English Bay BC, May 16 2023

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I'm pretty sure you were thinking Starfish Room/ Club Soda being the jazzy club and a dance club being in the same building. Oil Can on Thurlow became the Metro. The only place that would have polka, country and a popping club would have been the Legion in Mt Pleasant anything else country would have been in Surrey or Cloverdale or possible the country bar on like Hamilton and Georgia sort of ish area.
Maybe the Kingstand ?

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
Kingsland . But maybe there was another venue on Hamilton . She might even be referring to my deft moves on the dance floor .
Country and western in 1970’s Vancouver . I can’t place that one .

something's not quite adding up here, pgs

anyway, does anyone remember the name of the bar on Broadway that was also touted to have Heart as the 'bar band'? It burned down in '73 or '74.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

anyway, does anyone remember the name of the bar on Broadway that was also touted to have Heart as the 'bar band'? It burned down in '73 or '74.
"So people still go, 'You're from Canada right?'"

Nancy certainly remembers the classic Canadian acts Heart would play with in those days.

"B.T.O. was just before our time," she says. "April Wine we toured with, we opened for them. Let's see, Nick Gilder... 'Hot Child in the City,' Anne Murray... I think Bryan Adams was right after. It was an interesting time.

"We played a lot of cabarets quite a bit because we were called back a lot. The Birdcage, White Rock, Starvin' Marvin's, the Zodiac Room in Vancouver. And we became the number one cabaret act in Vancouver... Yeah, it's our other hometown."

Reactions: 55Mercury

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

On Broadway was probably Starvin Marvin’s , Sort of a Quonset kind of building .

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
On Broadway was probably Starvin Marvin’s , Sort of a Quonset kind of building .
yeah, that was probably it. I did see Heart there the one time I went. It's funny how you'd think you can remember a name if you saw it, but going on nearly 50 years later and it still doesn't ring a bell! but Starvin Marvin's Bump City must've been it:

I personally knew Marvin Goldhar back when he had his after hours club on Davie and Burrard, called Marvin's. This was after Starvin Marvin's Bump City had burned to the ground. I worked there as the bouncer. What a weird place. I worked at Oil Can Harry's back in the day too on and off.

interesting that Marvin got murdered trying to collect a $10,000 coke debt.

Reactions: petros

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
yeah, that was probably it. I did see Heart there the one time I went. It's funny how you'd think you can remember a name if you saw it, but going on nearly 50 years later and it still doesn't ring a bell! but Starvin Marvin's Bump City must've been it:

I personally knew Marvin Goldhar back when he had his after hours club on Davie and Burrard, called Marvin's. This was after Starvin Marvin's Bump City had burned to the ground. I worked there as the bouncer. What a weird place. I worked at Oil Can Harry's back in the day too on and off.

interesting that Marvin got murdered trying to collect a $10,000 coke debt.
Yup sad . He was a good athlete back in the day .

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
It wasn't downtown, that I know for sure but I don't recall exactly where unfortunately.
Any where on the peninsula including west end is pretty much considered downtown to locals . We are just trying to help you remember . I personally have many good memories in that time frame like Mercury I played the Vancouver club scene in that era .

Reactions: Dixie Cup

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
Any where on the peninsula including west end is pretty much considered downtown to locals . We are just trying to help you remember . I personally have many good memories in that time frame like Mercury I played the Vancouver club scene in that era .
I was just a transient kid who walked all over Van and could most times barely afford to buy myself a beer. Wasn't much of a bar hopper but I did drink in the bars of the Gastown... was it Hotel or Inn? (and streetview tells me it is now the Lamplighter) I'm thinkin' 'Inn'... and later the Yale hotel. Went to plenty of concerts at the PNE back then. Saw lots of big name rock bands play for between 4 and 6 bux general admission. Balked at Neil Young wanting 10 bux, said screw you Neil, I like your stuff but not that much!

But you, pgs, you were in a band or am I misinterpreting? If so what was the name and what did you play?

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
No recollection at all of where it was located, sorry. I wish I could remember. Hell, I wish I could locate the "gals" I went with but they've likely married & I don't know what their names would be now. I have searched, unsuccessfully tho.

In the office where I worked at the time, there were 7 of us women, all single, so we went out together all the time. Have no clue where any of them are now. I moved from Van to Calgary cuz my "hubby" was stationed there & it's where we got married. I know one, Roz, who also moved back to Alberta even before I did but the last time I saw her she was in a parking lot in Calgary and she had become engaged. Never got the name of her fiancée much to my regret & I don't know where she landed because she was originally from Edmonton.

It would be fantastic if we could all get together, but I doubt that would ever happen.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I was just a transient kid who walked all over Van and could most times barely afford to buy myself a beer. Wasn't much of a bar hopper but I did drink in the bars of the Gastown... was it Hotel or Inn? (and streetview tells me it is now the Lamplighter) I'm thinkin' 'Inn'... and later the Yale hotel. Went to plenty of concerts at the PNE back then. Saw lots of big name rock bands play for between 4 and 6 bux general admission. Balked at Neil Young wanting 10 bux, said screw you Neil, I like your stuff but not that much!

But you, pgs, you were in a band or am I misinterpreting? If so what was the name and what did you play?
Nope not in any bands but was a booze hound in those days and spent time at various clubs and was friends with some performers . Nancy Wilson is very personable and became a good friend .

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
No recollection at all of where it was located, sorry. I wish I could remember. Hell, I wish I could locate the "gals" I went with but they've likely married & I don't know what their names would be now. I have searched, unsuccessfully tho.

In the office where I worked at the time, there were 7 of us women, all single, so we went out together all the time. Have no clue where any of them are now. I moved from Van to Calgary cuz my "hubby" was stationed there & it's where we got married. I know one, Roz, who also moved back to Alberta even before I did but the last time I saw her she was in a parking lot in Calgary and she had become engaged. Never got the name of her fiancée much to my regret & I don't know where she landed because she was originally from Edmonton.

It would be fantastic if we could all get together, but I doubt that would ever happen.
Yup it sucks how we loose track of good friends over time .

Reactions: Dixie Cup