Gender Neutral Anthem? REALLY?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
How is "all thy us command" proper english? It doesn't sound right. All thy people command would be better ... all though that does discriminate against dogs.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
Side note, I remember the oh Canada lyrics changing in the 80s or 70s but I can't remember what line was changed. Anyone know? I've already checked Wikipedia but there is no mention of it.

This doesn't surprise me. I also remember the Scout promise including "...and my fellow countrymen..." yet there is no record of the Scout promise being different in the 1980s.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I just saw a clip from Global News about a private member's bill to be debated about changing our National Anthem to a Gender Neutral Anthem. Now I did listen to the article, and when the song was originally written it did not say "in all our sons command" However the article goes on to say it was changed in 1913... Now maybe its just me, but it seems to me it was reworded to HONOUR our soldiers that fought in the first world war. With that being said... This dumb *** in quebec feels that it should be changed back to more of the original wording. Sure.. Lets just do that and look at the people that it was changed for and go piss on their graves... You know who I'm talking about... The soldiers that died in World War 1. Lets just slap them in the face and say, Thanks for coming out, but it appears we have offended someone with our anthem that was changed to HONOUR YOU. I have said it before, and I will say it again, People need to realize that being offeneded is a part of every day life, I'm offended by having to pay for a foot bath in a public university so Muslims can wash their feet. I'm not muslim wtf do I care about them having to wash their feet, tell them to pay for their own damned footbath. I'm offended that idiots like Justin Trudeau can go on to TV and say and I quote, "Canada Made their choice for a Liberal Government". When in fact he should have said it like it truely is, Ontario and Quebed made the choice. Lets really start to realize that I DON'T GIVE A DAMN if I offend someone, Here is a hammer, some nails, some wood... Build a bridge and get over it.

I'm sorry, It appears my give a crap is broken and I am not paying to get it fixed.
Have a great day all.

Correction. Ontario MP, not a Québec MP.

As for myself, blah, the Brits have the right idea: no official anthem. To each his own.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
National Post Verified account ‏@nationalpost

.@acoyne: Behold the literal-minded citizens who triumphed in rewriting our national anthem http://natpo.st/1UkpfZB

They certainly will now.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Side note, I remember the oh Canada lyrics changing in the 80s or 70s but I can't remember what line was changed. Anyone know? I've already checked Wikipedia but there is no mention of it.

This doesn't surprise me. I also remember the Scout promise including "...and my fellow countrymen..." yet there is no record of the Scout promise being different in the 1980s.

edit: according to the government, the anthem became official in 1980. So maybe it wasn't changed so much as it was standardized.

http://canada.pch.gc.ca/eng/1443808632942/1443808632944

As per this law:

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/N-2/index.html

If they changed the lyrics, as they did just now, they would have had to pass a law.

Last edited:

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
edit: according to the government, the anthem became official in 1980. So maybe it wasn't changed so much as it was standardized.

Full history of “O Canada”

As per this law:

National Anthem Act

If they changed the lyrics, as they did just now, they would have had to pass a law.
Thanks for trying to help me out. I remember learning and singing -in BC public schools - a different version. Then in about grade 5, there was a big deal about singing different lyrics. This much I remember and dont believe that I could be making this up.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Thanks for trying to help me out. I remember learning and singing -in BC public schools - a different version. Then in about grade 5, there was a big deal about singing different lyrics. This much I remember and dont believe that I could be making this up.

I was in BC public schools in the 90s but I do remember learning the French version at about grade 4/5. Maybe that was the change you're remembering....

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
I was in BC public schools in the 90s but I do remember learning the French version at about grade 4/5. Maybe that was the change you're remembering....

No. It was much earlier than that. I remember it being in elementary school. I had already been singing it for several years

. It couldnt have been in the 90s.at the risk of sounding old,I graduated in 87.

My best guess is the ,"we stand on guard for thee" lyric is repetitive, it is sung three times. Perhaps one of the lines was "from sea to shining sea".

Frankiedoodle

Electoral Member
Aug 21, 2015
Saskatchewan
My daughter just sent me a message regarding the gender neutral anthem. My 4 1/2 year old grand-daughter thinks that it should be changed also. She doesn't think that it should be "thy son's command". She doesn't like boys yet so she sang it for me with "thy girl's command"

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
My daughter just sent me a message regarding the gender neutral anthem. My 4 1/2 year old grand-daughter thinks that it should be changed also. She doesn't think that it should be "thy son's command". She doesn't like boys yet so she sang it for me with "thy girl's command"

i'll go for that, lol

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
a radical feminazi in the making. :( ;)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
No. It was much earlier than that. I remember it being in elementary school. I had already been singing it for several years

. It couldnt have been in the 90s.at the risk of sounding old,I graduated in 87.

My best guess is the ,"we stand on guard for thee" lyric is repetitive, it is sung three times. Perhaps one of the lines was "from sea to shining sea".

Or from "Sea to shining seas".

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Majority oppose change to O Canada: Poll
By Shawn Jeffords, Political Bureau Chief
First posted: Friday, July 08, 2016 07:06 PM EDT | Updated: Friday, July 08, 2016 07:13 PM EDT
Voters say the Ottawa’s push to make O Canada gender neutral is off-key, according to a poll.

A Forum Research survey — provided exclusively to the Toronto Sun — found half of 1,429 Canadians polled disapprove of changing “in all thy sons command” to “in all of us command.”

Only 35% agreed with the move.

And if the re-write of the national anthem was intended to appeal to female voters, it looks like it missed the mark, says Forum’s President Lorne Bozinoff.

“It is apparent the gender-balanced approach to governance may have skipped a beat when even a plurality of females (45%) prefers the old lyrics to the new (36%),” he said.

The move appears most popular with the youngest of the survey respondents, with 38% approving. Perhaps not surprisingly, nearly half of Liberal supporters polled approved of the change (47%), while Conservative voters overwhelmingly disapproved.

Liberal MP Mauril Belanger introduced a private member’s bill earlier this year to replace the line in the English version of the anthem. Belanger, a longtime Ottawa MP, has seen his health deteriorate since he learned last fall he has an incurable and fatal neurogenerative disease called amyotrophic lateral sclerosis — also known as ALS, or Lou Gehrig’s disease.

The Conservatives thwarted an attempt to pass the bill quickly in early May, which had Liberals accusing their rivals of taking away the chance for Belanger to see his bill pass while he is still able to enjoy it.

In the end, the Liberal government and NDP voted in favour of Belanger’s bill and it passed in early June. It will now head to the Senate in the fall.

The poll, conducted on July 5, was an interactive telephone survey of 1,429 Canadian voters. Forum considers the results accurate within 3%, 19 times out of 20.

— With files from The Canadian Press.

sjeffords@postmedia.com
Majority oppose change to O Canada: Poll | Home | Toronto Sun

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Majority oppose change to O Canada: Poll
By Shawn Jeffords, Political Bureau Chief
First posted: Friday, July 08, 2016 07:06 PM EDT | Updated: Friday, July 08, 2016 07:13 PM EDT
Voters say the Ottawa’s push to make O Canada gender neutral is off-key, according to a poll.

A Forum Research survey — provided exclusively to the Toronto Sun — found half of 1,429 Canadians polled disapprove of changing “in all thy sons command” to “in all of us command.”

Only 35% agreed with the move.

There's "bigger fish to fry".....................people should learn to leave well enough alone! :)

Last edited: