English Bay BC, May 16 2023

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Hmmm, I'm wondering if it was the Commodore Ballroom my g/f and I went to every Friday night. It had two different bands; one on the main floor and the other on the second. Neither music interfered with the other - and in thinking about it I don't know how that worked but it did.

We'd go out for dinner and then dance the night away. OMG the fun we had. Can't remember the name of the venue tho' so if you remember what the Commodore was like, was this where I went? It was what, 50 years ago? Wow, how time flies!
Possibly Oil Can Harry’s, on Thurlow across from the Ritz Hotel . They had three rooms , one small piano bar playing Jazz , the main venue with the club band playing . The club band was Heart before they went on to fame and fortune . And another large room on top with mostly heavy rock bands . Was one of my favourite venues .

Reactions: Taxslave2

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Possibly Oil Can Harry’s, on Thurlow across from the Ritz Hotel . They had three rooms , one small piano bar playing Jazz , the main venue with the club band playing . The club band was Heart before they went on to fame and fortune . And another large room on top with mostly heavy rock bands . Was one of my favourite venues .
You know, Oil Can Harry's does ring a bell. Whether or not it was Oil Can Harry's or not, we had so much fun! I have to admit I really had a good time before I got married & for 4 years after before we had kids - then it went all down hill from there - not really, but wasn't able to "party" any more. Sigh... those were the days.

Reactions: Ocean Breeze

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
You know, Oil Can Harry's does ring a bell. Whether or not it was Oil Can Harry's or not, we had so much fun! I have to admit I really had a good time before I got married & for 4 years after before we had kids - then it went all down hill from there - not really, but wasn't able to "party" any more. Sigh... those were the days.
I can not think of any other multiple rooms in one venue but something seems to be hiding . Maybe Pete remembers .

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I can not think of any other multiple rooms in one venue but something seems to be hiding . Maybe Pete remembers .
Live music or dance? Was it strippers by day, club at night?

The Cave? Metro, Celebrities, Luv Affair, Big Bamboo, Starfish Room...hmmm

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Live music or dance? Was it strippers by day, club at night?

The Cave? Metro, Celebrities, Luv Affair, Big Bamboo, Starfish Room...hmmm
Where we went it was live music. We preferred country & western which was always downstairs; while I don't actually remember what was upstairs, I think it was pop and/or rock n roll. I'm not sure.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Where we went it was live music. We preferred country & western which was always downstairs; while I don't actually remember what was upstairs, I think it was pop and/or rock n roll. I'm not sure.
Country and western in 1970’s Vancouver . I can’t place that one .

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
Interestingly enough most of what passes for country music nowadays, had it come out in the 60s, they would've called rock and roll.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Country and western in 1970’s Vancouver . I can’t place that one .
Well it was there cuz I danced to it - 2-step, polka & even the butterfly on occasion, So much fun & the nice thing was the guys who went there were good dancers so I was dancing all night long. It was fun & good exercise as well LOL

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Well it was there cuz I danced to it - 2-step, polka & even the butterfly on occasion, So much fun & the nice thing was the guys who went there were good dancers so I was dancing all night long. It was fun & good exercise as well LOL
Across from CBC?

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Yes .the seventies... what an era that was. Same time frame for me. Did you see the barge that ended up in English Bay ?? I made a special trip to see it.;-)
Remember the wonderful sunsets on EB??? Awesome.
When I lived in Vancouver around 75 we could only afford to live around Victoria and Broadway.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Heart played my first wife's grad in POCO 74

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Not doubting you just can’t remember any downtown .

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Not doubting you just can’t remember any downtown .
I'm pretty sure you were thinking Starfish Room/ Club Soda being the jazzy club and a dance club being in the same building. Oil Can on Thurlow became the Metro. The only place that would have polka, country and a popping club would have been the Legion in Mt Pleasant anything else country would have been in Surrey or Cloverdale or possible the country bar on like Hamilton and Georgia sort of ish area.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Lamplighter.....
Gastown far away from where she was thinking .The best place for polka was the Ompapa at the foot of Main in the old CN Pies BC or something like that . The largest beer hall in B.C. Even beet out Inn of the North in P.G.

Reactions: Taxslave2