English Bay BC, May 16 2023

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Barclay & Thurlow - used to walk to work down Davy street which was quite the experience for sure! All kinds of interesting people, including some trans people who would be coming home after a night of who knows what. This was in the 70's and boy, was it a fun time.

Yes .the seventies... what an era that was. Same time frame for me. Did you see the barge that ended up in English Bay ?? I made a special trip to see it.;-)
Remember the wonderful sunsets on EB??? Awesome.

Reactions: 55Mercury

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Yes .the seventies... what an era that was. Same time frame for me. Did you see the barge that ended up in English Bay ?? I made a special trip to see it.;-)
Remember the wonderful sunsets on EB??? Awesome.
I don't recall that particular situation but I didn't live there very long. I moved to Vancouver in 1971 or 72 and moved to Calgary in 1974. My brother got married in Calgary and my husband was a best man and I was a bridesmaid. We got together after the wedding & eventually got married and ta da - we'll be celebrating 47 years in July. Who'd a thunk he'd put up with me that long LOL. If it wasn't for that, I'd likely still be living in Vancouver or thereabouts anyway.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
I always thought BC would be a great place to retire. But the place I thought most picturesque in my limited travels was Vernon. But you can do a google street view visit of the place and it's just your typical urban sprawl. Same goes with another place I travelled through in the summer of '72 (at 17) - St. Cloud, Minnesota. Like Vernon, it was so damn pretty, yet your google street view tour will get you the same "progress" showing urban malls and acres of parking lots. Sad really.

Lived in the Gastown Hotel after I exhausted all my allowed stay in Vancouver's 7 or 8 transient hostels at the time. Delivered flyers for Peachy Advertising. Got to deliver free samples to homes all over the lower mainland, like Irish Spring soap, and Dr. Pepper - new products back then.

Lived in the Yale Hotel for a number of months while I worked at CPR's Drake St. roundhouse and maintenance shops. Saw Canned Heat play in a little hall above the stores on Granville, called The Commodore. yep, definitely had the time of my life there.

I better stop or I'm apt to get on a train. lol

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I always thought BC would be a great place to retire. But the place I thought most picturesque in my limited travels was Vernon. But you can do a google street view visit of the place and it's just your typical urban sprawl. Same goes with another place I travelled through in the summer of '72 (at 17) - St. Cloud, Minnesota. Like Vernon, it was so damn pretty, yet your google street view tour will get you the same "progress" showing urban malls and acres of parking lots. Sad really.

Lived in the Gastown Hotel after I exhausted all my allowed stay in Vancouver's 7 or 8 transient hostels at the time. Delivered flyers for Peachy Advertising. Got to deliver free samples to homes all over the lower mainland, like Irish Spring soap, and Dr. Pepper - new products back then.

Lived in the Yale Hotel for a number of months while I worked at CPR's Drake St. roundhouse and maintenance shops. Saw Canned Heat play in a little hall above the stores on Granville, called The Commodore. yep, definitely had the time of my life there.

I better stop or I'm apt to get on a train. lol
The Commodometer Ballroom hosted the best acts long before the 70’s . Loved the floating dance floor .

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Hmmm, I'm wondering if it was the Commodore Ballroom my g/f and I went to every Friday night. It had two different bands; one on the main floor and the other on the second. Neither music interfered with the other - and in thinking about it I don't know how that worked but it did.

We'd go out for dinner and then dance the night away. OMG the fun we had. Can't remember the name of the venue tho' so if you remember what the Commodore was like, was this where I went? It was what, 50 years ago? Wow, how time flies!

Reactions: Taxslave2