and may progress.

What sort of machine were we building?

I live in fear of the next life, I'm to be a woman. I don't think I have the strength. Already my fate taunts me, I can,t back up anymore..

I'll be the biggest wh0re in town ....

(... typical male imagining reincarnation as a female ...)

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Gender-neutral anthem bill passes third reading
THE CANADIAN PRESS
First posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2016 06:52 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, June 15, 2016 09:14 PM EDT
OTTAWA -- Ailing Liberal MP Mauril Belanger was in the House of Commons today as his private member's bill to render O Canada more gender neutral cleared one final hurdle.
The legislation still requires the approval of the Senate, however, which means Belanger -- who was diagnosed last November with Lou Gehrig's disease -- may not live to see it become law.
Bill C-210, which would change the second line of the anthem from "true patriot love, in all thy sons command" to "in all of us command," passed third and final reading in the Commons by a margin of 225-74.
As the vote began, Liberal MPs stood and applauded Belanger, who sat in the House in his wheelchair. Many flashed him a thumbs-up sign, his trademark gesture, as their votes were registered.
When it was done, the entire House broke into an impromptu rendition of O Canada, as well as a rousing standing ovation.
The anthem change has been a Belanger cause for years, but took on far greater urgency in recent months after it was confirmed he has an incurable, fatal, neurodegenerative condition also known as ALS.
Belanger ran and easily won election for a seventh time in October, but found he was having difficulty speaking during the final weeks of the long campaign. He went public with his condition at the end of November, saying he would drop out of the race to be Speaker of the Commons, a position he had long coveted.
Belanger's disease is a particularly aggressive version of ALS -- a fact made plain by the alarming rate at which his condition appeared to erode.
By January, when he introduced his bill, he had lost his ability to speak, and so needed a voice generator to convert text into computerized speech -- the first use of such technology in the Commons.
In March, he was named honorary Speaker. He shuffled down the corridors of the Centre Block using a walker. He had to be helped into the chair. He presided using a tablet and, at one point, mopped tears from his eyes.
In early May, he used the iPad again to open second reading of his bill. He seemed noticeably thinner. His collar was loose to accommodate a tube inserted in his throat to help him breathe and keep his lungs clear of fluid.
The Conservatives opposed the bill on the grounds that important pieces of the national heritage shouldn't be trifled with. If they are changed, it should be with broad consent of Canadians, they argued.
However, a number of Tory MPs -- Gerry Ritz, Peter Kent, Michelle Rempel and Candice Bergen, among others -- voted to support the legislation.
Belanger has said the change would actually return the anthem closer to the original "thou dost in us command" -- wording that was changed to "all thy sons" in 1913, presumably to honour men in the armed forces at the approach of the First World War.
Since then, Belanger said, women have won the right to vote, to run for office and to die in combat as members of the military and the anthem should not slight half the population.
The Conservatives tried to resurrect "thou dost in us command" in the 2010 speech from the throne, only to face strong public opposition. They dropped the idea.
Gender-neutral anthem bill passes third reading | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
A lot of people say they'll just go on singing the old anthem, but your kids and your grand kids will learn the new one. They won't think anything of it and in a few decades you'll just look like an old sexist dinosaur.